“overpriced and far from five star”
Review of Iguana Crossing

Iguana Crossing
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have just returned from six nights on Isabela Island the first two at Iguana Crossing. It is much more expensive than any other hotel by a long way and sure it looks good. The pool is lovely and so is the hot tub and the staff very friendly. However it was not in our view worth the significant extra money. The room had a balcony but the fly screen was rusted and hard to move, the curtain backing had perished in some areas which was very obvious early morning when the sun shone through. The beds were very comfortable and linen great and I could even put up with the shower timer but the toilet didn't flush well and needed several goes. Plus some other little issues such as remote batteries dead etc that were fixed quickly but still a hassle. Plus the food was pretty terrible. Overall not worth it the five times extra to stay - we moved to a $50 per night down the road and were very happy there.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel V

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Lots of potential for this property. The location facing the sea is gorgeous and the bar/lounge takes full advantage of the views. I enjoyed strolling the quiet beach as well as walking to the tortoise reserve and flamingo lake. The pool area is well kept. My guess is that rooms looking out to the sea are quite fine. Because the hotel is very expensive, I booked a volcano view room. It was comfortable but the view was marred by the backstage of the hotel. In addition, dining room noise came right up through the floor. Service is a mixed bag, possibly due to language barriers and to the inexperience of some staff. The guest has to put too much work into getting lunch and dinner to happen and getting basic information about hotel services. Meals were okay to good. I don't know what the constraints are in maintaining a restaurant on Isabela but I do think the menu could be enhanced. For example, sandwiches might be added for lunch and specials for dinner.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank cvalent9
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am in my late 20s living in Galapagos from the United States, please don't make the same mistake as me and be fooled by the polished seeming exterior of the hotel and expectation of fine dinning. The wait staff was young, inexperienced, inconsiderate, food was horrible...the girl with braces at the front desk said we had to wait 30min for a table so we sat at the bar where the 3 other people I was with finally had their drink orders taken (about 10 min after menus were given). She forgot my wine, asked us to order our dinners sitting at the bar to put it in to the kitchen. We thought it was odd, but did it assuming it was crowded. We were escorted into the dining area 30min later to see an empty dining room, only 2 other tables of approx. 10 tables occupied and our food waiting for us on trays when we got there. The food had been sitting there for some time (cooked fish was not hot or even warm), the plates were $20-$30 each and nothing special....I would go as far to even say terrible. The fish also made me sick to my stomach. I've been living in the Galapagos now for 4months and had no problems before. They even messed up the order of 2 of the people with me and were totally unapologetic about it AND over charged me for the wine. I dont know if staying at the hotel is better but by god DO NOT EAT HERE. I do not take recommendations lightly, please stay away...sick, waste of money, boo.

Room Tip: did not stay in hotel, just came for dinner.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Carolyn K
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel was nice, but our air conditioner beeped an annoying tune every 2-10 minutes all night long, even after it was turned off. Also the 8 seconds of water in the sink and shower were annoying.
The food was great and the views were awesome. The beach is directly across the sand road. It's a very short walk to the nice, friendly town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jim J
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I really enjoyed my stay there. The showers are a bit annoying because they're water-saving, but I really didn't mind it. Right on the beach with a beautiful view. Also a short walk from all of the restaurants, bars, and activities in town. About a 20 minute walk on a nice little boardwalk to the Tortoise Breeding Center.

Room Tip: The hot tub was cold and never got warm, but it was on the roof so that was really neat!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank smacway
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We spent 2 days at this hotel and loved it. Very nice reception, yummy food (many menu choices offered). I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to fellow travelers. The only thing I would change is the shower timer that shut off the water every 8 seconds. So coming back from kayaking or snorkeling would be nice to have a continuos water flow.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Rooms were clean, food was delicious and the view of the beach from our room was beautiful. It was nice to hear the sound of the ocean at night. Showers automatically turn off after 8 seconds to save water so you need to push the button to keep the water going. Good to have wireless (only available in lobby and bar). I would stay here again if I were to return.

• Stayed: September 2013
#8 of 10 in Isabela
Brisas del Mar
Brisas del Mar
#10 of 10 in Isabela

Been to Iguana Crossing? Share your experiences!