“Absolutely beautiful hotel with extremely helpful staff”
Review of Hotel Albemarle

Hotel Albemarle
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Puerto Villamil
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have no idea why this hotel is listed so low on tripadvisor - our stay from beginning to end was fantastic. I have read that they have undergone a change of management recently and maybe the older reviews are referring to this period of time.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly by a very helpful lady at reception who spoke very good English. She not only helped with our bags and explained everything, she also helped us with all tours and every need we had throughout our 3 night stay. All staff in fact were very sweet and helpful, even those who didn't speak any English.

The hotel itself has amazing views of the beach (as it is right on the beach!) and has large spacious rooms with big balconies and excellent air-conditioning. The location couldn't be better, it is on the beach and a 2 minute walk from all the restaurants and cafes - but no fear of noise disturbing your sleep, everything here closes by 9pm!

Isabella is a sleepy little town with few inhabitants and tourists - if you bump into people once you will see them over and over as there really are only 4 or 5 places to choose from to et at. We loved this little beach town feeling and made new friends. Our whole stay was fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future; in fact this would be the only place I would consider staying!

- The only reason for 4 stars and not 5 is that the breakfasts were not that great and there was some tidying needed to be done outside. Only small things though e.g. each room had new air-conditioning units and the boxes were still stacked outside. Apart from these niggles the place was perfect :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I loved being a guest at The Albemarle Hotel! Jessica, the hotel manager was so helpful. From booking us taxis to tours and arranging any and every detail we needed, she did it. The hotel is also a superb location, right on the beach. Our room was spotless and the comforters were cozy. Air conditioning in the Galapagos heat is a must and The Albemarle has it. The breakfast was nice. It wasn't very fancy, but it was delicious with fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, eggs and toast.

I highly recommend the Albemarle!

Room Tip: We had the only room with a glass door, The Albemarle. It was on the second floor. We loved having t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I island hopped in the Galapagos and did not go on a cruise. I stayed at Hotel Albermarle for 3 nights and I was very pleased. When I initially booked my hotel, Max offered to book our speed boat ticket from Santa Cruz, too. He booked them for us and emailed us a copy of the tickets and did not charge us for doing so. That saved us a ton of hassle in Santa Cruz.

When we got to the hotel, I was a little tired and cranky from the speed boat and I asked Simon (at the front desk) to assist in setting up tours for the next day. He was delightful and did all of the heavy lifting for us- including taking our payment to the tour guides for us so we could relax and enjoy dinner (the tour guides want to be paid in advance). Since I don't speak Spanish very well, I was thrilled for the help. He also set up tours for us the following day. The staff gets five stars.

As for the hotel itself, we had a picture-perfect view of the ocean. The room was standard for the Galapagos- not very fancy, but I wasn't going for a five-star resort. We didn't spend much time in the hotel itself. Our showers always had warm water. The breakfast was not great, but it is the same as any other breakfast I had in the Galapagos (bread, cheese, fruit juice and mediocre coffee). The only complaints I have is that we couldn't get the safe or tv to work. In fairness to the hotel, we never told them so they never had a chance to correct it and based on how helpful they were in every other aspect, I have no doubt they would have fixed both problems had we told them. We weren't overly bothered by it or we would have asked for it to be fixed. Our AC worked fine.

Some reviewers mentioned a lot of noise at night; however, we barely heard the club at the pier. It was minimal and did not cause us any problems.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, just remember that it's the Galapagos and not a Sandals resort.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms view cannot be beat. It's gorgeous.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Had read the reviews, especially the poor ones. Our tour company set this one up for us so we were wary. The first room the air conditioner didn't work, no tv which wasn't a big deal but, and there were no amenities in the room at all, like they had just put us into a room someone had just left. I complained about the lack of air flow, and she said just leave the door open. Right. Leave it open on the main dirt road in from the of the hotel. I'm sure I'd sleep good that night! Unacceptable so she reluctantly showed me another room where the air worked, tv, and had all the amenities. Another world until I realized it was close to a rather unique run down bar. Fortunately, the bars closed early. Happy ending. Just a rather sad old hotel. But it was close to the beach. Again, poor hot water and shower.

