“Beachy experience, great time!”
Review of Redmangrove

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Villamil
Redmangrove
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here 2 nights as part of a land-based tour. This hotel is just as great as the Red Mangrove on Santa Cruz, just different! The rooms are a decent size and extremely clean. The beds are okay, but really, nothing is as good as your own bed at home! The a/c works well, it does make some noise but not too bad. The bathroom was clean and a decent size, they provide a hair dryer, soap, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, hand towels, face towels, but no face cloth (no place on our tour had face cloths, not even in Quito). The hotel is made up of 4? 5? rows of 2 rooms, with a separate small building for the kitchen & dining room. There are 2 tables with umbrellas that you can eat at or just hang out, and some lounge chairs on the patio. The hotel is right on a beautiful beach, and we found the water warm enough for swimming even in the "cold dry" (26C) season. Wifi is available by the kitchen.
Staff were lovely, spoke enough English to do their jobs. Red towels for the beach are available by asking at the kitchen, which also serves as the bar & reception area. Our food was included with our tour, so I can't comment on the price, but it was good quality food, mostly local.
Lots of activities are available nearby on Isabela, including snorkelling, scuba diving, giant tortoise breaking centre, wildlife watching...
I highly recommend visiting the Galápagos Islands as part of a tour, as it seemed to take a lot of organizing for the people we met who weren't part of a tour. The islands are mostly national park, and you can't enter most activities without a licensed guide. This is done to protect Galapagos, not to rob you of your money. Plus, the guides will help you navigate all the entrance fees & water taxis and speed boats (between the islands), and lots of other stuff that we on the tour didn't have to worry about at all. If you insist on coming on your own, do all your boat rides in the early afternoon (with plenty of gravol as the ride will be 90 mins to 3 hours in possibly very rough water) so you'll have time to check out from your previous island and get to the next one with time for an activity. I recommend not doing a cruise tour as a land-based tour allows more money to go to locals and directly to the national park.
As the sun goes down around 6-6:30pm & comes up around the same in the am, we were in bed by 9 so we could be up for most of the daylight hours. There aren't any shops apart from restaurants & activities, and we were only told of one bar that is open afternoon & evening (closed for supper) so this is not the place to go if you want a nightlife. Actually, if you are into parties, a Galápagos Islands vacation is probably not the vacation for you, as it's mostly wildlife watching, water activities, history, science, etc...
Tipping was appreciated but not expected. No souvenirs available, except photographs and great memories!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and were very satisfied. It's located close to the harbour and has a beautiful view of the beach. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Buffet syles meals were very tasty. You're a short walk from town, which I strongly recommend walking through. Snorkeling is available very close by, and you can see sea lions, rays, and sea turtles. Once again, if you have problems with sea sickness, stay here, not on a boat

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoePMV
Reviewed 2 August 2014

As I read the reviews left recently about this hotel, I wonder if we stayed at the same location. Yes, the hotel was on the beach. But the staff left a lot to be desired in terms of service. Our group arrived in darkness after a terrifying boat trip in a boat not equipped for night time ocean travel. We were shaken by the experience and all the hotel staff wanted to know was the name of our room so they could charge us for the drinks in the bar. There was no effort to apologize or to offer free drinks to make up for our harrowing water travel to this location in the dark. They knew we were arriving but had no ice and very little selection for beer. On the first night, the staff charged me for drinks from another party in our group and expected me to pay for these even though these were mixed drinks and I am a beer drinker.
The faucet in the bathroom was defective and we had trouble turning off the water stream once it started. The same is true for the shower. The water would not turn off.
At 10:30 pm promptly, the staff turned off the lights and locked the restaurant and bar and left the property. I searched our room for printed material about instructions about what to do in an emergency but there was no information available. The staff were off site and we had no way to contact our tour guide or hotel management and staff if we fell or if we had some medical emergency. There were only two printed documents in the room: the drinks available in the bar during happy hour and the hotel's desire to conserve water--ironic with the faucet that turned 360 degrees without effect.
I checked with the hotel manager about my departure since my itinerary said I was to leave at 6 am the next day. He told me that the boat departed the harbor at 6 am. I had to be packed and ready to leave the property at 5:30 am. I wonder when he expected to tell me this change from the itinerary? Luckily, I took responsibility to find out for myself.
The food was served buffet style and was mediocre.
When I travel, I do not expect perfection. I expect to be exposed to a different culture. So my review is not based on the fact that these conditions were different from those back home. They are based on the exorbitant prices charged for little value in return.
The tour company associated with this facility took us to locations where they knew there were no animals, just for the sake of saying we had been to a volcano, been snorkeling.
At the airport on our departure, it was sad to see the excitement of the other travelers who had been taken to swim with sea turtles and who had seen all the wonders of the Galapagos with other tours. Red Mangrove chose not to provide us with the same experiences. So I cannot recommend them to other travelers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Terry S
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We spent part of our honeymoon at Red Mangrove Isabela and absolutely loved it. Very friendly staff, gorgeous location, comfortable rooms. There is nothing not to love about this hotel...we even took advantage of their laundry service, we had clean clothes within 2 hours! A staff member was waiting for us at the dock upon arrival and took care of our bags and our island entry tax ($5 per person).

My only word of advise would be to take the 5 minute walk to the town center and eat there...lunch/dinner are ridiculously overpriced at Red Mangrove...while the lodge charges $30-$40 per person for dinner, we had an amazing dinner (grilled tuna / rice / beans / salad / plantains / soda) at Café Restaurant Gaviotas for $8 per person.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karol H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It was the closesest thing to nature without leaving a hotel. Sea lions will accompany you during your breakfast. It was a beautiful and romantic place to be with my wife. Very close to the action and they loan you bicicles for you go around.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed here as part of our excursion with the Travel Zoo special for Red Mangrove. The guest rooms are spacious and bathrooms are nice. All rooms are steps to the beach. There is a nice deck for relaxing and watching the sunset. Meals were fine with lots of selection to choose from and one drink was included the first night. The reception area closes early, so my advice is to fill up your water at dinner. We did not know the reception area closed early (8-ish) so we had to walk to town to have drinking water in the room. We did have a nice walk in town to explore the local church, plaza and restaurants. There are also pharmacies and small shops near the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

stayed here as part of the Travel Zoo special with the Red Mangrove and enjoyed it very much. We had a room right on the beach and loved it. The little town was small with only a few shops and places to wander in but so quiet and nice. The food was very good and the staff was helpful and attentive. The snorkeling was exceptional and we spent a good part of the day finding turtle after turtle. I wish we had more time to explore this island and hope to go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#7 of 10 in Isabela
La Casa de Marita
La Casa de Marita
#2 of 6 in Puerto Villamil

Been to Redmangrove? Share your experiences!