Surfing Turtle Beach Lodge
US$23
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Travelocity
All reviewsbaby turtleshorseback ridingbeach barseafood pastaprivate beachping pongevery afternoonlonely planetan adventuredorm bedsboat rideremote locationother travelersamazing locationstayed longerplace is beautifulyoga classes
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Turtle for 3 days and really enjoyed it. You have the beach all to yourself and the volleyball tournament each afternoon is good fun and gets everyone together.

We were lucky enough to be there when over 200 baby turtles hatched. We helped release them the next day, was an awesome experience.

It's a very chilled out place, Marcos and the staff create a great atmosphere, I could have easily stayed a month.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the dorm, try to book the upstairs one as the downstairs dorm doesn't have screens.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I am currently living in Leon, Nicaragua, and have frequented the Surfing Turtle twice. Both times have been amazing. The staff is always very helpful and if you get the chance you should sit down and talk to Pedro about his story with the Lodge. We didn't actually get to see any turtles either time because it wasn't hatching season but we did get to see them burying the eggs which was cool to watch. They have volleyball tournaments every day and if your team wins, you get free drinks! The water is rough out there, but that's to be expected if you've ever been to Las Penitas. Just stick to what you're comfortable with! The dorms were nice, had lockers for you to put your stuff in. The only downfall is that this is the only place to get food and they do discourage you from bringing any of your own food or drinks. Therefore, it can get kind of pricey but overall, it's really good food, from what I've experienced. Also, service can be slower when everyone is ordering at the same time...just FYI. But they did have 2 for 1 Nica Libres both times I was there! Oh...and my sandals were stolen, so make sure if you're not wearing them upstairs, to at least just put your shoes away!

Also, bring bug spray! Sometimes at night, it can get pretty buggy. The WiFi was a plus as well! Great place all around!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My friends and I spent 3 days there in July 2013 and it was an absolute pleasure!
Some of the highlights were waking up to the beautiful view, the chilled atmosphere, having the beach to ourselves and of course the free breakfast!
Marcos, the manager was a fantastic host, he organised activities during the day which were optional to take part in such as volleyball tournaments and then bomb fires at night. Whilst we were there, it happened to be our friends birthday, Marcos organised a delicious cake to be specially delivered from the mainland so we could surprise her! This really made our stay memorable!
Highly recommended; such a relaxing place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

You have to take a boat from the Poneloya bus stop, then trek 15 minutes along the beach or through a buggy forest to even get here.
The beach is full of trash and dangerous. The undertow is very strong, and there are rip currents every 100 feet or so. I saw 2 surfers dragged out to sea. Luckily, they were rescued.
A few hours after I ate, I was sick all night. I had a barfing buddy and we hung out all night in the bathrooms. Several other travellers I spoke to told me that they weren't "well" after dinner either.
The bunk beds are higher than usual, gave me some impressive bruises. Very noisy, loud music all night from the bar, not very clean. American staff will try to sleep with you, maybe that's a plus?

Room Tip: Stay in Poneloya or Leon.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank KillerRabbit
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This place is more like a beach resort than a hostal! You can get privat cabins, but also a beautiful dorm with seaview. Fall asleep with the sound of the waves, get a free breakfast in the morning, go surfing, relaxx in one of the hammacks to Bob Marley music, even go for a little Yoga session on the upper deck, take part in the volleyball competitions with a free drink for the winning team, enjoy a beachwalk for ages, without meeting anybody, watch the sunset and then a beautiful starsky! If you´re lucky you can maybe see a turtle in the night! I always had an awesome time here, especially because of the nice people coming here and the friendly staff. If you like, you can get crazy parties in the night as well, or just play cards. The only thing is, that it´s not too easy to get there. You can take the public bus from leon to poneloya and then a boat. but if you call them they´re gonna pick you up with a horse, so you don´t have to walk with a lot of luggage!;-)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo