“Amazing service for an amazing time”
Review of Redmangrove

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Villamil
Redmangrove
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Amazing service for an amazing time”
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I was so happy with our whole trip to Galapagos through the Red Mangrove Tours. All ouf hotels and all the staff were amazing. In Isabella though, they went a step beyond. Our room was amazing, the staff extremely friendly and because we were on honeymoon - they decorated our room with fresh, local flowers, candles and candies. We also had a beachfront special dinner for two. The chefs were so gracious and attentive. It really was the most romantic night of our whole trip. Thank you Red Mangrove! I have recommended this tour to ALL my friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juandelhierro

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Dayton
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Red Mangrove! The hotel is small but is big on service! The staff is always willing to help in any way. I stayed 3 nights and loved listening to the ocean at night. The food was superb! I though I was in a 4 star restaurant as the plates were artisticlly done and taste even better than they looked! Red Mangrove does a superior job of setting up the diving in the morning and tours in the afternoon. The guides they used were very knowledgeable.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 18 August 2010

From start to finish the people of the Red Mangrove tours made my time in the Galapagos Islands exceptional. Specially our guides Alberto and Jimbo they where knowledgeable and personable. Also the staff in Isabela, Floreana and Puerto Ayora was great, they where aprocheable and friendly with all guests.

The hotels where nice and confortable, food was always fresh and with great presentation. We had plenty of land based and water based activities that were well coordinated and planned. Highlights included snorkeling with baby sea lions, sea turtles... On land, we saw amazing beaches, lava formations and tubes, pirate caves, giant tortoises, and beautiful scenery. I highly recommend this tour service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank viajafan
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 August 2010

For $200+ you would think this would be the lap of luxury. Although they do have some of the nicest looking rooms on the island, they don't match the price tag. We were given a beach front room that didn't have a view of the beach...just mangroves. The bed sheets hadn't been cleaned after we pulled back the covers to find black hairs and sand in the bed. Thank goodness there were two beds in the room. The room had no TV but did have AC. The rooms are located right next to a bar which plays their music until at least midnight. Bring earplugs. The breakfast was very good, but... that was all that was offered as far as food and drinks throughout the day. There are many other alternatives for less than $100 all along the beach which will give the price conscious traveler other viable alternatives. If you have tons of money, disregard this review.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fannonland
OpManager, Manager at Redmangrove, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear Fannonland,

Thank you for your candid feedback. We always appreciate honest and frank reviews by our guests. We would have hoped that you could have brought any issues to our attention while at the hotel so we could have addressed and corrected any issues on the spot.

We do not consider ourselves a luxury hotel, we are a private lodge with a spectacular private spot on the beach. With regard to the small row of Mangroves you mentioned, these are protected specieces of endemic plants and what our company is named after, many guests enjoy this piece of nature so close for you to enjoy.

Indeed, there are other hostels and motels with prices much cheaper, it all depends on your taste and every budget, and you are correct, in this lodge we have no TV .. and as many guests who have visited us say .. its better that way .. to sit and watch TV in such a beautiful island… I am sorry but I don’t’ really have a response for that.

Finally, on the bar you mention, we have already taken action in this matter to get them to comply with the noise standards established by the Municipality.

Sincere and Kind Regards

Roberto Dager
Lodges Operations Manager
England
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and my husband would have stayed longer! We loved being so close to the beach - seeing the blue-footed boobies dive bomb the ocean was a treat! Our room was clean, spacious and elegant. I slept very well!. All our meals were served in the restaurant just across the road. Again, the food was delicious and well presented - usually by the delightful, ever-smiling Kelly!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank EnglandAnnie2
Marshall, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We got the Escalacia room right on the beach. Rooms were clean with extra towels for beach activities. Food was good. Kelly (one of the hotel staff) even let us use her cell phone to call home (using a card we had already purchased). We were greeted each afternoon with yummy hot chocolate after our day of activities. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Chickadee60
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I would not rate this hotel as poor if it were not to balance out the other ratings that I believe are too high and very deceiving. I chose to stay here, because of those ratings and felt misled. It was our honeymoon, therefore, I was willing to pay for better accomodations. I feel that we paid for a Sheraton and got a clean Holiday Inn. The price is exorbitant for Galapagos standards, yet the accomodations are very average.

The best part of this hotel was the service, specifically one gentleman named Jerome. What if he is no longer there? A hotel simply can not be rated based on the service of one gentleman, which was 5 stars. The other employees were not even close to five stars (see below).

I would have rated the location better had I been able to see the ocean while I was relaxing on their back porch, however, the view is completely blocked by Red Mangroves while sitting/lounging.

They were doing construction while we were there. This interrupted a nice afternoon siesta between activities. When I mentioned it to a woman behind the front desk she made no apologies, said it wasn't construction (we heard electric saws), and said they were only "pouring rocks" (yes, this is still a very loud activity outside our window). She made it sound like it was for our benefit so that it wasn't sandy around the premises. No, it really wasn't for our benefit. We paid, rather overpaid, for peace and quiet and to rest if we felt like resting in the middle of the day.

The room was very clean with the exception of a few stained towels, very stained, as in I don't want that touching my body. While I appreciate they do not use bleach for environmental reasons, we paid enough for them to take those towels out of circulation and use them as rags.

The breakfast they served was very delicious, and that gets a thumbs up. However, they do not serve other meals (as indicated) unless a group or tour is passing through. They don't even have tea or coffee available after breakfast.

Bring your own tea bags and ear plugs if you choose to stay at this overpriced hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple