“Best experience ever!!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Best experience ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My stay at Iguana Crossing was full of prestige from the moment I walked in. I am a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force and well traveled to some of the most alluring and exotic places in the world. Right after my deployment to South Korea I chose Iguana Crossing and in doing so, suddenly became the very top of my list of favorite, most exciting, most recommendable places of any that I have had the pleasure to encounter. This Boutique Hotel compliments the Galapagos Islands and serves as great example of what service to the customer should be with their gracious bilingual professional employees.
At first glance Iguana Crossing seemed to be surrounded by an aura of positive energy and delight. Their architecture gave much awe. Coming from a New Yorker, which I am, I can honestly say, awe is not so much a part of my vocabulary but describing this hotel without such a word would discredit my exceptional experience with such an extraordinary boutique hotel.
The food in Iguana Crossing was exquisite. They truly have a restaurant worth dining in everyday and their drinks taste professionally made. Their infinity pool is one of the most gracious and cleanest I've ever seen. The attention to detail was tremendous in every aspect of this hotel, starting with their entrance going to their patio area, their restaurant and ending in their rooms. There cannot be anything negative I could say about my experience with Iguana Crossing.
I write this today because of the negative comments I have read recently and felt compelled to defend my experience at Iguana Crossing. This place was where I met my wife who bears my child at the moment, who was also visiting this hotel at the time. I can say without a doubt that this island alone is enchanting in a sense that brought me great peace.
I will be returning soon to Iguana Crossing and I cannot wait!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Khalidkure

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

It has taken me a while to get around posting our experience at this hotel, but after reading the reviews from the folks from Germany, I felt compelled to go ahead and write a review of our own experience. We spent one week at Iguana Crossing right before Christmas, my wife, 4 year old daughter and 5 year old son. With all due respect to personal preferences, expectations, and cultural differences, I think differences in the experience will inevitably occur from person to person, especially in these type of remote locations, ours, thankfully, was a truly great experience. To add a bit of perspective, I must say that I have had the good fortune of travelling and staying at some of the best properties around the world, from Dubai to Argentina, Hong Kong to Manhattan, Grand Cayman to Germany, and I think that, whether we like it or not, circumstances (or perhaps luck), both real or perceived, exert a great deal of influence upon the overall quality of our experience. Granted, top notch hotel management should provide a consistent, high quality experience for each and every guest, every time, on every level, but my goodness, when you are on a volcanic island, a thousand miles away from a developing country on the middle of the equator, and only native people, born on the island or married to someone born on the island, are authorized to remain more than three months at a time, can you imagine the hell it must be to find, train, and retain consistently professional staff? I actually take my hat off that they can come close to offering the experience that Iguana Crossing does pull off, more often than not. Keep in mind, Isabela is the largest island in terms of land mass, but certainly not in terms of population.
I tend to adjust my expectations based on reality to avoid being disappointed due to possibly unrealistic expectations, and then I hope my luck (circumstances) fall in my favor. After all, I want to relax. I remember paying almost seven hundred US dollars per night at one of the best resorts in Key West, only to be treated with thinly veiled contempt by several staff members when asking for items as simple as a towel or trying to purchase a drink at the pool bar. Now take this to the middle of nowhere, shrink the pool of qualified hospitality industry candidates to nearly zero, and work to provide a consistent world class experience. I honestly thought they did an awesome job overall at Iguana Crossing. We rented the master suite, with a large balcony, and we loved the room. We ate breakfast downstairs every morning, and it was acceptable, the coffee was good, and they had enough variety for the kids. The dinners were excellent, the service tried really hard to take care of everything we asked for, and I can't think of anything that we lacked for during our stay. Also, upstairs in the terrace where the jacuzzi and south beach type white sofas are located, there is a phone placed on the counter of the bar, you pick up the phone and ask for whatever you want and they will bring it.
A couple of tips: 1.- Ask them to turn on the jacuzzi an hour before you want to get in so the temperature is adequate. 2.- Use the phone...call from your room, or from the terrace and ask for what you want, I personally found them extremely helpful and quick. 3.- Use your elbow to keep pressing the button that keeps the shower water flowing. At the risk of being considered irresponsible by some of the more environmentally conscious readers, I found it annoying to have the water cut off automatically every 7 seconds or so. 4.- Fill out the pre-registration form to travel to the Galapagos, saves time at the airport. I googled "registro galapagos" and found it, but the site is mostly in spanish. The link I am copying to the actual page may not work, but anyway this is the page address I got to begin the pre registration process: http://190.214.30.5:8080/cgg-web/query.jsp
Disclaimer: I speak fluent spanish, as do my wife and kids. I look "american" or "german" so many people automatically tried speaking to me in those languages. Enjoy freaking them out when I answer in spanish.
If you go, hope you have a great time. I will post some pictures of our time there.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the master suite. Definitely, get the ocean side.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 Nights in this Hotel and hoped to have a wonderful relaxing experience. We accepted the higher price as we thought it would be worth it. No it was not. The Service is very poor, the rooms are ok but without any atmosphere. The vulcano view is rather a view into a durt hole. In sum, it is Not what you expect to See for that price and the service is very frustrating. After our experience I must admit I would definately Not recommend to stay there at all.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Inga S
Urbana, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

