“Very popular venue, and lovely food.”

Half Moon Inn & Country Lodge
Half Moon Inn & Country Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Mudford B&B and Inns
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Very popular venue, and lovely food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is a very popular venue, we arrived at 7.30 and there was a queue for tables, having said that as there was only two of us we jumped the queue to sit in the corner of the Inn.

I visit here a couple of times a year, and normally order the same dish, but tonight I decided to have the chicken breast with bacon, cream cheese in a white wine sauce. It was divine. Their main courses are very large so no room for a pudding. And those around us were mainly only going for the one course too. Ended the evening with tea and coffee and a piece of fudge which was a lovely finishing touch. I have also been here at 3.00 in the afternoon and it is great to have the same standard of food throughout the day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Ate here many of times now the last being today went for a late lunch of which it wasn't very busy at 2 45 pm with that was a 35 -40 min wait .. Food lovely that's why we keep going back but every time the staff are the same old grumpy selves no conversation smiles or help! Why are they not taking any notice of all these reviews ! Ps remember to always pay your bill as one as they do not like u paying separetly and at first tried to make us work it out .. Will return only being due to the food great potions and value

• Stayed October 2013
Ramsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

went for a late lunch circa 2pm. They serve food all day and have a good selection. Steak and Ale pie was a large portion, with lovely veg and potatoes. Nice beer on barrel at the back of the bar.
Will return again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Wincanton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Decided to go here for a meal tonight as the menu looked good. The food indeed was fairly good, good portions sizes even though my cream cheese stuffed chicken wasn't really stuffed with anything. However, it did taste fairly amazing. My main problem was the fact that we didn't get smiled at once. The landlord(?) was very hard in the way he approached taking our order. When my boyfriend asked if there was room for two he just ignored us. After sitting down it was a very 'get them in and get them out' feeling, being watched until we were finished. The price of the OJ was incredibly expensive and the tables and chairs seemed to be squashed in. I didn't like the signs that seemed to set out rules for the pub, 'no foul language' (which is fair enough) and 'no misbehaving children, you will be asked to leave'. The food was good, but I won't be back in a rush.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tiffany Louise C
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stopped at the Half Moon on our way back from Cornwall, booked through late-rooms. We arrived at about 1930 and the pub was heaving and looked a little under-staffed - so it took ages to get checked in. We were offered a continental breakfast at £5 but felt this was a tad steep so gave it a miss. We were looking forward to seeing the rooms as we had heard that the place had recently been refurbished (and the pub/restaurant looked good), How disappointed we were. The rooms were drab and ultra dowdy - with the décor looking at least 20 years behind the time. The beds were also poor - rather uncomfortable due to the poor quality of the mattresses. The bathrooms were drab and depressing with shower stalls that were too small for normal human beings - meaning that if you tried to move about you inevitably bumped the shower faucet off or scalded yourself. Not ideal., That said, it was very clean, had tea/coffee facilities and a huge TV. But for £59 a night out in the sticks I'd expect a bit more.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Yeovil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Went to the Half Moon for dinner weds night, haven't been there for a while, used to be my favourite place to eat, but was a bit disappointed last night, we arrived at 7:30 which i know is the busiest time period & managed to get the last remaining table that didn't have sign on saying for 5 or more people, fair enough they don't want 2 people sitting at a large table, but they seem to have added a few more tables since I was last there & I can't help but feel its a shame that you are now packed in like sardines, touching the elbow of someone on a different table as you eat, the poor waitresses have to struggle to squeeze inbetween the tables, i had home made faggots & mash my partner had chilli, there was a half an hour wait which wasn't bad considering how busy it was, our food arrived, the rice on my partners chilli was dry & hard where the plate had been put under the grill to melt the cheese they put on top & my 'home made' faggots & mash tasted so bland, I was quite disappointed tbh, it also came with mushy peas & if I hadn't seen them I wouldn't have noticed they were there because they were tasteless too, i think my partner enjoyed his chilli other than the rice being hard, for what you pay in that pub I just expected better quality, we both agreed the meals were worthy of paying £7-£8 for but not £10-£12, I've had fantastic meals in there in the past & their douphinoise potatoes are amazing but last night I tried something different & thought it was a bit bland / average.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We went for dinner here earlier, lovely decorated pub, had a lovely meal (compliments to chef) but lacking in customer service. The man who took our order was miserable, couldn't be bothered and even got the order wrong as wasn't listening.

The reason why it got a very good rating was due to the food, it would score poor in customer service but its a restaurant, no I'm judging the food.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mudford
The Manor
#1 of 1 in West Coker
Ash House Hotel
Ash House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Martock

Been to Half Moon Inn & Country Lodge? Share your experiences!