“A chance to unwind”

The Wooden House Lodge
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We visited the Wooden House in the middle of a two-week tour and it gave us a great opportunity to relax in more comfort than in some of our other stops.

We loved the wooden panelling and high ceiling in our room & the shower was strong and warm too.

The laundry service was very welcome and probably cut our luggage weight down by a kilo or two after 2 nights muddy camping.

Quality food and very helpful staff.

Situated roughly equidistant to the harbour and main part of the town - this suited us, as they were the 2 places we visited most.

Thanks

Room Tip: Rooms over the communal area were spacious with a lounge outside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Wooden House Lodge is a beautiful place to stay at Isabella Island. Especially off season you can get a very good deal on the expensive Galapagos Islands.
Also a reason to pick this place is that it is very close to the harbour, nice if you have to catch the morning speed boat back to Santa Cruz, at 6.00 am! Although breakfast starts normally at 7.00 am, they made us a take-away breakfast the evening before!
The city is only a 10 minutes walk away. The house itself is nicely decorated.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My husband and I went to Galapagos and it has been one of our best trips so far. We booked an island hopping package with The Wooden House Lodge for 5 days 4 nights. The first night we stayed in Santa Cruz and the rest of the nights in Isabella. It was the best decision we made for this trip. They scheduled all our activities, took care of meals and transportation, and provided the best tour guides. And by the best tour guides I mean the park rangers knew the best times to takes us anywhere so we avoided crowds and were able to enjoy all sightseeings as if we were the only two people there among nature. Once in Isabella, Andres and Vivi received us in the Wooden House. They made sure we had a comfortable and secure experience. The Wooden House works together with Scuba Galapagos http://www.scubagalapagos.com/ . Andres is a certified diver instructor (there is only few certified diving companies, so make sure not to risk your life by going to a "cheaper" diving tour). We went snorkeling with Andres and he was kind enough to swim with me and show me all kinds of underwater life. All meals were fresh, organic and delicious. Everyday we had something new and exotic to indulge. The rooms and bathroom were clean. The lodge is located walking distance to the beach. We didn't have any inconvenience during our trip and I believe it was all because of The Wooden House. They took care of everything and were always kind and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and the packages they offer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Overall this was a very nice place to stay. The staff at the Wooden House was great. They were extremely responsive to any issues we had and went out of their way to organize trips and tours for us. Also, because they operate their own tour company they gave us discounts and picked us up from the hotel for our tours. The rooms were very clean, even for international standards. Finally, the food was great! Jorge, the chef, made some pretty phenomenal meals. Definitely a notch up from many of the local restaurants.

The only issues we encountered was noise from scuba tank refilling and the lack of wifi access in the hotel. But both of these problems were fairly easily sorted. The staff made sure to turn of the noisy pump whenever we requested and were aware of the issue. Although their was no internet at the hotel itself, the management will allow you to log on at their headquarters a few blocks away whenever you need access. So, if anything, the solving of these minor issues illustrated how receptive the staff is to its customers' needs.

Would stay here again on a future visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at the Wooden House on Isabela island in the Galapagos. It was a fantastic experience, beautiful rooms with spectacular wood (of course!) with exceptionally comfortable beds. The daily service was exceptional as well and we never had an issue or complaint. Additionally, we ate 3 dinners there at the hotel and the food was outstanding! It was fresh and well prepared with the local flavor.

We would highly recommend this hotel for anyone going to the Galapagos. We will return!

Room Tip: Choose a room with windows facing 2 directions to take advantage of the breezes!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Firstly puerto villamill is an amazing place with beaches, wildlife, snorkelling & diving hotspots and much more. The wooden house is a great base and is literally 1 minute walk from the port where and the amazing concha de perla. The staff are friendly and smiling and pedro the owner is extremely helpful. I had to leave at 5.30 in the morning and get my way onto the speedboat to Santa crux to make my flight. Pedro knew this and also knew that my Spanish was rubbish so he brought me to the pier organised the boat and explained everything. You cannot put a price on that.

It was very much low season I. The hotel and there was only a few guests staying but the food was very good and the services and tours were well organised and well run. Jessica was a tour guide who took me out for the day cycling around the wall of tears and many other sites. She also organised the loan of a bike and some snorkelling gear for me. Again this personal touch was what made my time in Isabella. I would have no hesitation in recommending the wooden house or Isabella. My only fear is that when I get back it will look more like puerto ayora in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This hotel was a brilliant find. It has really nice cosy rooms and is in a great location, really close to the beach. The food was really nice and so was atmosphere. In addition to this the staff couldnt do more to help and they were really friendly. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends