“Hotel staff was fantastic during an emergency”
Review of Iguana Crossing

Iguana Crossing
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hotel staff was fantastic during an emergency”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. We happened to be on Isabela during a freak tsunami red alert (Chile had had a giant earthquake that the USGS thought might bring a tsunami our way; this is a very rare occurrence, and shouldn't deter anyone from going to the Galapagos!). I was, as one might imagine, extremely alarmed, but the hotel had an excellent emergency plan and evacuated us to the hotel owner's place up in the hills, where we would be safe. Furthermore, once we were there, they went to great lengths to assure our comfort, bringing sandwiches, cake(!), a whole lot of water, extra mosquito repellent, building a fire, and on and on and on. Their hospitality was extraordinary. Within five hours, the alert was lifted. There was no tsunami. We went back down to the beautiful hotel and enjoyed a few wonderful days of seeing animals. Would recommend this place with all my heart.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carbonarapasta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My wife and I ventured to this amazing property last month, March 2014. From the get go, Felipe and Alejandra (whom I believe are the owners) were wonderful at accommodating our requests between our dinners, our non-obstructed ocean front/view room, et al. A very easy, one-to-one engagement, which is rare.

The property/location was ideal to us in a sleepy little town in Isabela. Pictures of the resort do not do it justice - the craftsmanship that went into the resort design, pool, woodwork, etc alongside a very open/open air design was stellar. And you won't be disappointed as the resort lives up to its name with daily crossings of the Iguana's. Proximity is great as your just off the path to the town center (although very small town center) providing even more intimacy, but an easy 3-5 minute walk.

The coastal and highland zones are all wonderfully visible from the property itself, and the resort will undoubtably make any excursion for you upon request. And yes, plenty of sea lions in near proximity!

I'd say this simple review does not do this resort, island or location justice - a magical destination, but one last point of recognition I'd like to make was to our new friend Emma who I believe was one of the manager's - above and beyond she stood out to us and went on to help my wife and I on varying requests, as well as simply being a genuine kind, friendly and professional person. Although I can't recall a couple of the other individuals we engaged often....all top notch

Cheers!

Room Tip: Top or bottom floor facing ocean are all great, but 2nd floor provides more view. All balconies are...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamesschildknecht
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this wonderful hotel a few weeks ago. Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were expecting a fantastic hotel and we weren't disappointed! We splurged and booked an oceanview junior suite (room 8) which was amazing. Our balconey wrapped around the hotel and we had an oceanview and a sideview of the lagoon. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely go back if we are fortunate to get back to the Galapagos! Staying on Isabela and at the Iguana Crossing was one of the highlights of our trip!

Room Tip: Room 8 had an amazing view of the ocean and a side view of the lagoon where we could see the iguanas...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JanetOO7
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We couldn't have picked a better hotel to spend our vacation in the Galapagos. The place not only blends in perfectly with the pristine feel of the island, but the staff was so friendly and hospitable! They always found a way to accommodate our needs. The food was also out of this world. During our entire stay in the island we only ate at the hotel. We were told that the restaurants around town were very good, but the hotel offered a wide selection of local flavors that we couldn't resist but to try them all! The room we got was also very comfortable: an amazing view, complimentary drinking water, warm water in the shower, AC... Overall, it was a wonderful experience! Plus, the hotel is located right in front of the beach, so you can enjoy the island's beautiful scenery and fauna while taking a swim in the pool. On our last night, we enjoyed freshly grilled seafood on the hotel's breathtaking sundeck. We would definitely go back!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PS_ec
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the nicest on the island, but needs some updating. We booked an ocean view room and it has a beautiful room but the pillows on the bed had holes in them and the comforters on both beds had stains. The bathroom was up to date but the ceiling could use a coat of paint. The service and the pool area make this hotel. We ate at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Anything we asked for the staff was very accommodating. Now the problem and I did not tell the hotel because I wanted to make sure what I thought at the time was correct. On the second day of our trip I counted the money in my wallet and it seemed like something was missing. I wrote down how much I had spent and I was sure that some cash had been stolen from my wallet in the safe. I thought I made a mistake in the amount of cash I took out but unfortunately I was wrong. It was only $60 and I probably would of left it as a tip but it soured our experience. Also a group of friends of the owner were staying at the hotel and the made it hard to enjoy the hotel. They would drink and smoke all day by the pool which made it hard to relax. Also they were very loud and it made it hard to sleep. Overall it is a very nice hotel but unfortunately we had a bad experience.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Kenmattson
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Spend 5 days with our two teen boys in march.
Lovely quiet boutique hôtel .
Confortable large rooms.
Excellent service, friendly and helpfull staff.
Food was excellent .
Had dinner by the pool facing the sea one evening.
Location was perfect , walking distance the park entrance.
Loved Isabela Island, for it's wilderness .
The hôtel arranged for us two great excursions , one snorkling in the tunnels, and one walk to the volcano siéra nigra.
Would definetely go back.
Thank you Pedro for a perfect stay!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Embarquement
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It has an amazing view of the beach, which has turquoise waters and white sand. The food is delicious and the people in the hotel and in the island are extremely kind, friendly and helpful! You get to relax and enjoy the view if you want to; or be a bit more adventorous and enjoy the island life! I would definitely choose this hotel again. We had a great time!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
#4 of 27 in Puerto Villamil
The Wooden House Lodge
The Wooden House Lodge
#1 of 27 in Puerto Villamil

Been to Iguana Crossing? Share your experiences!