“Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles

El Faro
Price range: US$3 - US$20
Cuisines: Latin, International, Ecuadorean
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Brecon, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I booked an all inclusive tour to Isabela and this is the restaurant where my meals were served.
Almuerzo and dinner were really good, you get to choose between fish, chicken and beef for the second plate which is common in Ecuador and the cheapest option. All of the dishes I had were delicious - the soups were creamy which was a nice change from the watery soup I have got used to here!
Breakfast was decent however I think everyone turning up at 7am to eat and having to be ready for 7.30am for the volcano tour seemed to fluster the staff and make them a little disorganised - not sure why as this must happen on a daily basis?!
Regardless, I really enjoyed the food which is the most important thing!

• Korean first
Cologne, Germany
“Same food everyday...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The "El Faro" restaurante seems to be a spot where different travel agencies organized meals for the "all-inclusive tourists" from different hotels from Puerto Villamil - like us. To dine once at this place is okay - but when you realize, that they serve for dinner the leftovers from lunch, you get disappointed - when you eat the same dish 3 days in a row, you are done with that place. The so called fish-soup was disgusting and I could not finish it.

For the "dish of the day" you can only chose between meat or fish - and it will always be the same.

The price was even for Galapagos quite high - and the food was not sufficient.

At least the staff was quite friendly, but they do not speak a word of english.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank G R
Gatineau, Canada
“Food was ok...but prices increased during the dinner!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Upon arrival at this restaurant, we were told by a waiter that the Cena (dinner special) was 7$ per person and we opted for that option. The food was good, but nothing special, the usual soup, juice and protein+rice. At 7$, I thought it was an honnest price...The problem is that at the end of the dinner, the bill came and we realized that the price has increased to 8,50$ per person...! We spoke with the owner and she told us that her employee had probably forgot the change of price and that we still had to pay the new price. We did, but never went back to that restaurant, because what they offer for 8,50$, you can easily find for 5$-6$-7$ at many other restaurants.

• Visited January 2014
Vista, California, United States
“Amazing Budget Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We visited Isabela in mid-September 2013. We were traveling on a backpacker's budget. After trying out a bunch of different places and being really disappointed by the quality of the almuerzo and cena we got we found El Faro. The dishes were perfect, and it was one of two restaurants in our entire two week stay on Galapagos that had options instead of one set dish for cena. I don't eat fish, so having the option to get beef or chicken was perfect while my boyfriend ordered the fish. The meal was huge and typical of cena: a big bowl of soup, then a plate of meat, rice, and a salad, plus a cup of juice (their papaya jugo is to die for, and the chicken is incredible). The soups here were my favorite in all of Ecuador. When I told our server this, he grabbed a computer and gave me the link to cookbook they use for most of their dishes, which I have been using since I got home and it is amazing (Thank you SO MUCH Carlos!!). The cena here was $7.00 a plate, a little pricier than the $5 meals you can get some places but much, much better than any of them (except for perhaps the Volcano Restaurant).

Remember, the set dishes you get with almuerzo and cena are not gourmet meals. They are simple and complete, and most of the locals we met eat them whenever they aren't eating at home. Few people but tourists eat from the regular and prohibitively expensive menus that you will find at any of the restaurants on any of the islands. I'm sure the regular dishes are also wonderful, we just couldn't afford them. If you are traveling on a budget but want great food in Isabela, you need to try El Faro.

• Visited September 2013
Gulfport, Florida
“Limited drink and dessert selections, reasonably good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

The most annoying part of this restaurant visit was the lack of choice in soft drinks. At lunch: no coca cola, no diet coke. Only Sprite and a couple of other options I didn't recognize. Service at lunch was interesting. The waiter had to drive off on his bicycle a couple of times during our lunch to collect items needed for our order. When I tried to order dessert, he was no where to be found. I stopped by the kitchen to try to order, and they found someone from a shop to take my order, but it was confused. The waiter finally got back; unfortunately, the two items I hoped for as a dessert were not available. The ice cream I decided on was quite good, but a little pricey comparatively. Our meals were certainly acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

• Visited July 2013