It is a very nice hotel with helpful staff and good food. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but may not be for you if you like to do your bathroom stuff in private. The bathroom doors in the guest rooms are made of transparent glass, so anyone in the room can see you on the toilet. Why even bother having a door to the bathroom if you're going to make it see-thru?

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Snig2002
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Iguana Crossing was the ideal place for us to spend our honeymoon in the Galapagos! The location is private and on a great stretch of beach with small rustic bars & restaurants close by. Its'staff is very friendly and accommodating:) The hotel has an awesome pool deck, palapa shade area & rooftop deck with jacuzzi to relax and is steps from the beach:) Tours can be organized at the front desk to all of the major sights on Isabela. We hope to return to Isabela and when we do we will be staying at Iguana Crossing!

Room Tip: Upstairs has spectacular views!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Aspley Guise, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Although not yet marked on the tourist maps of Isabela, the Iguana Crossing Hotel should be your first port of call if you have a couple of free days on this beautiful and huge island. Sited between a lagoon and a stunning sandy beach, the hotel really does offer its clients the chance to see iguanas crossing, as they migrate early each morning from overnight hiding places in the lagoon to sun themselves on the rocky outcrops of the beach.
The hotel itself is a delight, benefiting from its great location at the end of the main drag, with a large infinity pool overlooking the beach and a shaded Marrakech style area where you can sit when the sun gets too much. Food and drink were delicious and we chose to eat in most days, particularly enjoying the fish ceviche. The staff could not do enough to make sure our stay was perfect and the rooms were large, clean and had great showers and all mod cons, with especially comfortable beds.
I would return there tomorrow if was visiting the Galapagos.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My daughter and I shared a room here as part of a ROW tour so were not really aware of the price of the room and meals. We had a first floor room overlooking the pool, and loved our view of the beach across the road. The AC was hard to control so we ended up turning it off at night and just enjoyed the sound of the ocean and the fresh air through the large balcony sliding door. It was hot but we were used to the heat by then. Everything was impeccably clean at the hotel, and fresh purified water was provided in our room every day. The breakfast buffet had lots of choices for vegetarians and omnivores alike, with a small omelet station, fresh tropical juices and fruits, interesting local specialties, etc. Lots of delicious fish choices at dinner, too.

The location of the hotel is wonderful because you can watch iguanas crossing the road from the front steps or lobby. The beach (and lots more iguanas) is just a few steps away. It's an easy walk into the small town if you want to try other restaurants or shop for a few necessities. And the bar has an amazing view of the ocean and sunset.

My only complaint was that there was only one place provided to dry wet swimsuits, wetsuits, and snorkel gear: a line in the shower. None of our stuff ever dried there, and we were asked not to leave anything on the balcony to dry (we did anyway overnight when we figured no one would see it.)

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the ocean. The lagoon on the other side has a persistent sulphur odor is no...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 24 in Puerto Villamil
Casita de la Playa
Casita de la Playa
#2 of 24 in Puerto Villamil

Been to Iguana Crossing? Share your experiences!