And what's with no shower doors in these hotels so the water sprays everywhere? Wow, that was weird.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the first floor rooms facing the dirt road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
HotelAlbemarle, Owner at Hotel Albemarle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

The Albemarle Hotel is now under new management. The issues you raise have now been resolved. The Albemarle hotel has improved significantly.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Far from being a perfect place to stay, I do think that it's a good option, considering the place and the price. I had a bad experience with the availability of our room, but even so, I think that I would return to this hotel. The room was very nice, big and clean, the little pool was old and dirty and the breakfast was the one you would find in most of the hotels at Galapagos.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The location of the Abermarle is perfect, literally right on the beach. We had 2 ocean front rooms with an adjoining balcony and the views were from a postcard. You can literally step out the front door and be on the beach. Shops, rentals, restaurants are all around the corner. While we aren't very picky travelers, some other aspects of the hotel we found challenging. There was only hot (lukewarm) water the 1st day of our 4 day stay. After my 1st inquiry, the woman at the desk attributed it to a large group that just left. The next day's answer was a water heater that broke and the replacement that came on the boat was the wrong one so it was temporarily replaced with a much smaller one. OK - the island is 600 miles from the mainland and they don't exactly have a water heater factory in the Galapagos so I can accept that. But this smaller one didn't seem to work and when we left, it still wasn't fixed. Well if I couldn't warm up with a hot shower, I thought of a hot beverage. The 24 hour complementary "hot" tea/coffee, was almost as cool as the shower. The same woman at the desk said that there was something wrong with the urn and she didn't know why it wasn't heating. Speaking of the desk, there was rarely someone there, even in the middle of the day. The sheets had an odor to them, towels weren't changed or even re-folded on the rack. Very basic room. The t.v. worked but only 1 fuzzy station. (ok - I'm not in the Galapagos to watch t.v.), in room DVD player displayed "no disc found" for every movie we tried, a spot in the shower on the wall for shampoo/soap but no dispensers. After inquiring, we were given a few individually wrapped mini slices of soap (perhaps glycerine soap since it didn't lather), no shower curtain, no toilet paper holder, no mirror aside from the one over the sink in the bathroom, a 1 foot step up into the bathroom. Absolutely no bugs as other reviewers mentioned. The noise at night and early morning was a bit much. Some naval building is next door with a late night d.j. which drowned out the nice sounds of the ocean crashing against the shore outside the window. A house behind the hotel has a rooster that didn't wait until dawn to start singing. Breakfast was minimal but enough to get you going for the day. The 2 members of the staff that we did meet when the desk was manned were always very apologetic and actually so sweet that it was hard getting annoyed. Joseph had a way of making you smile no matter what the situation.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have an amazing view. Not sure if there are any rooms that are quieter than others...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen1234567890
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I don't understand the poor reviews of this hotel - we had a great stay. It's a wonderful location, right beside the beach. We had a ground floor room, the view is probably better from the upper floor, but the ground floor has doors opening practically onto the beach. There were no ants, no noise (maybe the bar has moved, or isn't open in July?) and the breakfast was very nice. The staff were very helpful, arranging breakfast when we arrived on an early flight, and co-ordinating with tour guides, making recommendations etc. The Wifi was good, though the signal was clearer in the public areas than our room, and it went down one day (no problem, the Galapagos is isolated!). The bathrooms look great, very modern, but I'm not a huge fan of the "wet room" layout because you tend to get just that after a shower - a very wet room. The water is hot and the shower pressure good. The pool is small, mostly for kids, but who needs it with a beach outside? My only criticism was that we couldn't tell how to contact someone in case of emergency when the reception was unmanned late at night (though we may have missed directions on check-in). Overall very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Beachside, beautiful view and sounds.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#20 of 25 in Santa Cruz
La Casa de Marita
La Casa de Marita
#2 of 6 in Puerto Villamil

Been to Hotel Albemarle? Share your experiences!