My husband and I stayed here for two nights (would have been 3 if a room with a view had been available) and I would recommend a room with a view. We had a private balcony with a wonderful view of the beach. As someone else mentioned - very nice at sunset.
However, we had a tour of the other rooms on the property to see if we wanted to stay an extra night and we declined because for the money it didn't seem worth it to change rooms, stay in the annex across the way in a much smaller room, no view, barely any windows. It was also not as clean as we would have liked but you can't beat the location. It sits right on the beach - a walkable distance to the docks and Concha y Perla - a fabulous place to swim with sea turtles.
The decor is very eclectic from the bright paint colors to the choice in artwork. While we were very comfortable in our suite, it did seem that the furniture and artwork had not been updated in years.
One night we had dinner at our friends' hotel down the beach - Iguana Crossing - which was very nice and was a place we looked at on Trip Advisor as well. The two hotels are on opposite sides of the town and could be said to be opposite in other ways, too. While Iguana Crossing was a very nice hotel and by the looks of it much more luxurious and upscale, it didn't have the same personality and whimsy of La Casa de Marita. Further, what makes me give this place 4 stars instead of 3 was the excellent customer service. We were treated with tremendous warmth and sincerity from the staff and that made all the difference.
We ate in the restaurant a few times and while the food was tasty it wasn't as good as either our dinner at Iguana Crossing or some of the meals we had previously on Santa Cruz. The breakfast was far superior than your average breakfast buffet, though, and our friends tell us that the breakfast at Iguana Crossing was not good at all. However, I really didn't see that many other options for places to eat. It seemed that most places in town had the same menu and same prices for the most part. However, we did enjoy our last lunch at the funky shwarma place very close to the hotel.
Overall we were happy to have stayed at this hotel but know what to expect. It's more fanciful than fancy but that worked for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marita’s house is a first class hotel in which you can enjoy the natural charms of Isabela Island, because it is located on the white sands of Puerto Villamil, offering an incomparable view of the colorful beaches of Galapagos Islands. Marita’s house combines harmonically the standards of the best quality hotels with a cozy familiar, hospitality to offer a pleasant and comfortable stay. Quality and warmth characterizes the services of lodging, restaurant and recreation that Marita’s house offers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your La Casa de Marita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Casa De Marita Hotel Puerto Villamil
- La Casa De Marita Galapagos Islands/Isabela - Puerto Villamil