I used to stay here a lot (and by the fact of the location, eat here). I recently returned for my first stay in about two years.
The welcome received is friendly enough (as a traditional pub it shuts for the afternoon and opens at 6pm - not an issue but worth noting). The rooms are quaint and reasonably comfortable. The bathrooms are OK (but this is a listed building with limited scope for modification) and as a result most of the ensuites have a saniflow type machine which can be quite loud and can sometimes be heard from other peoples rooms. Not a complaint given the age of the building but something to bare in mind for the light sleeper. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge and is surprisingly good for a rural pub. TVs are tiny and are miles from the bed - could easily be replaced with something more adequate.
The food at the Helyar used to be a talking point. The pub does not hide the fact that it once received a lot of awards for its food (plates all over the wall declaring such and so on). Unfortunately the quality of food has really gone down hill and the prices increased massively. It is cheaper (and far, far better) to eat at Lanes in West Coker (I'd stay there preferably too if possible). My meal was OK at very best and I can only assume their old chef has left for pastures new - I had never seen sliced circles of carrot in a Thai curry previously!! Club sandwich was drowned in mayo as well.
Breakfast on the other hand was a nice experience, good choice offered and cooked to order.
Overall, it is a shame that a once great pub has become satisfied with being merely mediocre and the quiet bar when I stayed seems to demonstrate that I am not alone in my opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An historic 15th century inn at the heart of an idyllic conservation village only three miles from Yeovil. Award-winning food, real ales and over 40 wines by the glass. Large garden, car park and traditional skittle alley. We also provide dining onsite for up to 85 guests in the pub and restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Helyar Arms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Helyar Arms Hotel East Coker
- Helyar Arms Yeovil
- Helyar Arms Hotel Yeovil
- The Helyar Arms East Coker, Somerset