“The best hotel in Galapagos by far!”
Review of Iguana Crossing

Iguana Crossing
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Guayaquil
“The best hotel in Galapagos by far!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

From the moment we arrived the service was not only amazing but also very personalized.

They arranged a seafood bbq for the whole group of 14 on the roof terrace with full bar service.

The food was great, they also arranged the tours for us!

Really looking forward to going back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank thetrunk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Siena, Italy
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This wonderfully beautiful beach hotel located in one of the most amazing sea fronts, is the closest thing to paradise, the atention to detail in the room facing the Galapagos ocean, made my stress disappear. My eternal gratitude to the incrediblly nice staff.

Room Tip: Master Suite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This place is like heaven!!!! You have a wonderful view...I took like a hundred of pictures...Amazing! Wonderful experience.The staff was very caring and always had an ear for me to make my stay even better.

Can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Genesis_Zambrano
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had paid a bit more to get the sea view and we weren't disappointed!

The staff on arrival were so friendly and welcoming and our room was upgraded due to the air con not working in the room we had booked. The room we were upgraded to was gorgeous. Absolutely huge, big comfortable bed, large balcony, amazing sea views and a great bathroom with double shower.

We ate in the restaurant the first night and the staff had set us up a lovely table in the lounge as opposed to the dining room, which was lovely. The food is advertised as world class, and whilst it was nice, I probably wouldn't put it up there with world class. We also ordered fruit juices from the bar and they took quite a while to be made and weren't great, very watery. Breakfast was ok, not a huge selection.

The pool was perfect for chilling out in after a morning of exploring. Very clean and comfortable day beds. It was very hot whilst we were there, so a little bit of shade over the pool or day beds would have been lovely, but there were umbrellas over the tables we could sit at.

We took a day trip through the hotel which was $90 per person and was fantastic, we got to see so much wildlife and did a lot of snorkelling. The same day trip was only $70 from some others in town, but as we didn't have cash we had to pay the higher price.

The location was amazing. Directly across from the beach and it was so surreal watching the iguanas crossing at the iguana crossing!!! A 25 min walk to the port is recommended, so many sealions and iguanas, we even saw some penguins swimming about and rays.

As mentioned in other posts, it can be annoying having to keep pressing the shower every 7 seconds. I completely understand why this is done, but 7 seconds really doesn't seem long enough to even start washing shampoo out your hair!! Maybe 15 seconds would be a bit better?!

We did stay on Santa Cruz, but had a much better time on isabela and much better value for money. Whilst still expensive, not as bad compared to other galapagos hotels. We had an awful experience with Red Mangrove, so would choose Iguana crossing over red mangrove any day.

The only small disappointments we had were that I had advised the hotel before hand that we were coming to celebrate my wife's birthday and they said they would arrange something special, but nothing happened. Not a big issue, but would have been a nice personal touch.

Also I had accidentally left some clothes in one of the drawers when we checked out and when we called later that day to see if I could get them sent over to the island we were on, they were unable to find my clothes.

Overall though a fantastic stay. We would stay here again in a heartbeat and would have loved to have stayed longer. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and will be the first place we go if we ever return to the galapagos.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MeetTheEdwards
Harrow, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had an ocean view room#4 that looked out over the pool to the ocean. The room was very clean and modern and we had no issues with anything. Yes, the shower is annoying but you have to understand there is a water shortage on Isabela Island.
The breakfast buffet does not have a huge selection but is adequate and the staff is very helpful. We did eat there for dinner and actually had them set a table for us in the lovely lounge room with a wonderful view which is much nicer than the dining room. The food was very good and they had a decent wine selection. Again, the staff was very nice.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for it's fabulous view, relaxing atmosphere and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view room, much nicer than the volcano view rooms in the back
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wine_travels0690
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My stay at Iguana Crossing was full of prestige from the moment I walked in. I am a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force and well traveled to some of the most alluring and exotic places in the world. Right after my deployment to South Korea I chose Iguana Crossing and in doing so, suddenly became the very top of my list of favorite, most exciting, most recommendable places of any that I have had the pleasure to encounter. This Boutique Hotel compliments the Galapagos Islands and serves as great example of what service to the customer should be with their gracious bilingual professional employees.
At first glance Iguana Crossing seemed to be surrounded by an aura of positive energy and delight. Their architecture gave much awe. Coming from a New Yorker, which I am, I can honestly say, awe is not so much a part of my vocabulary but describing this hotel without such a word would discredit my exceptional experience with such an extraordinary boutique hotel.
The food in Iguana Crossing was exquisite. They truly have a restaurant worth dining in everyday and their drinks taste professionally made. Their infinity pool is one of the most gracious and cleanest I've ever seen. The attention to detail was tremendous in every aspect of this hotel, starting with their entrance going to their patio area, their restaurant and ending in their rooms. There cannot be anything negative I could say about my experience with Iguana Crossing.
I write this today because of the negative comments I have read recently and felt compelled to defend my experience at Iguana Crossing. This place was where I met my wife who bears my child at the moment, who was also visiting this hotel at the time. I can say without a doubt that this island alone is enchanting in a sense that brought me great peace.
I will be returning soon to Iguana Crossing and I cannot wait!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Khalidkure
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

