“OK. Just OK. Average at best.”
Review of The Helyar Arms

The Helyar Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Coker
Camberley, United Kingdom
“OK. Just OK. Average at best.”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I used to stay here a lot (and by the fact of the location, eat here). I recently returned for my first stay in about two years.

The welcome received is friendly enough (as a traditional pub it shuts for the afternoon and opens at 6pm - not an issue but worth noting). The rooms are quaint and reasonably comfortable. The bathrooms are OK (but this is a listed building with limited scope for modification) and as a result most of the ensuites have a saniflow type machine which can be quite loud and can sometimes be heard from other peoples rooms. Not a complaint given the age of the building but something to bare in mind for the light sleeper. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge and is surprisingly good for a rural pub. TVs are tiny and are miles from the bed - could easily be replaced with something more adequate.

The food at the Helyar used to be a talking point. The pub does not hide the fact that it once received a lot of awards for its food (plates all over the wall declaring such and so on). Unfortunately the quality of food has really gone down hill and the prices increased massively. It is cheaper (and far, far better) to eat at Lanes in West Coker (I'd stay there preferably too if possible). My meal was OK at very best and I can only assume their old chef has left for pastures new - I had never seen sliced circles of carrot in a Thai curry previously!! Club sandwich was drowned in mayo as well.

Breakfast on the other hand was a nice experience, good choice offered and cooked to order.

Overall, it is a shame that a once great pub has become satisfied with being merely mediocre and the quiet bar when I stayed seems to demonstrate that I am not alone in my opinion.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Before staying at this B&B I read the reviews was alittle hesitant but I'm very glad I stayed at this little traditional inn .. The room was nice and comfy. Not modern but I think it nice that way ... Great little village nice walks and very close to a few nationals rust places .. The food at the heylar arms well was AMAZING ....... Can't stress that enough. From traditional pub grub to something alittle different nice service great beer.. Breakfast was superb more than adequate.. I would stay here again for a one night stay or more as I was only testing with a group on fab fab fab. The only small critic I have is .... Such s lovely location maybe check in should be 12.00 -15.00 so people can view the surrounding areas . We did get to check in earlier might I add but was told this doesn't happen all the time

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Jayjai82
Doncaster
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Helyar for one night only. The room was clean but the bed was extremely uncomfortable ( think it was a double bed as well, which seems small when the majority of hotels and bed and breakfast are king size) The pillows were very soft and disappeared almost when you placed your head on them.
The sheets were clean, but the duvet ( if it could be classed as a duvet) it was solid and quite thick and weighed extremely heavy. I had a terrible nights sleep because of all these things put together.
The pub itself could be lovely. It is quite run down inside. Artex on the walls and nicotine stained ceilings, also part of the walls were painted with undercoat so the darker colour showed through.
The food at the pub was quite nice. I have certainly had much worse.
All in all, I would not rush back. The location is lovely, the food was very nice, but I have stayed in much better places for less money. It cost £85 per night. I think it is worth £65 at the very most.
There were 2 members of staff working. They served behind the bar, served the food and showed us to our room, so generally they did everything.
It's ok........I certainly wouldn't bother to recommend it to my friends....
Helyar you need to lower your price or up your game!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank hobskr
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Beautiful, olde worlde pub in a picture perfect setting of thatched cottages in a pretty village just outside of Yeovil. Four of us went for dinner there the other evening. Unfortunately, the woman who served us had mastered disinterest and offhandedness to perfection. With only 2 other tables occupied we were pointed to a table in a far corner away from the other diners, and she mumbled that if we sat at the table we wanted she would have to go to the trouble of setting it - which turned out to be just bringing some cutlery. We all agreed that the food was delicious, not cheap mind. We will return as the food here is so good. Why? Well, because of the many other places to eat round here that have pleasant welcoming staff, the food is not nearly as good as here. One can´t have everything, can one?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank J W
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Boring,unappealing and lack of any substance! That's just the staff!! I had the salmon followed by the fish and chips. The salmon came from tescos own range! And the fish tasted like it had been battered but not fried! The chips were obviously left over from another meal and cut roughly into a chip shape and heated up! The mushy peas were shredded and obviously over cooked in the microwave! Our dessert arrived after our starters! We told the waiter who took it back to the kitchen, shortly our main courses followed! When did get our dessert after our main course it was obvious they had just put it back in the fridge until we had finished! No issue as we hasn't touched it but at least re-plate it!! Wouldn't return!

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank Krider_85

Travellers are raving about these East Coker hotels

Newtown,Powys
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Having read previous reviews commenting on unfriendliness/bad service ,we were unsure of what to expect of the Helyar.The location of the hotel was superb-a sleepy "chocolate box "village packed with thatched cottages with roses around the doors,pretty stream running alongside the road and country church and manor house.
Upon arrival we were checked in and shown to our room.The room was fine-decent comfy bed,pine furniture providing more than adequate storage,good sized bathroom with shower and toiletries.Hospitality tray was provided with homemade biscuits-a nice touch! Lovely quality bed linen and towels.
On our first morning it appeared that we were the only 2 guests at the hotel.Breakfast was a good selection of yoghurts,cereals, juices,croissants,and a good selection from the hot menu.
The choice was extensive and we certainly didnt leave the table hungry-the portions were very generous.We had undivided attention,and the food was cooked perfectly.The second morning there was a party of 8 and another couple.The food selections were equally as good.We were the first down for breakfast and again the service was faultless-dont know if that changed when it got busier later on.
The dinner menu looked very impressive and when we saw other guests meals arriving they looked very tempting.However,we decided to eat at other restaurants during our 2 day stay as we considered the prices on the menu were somewhat excessive.
We booked this break with a KGB deal and felt it was very good value-not sure if I would be prepared to pay the full price but we certainly had no complaints about our short break,and would stay again.Good breakfast,nice room.friendly staff,and wonderful location...........try it for yourselves and I am sure you would not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Newtown_PowysMrsC
Exeter
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The Helyar Arms deserves better reviews as far as we were all concerned.

East Coker is a beautiful and charming, quiet corner of England and the Helyar Arms is a characterful old building. The menu is enticing with many freshly chalked up specials. The tomato and red pepper soup, battered fish and chunky chips and sticky toffee pudding got our vote.

Jeanette the Bar Manager works incredibly hard and we all wish her well with the birth of her baby. Our party of 8 certainly felt very at home and comfortable in the surroundings.

Room Tip: Furzy Knap I think our room was called. At the front. Watch out for the hourly tune on the village c...