It has taken me a while to get around posting our experience at this hotel, but after reading the reviews from the folks from Germany, I felt compelled to go ahead and write a review of our own experience. We spent one week at Iguana Crossing right before Christmas, my wife, 4 year old daughter and 5 year old son. With all due respect to personal preferences, expectations, and cultural differences, I think differences in the experience will inevitably occur from person to person, especially in these type of remote locations, ours, thankfully, was a truly great experience. To add a bit of perspective, I must say that I have had the good fortune of travelling and staying at some of the best properties around the world, from Dubai to Argentina, Hong Kong to Manhattan, Grand Cayman to Germany, and I think that, whether we like it or not, circumstances (or perhaps luck), both real or perceived, exert a great deal of influence upon the overall quality of our experience. Granted, top notch hotel management should provide a consistent, high quality experience for each and every guest, every time, on every level, but my goodness, when you are on a volcanic island, a thousand miles away from a developing country on the middle of the equator, and only native people, born on the island or married to someone born on the island, are authorized to remain more than three months at a time, can you imagine the hell it must be to find, train, and retain consistently professional staff? I actually take my hat off that they can come close to offering the experience that Iguana Crossing does pull off, more often than not. Keep in mind, Isabela is the largest island in terms of land mass, but certainly not in terms of population.
I tend to adjust my expectations based on reality to avoid being disappointed due to possibly unrealistic expectations, and then I hope my luck (circumstances) fall in my favor. After all, I want to relax. I remember paying almost seven hundred US dollars per night at one of the best resorts in Key West, only to be treated with thinly veiled contempt by several staff members when asking for items as simple as a towel or trying to purchase a drink at the pool bar. Now take this to the middle of nowhere, shrink the pool of qualified hospitality industry candidates to nearly zero, and work to provide a consistent world class experience. I honestly thought they did an awesome job overall at Iguana Crossing. We rented the master suite, with a large balcony, and we loved the room. We ate breakfast downstairs every morning, and it was acceptable, the coffee was good, and they had enough variety for the kids. The dinners were excellent, the service tried really hard to take care of everything we asked for, and I can't think of anything that we lacked for during our stay. Also, upstairs in the terrace where the jacuzzi and south beach type white sofas are located, there is a phone placed on the counter of the bar, you pick up the phone and ask for whatever you want and they will bring it.
A couple of tips: 1.- Ask them to turn on the jacuzzi an hour before you want to get in so the temperature is adequate. 2.- Use the phone...call from your room, or from the terrace and ask for what you want, I personally found them extremely helpful and quick. 3.- Use your elbow to keep pressing the button that keeps the shower water flowing. At the risk of being considered irresponsible by some of the more environmentally conscious readers, I found it annoying to have the water cut off automatically every 7 seconds or so. 4.- Fill out the pre-registration form to travel to the Galapagos, saves time at the airport. I googled "registro galapagos" and found it, but the site is mostly in spanish. The link I am copying to the actual page may not work, but anyway this is the page address I got to begin the pre registration process: http://190.214.30.5:8080/cgg-web/query.jsp
Disclaimer: I speak fluent spanish, as do my wife and kids. I look "american" or "german" so many people automatically tried speaking to me in those languages. Enjoy freaking them out when I answer in spanish.
If you go, hope you have a great time. I will post some pictures of our time there.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the master suite. Definitely, get the ocean side.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
#4 of 27 in Puerto Villamil
The Wooden House Lodge
The Wooden House Lodge
#1 of 27 in Puerto Villamil

Been to Iguana Crossing? Share your experiences!