“Great food”

The Walnut Tree Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3 West Camel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here after business conference in Yeovil and we were delighted with the food. Small but imaginative menu with excellent wine list. Served by the most delightful attentive staff and the food
was beautifully presented and very tasty. The bill was a surprise as it was so reasonable for what we had, but then I am comparing it with Henley-on-Thames prices!

We stayed overnight in a charming room, however they do need to put towel rails and hooks in the bathroom.

Brian and Sally Passey, Henley-on-Thames

Room Tip: Try noy to stay on ground floor as the rooms are not too well sound insulated and you can hear every...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Walnut Tree Hotel for business and I have really apreciated the quietness and the beauty of the hotel. Extremely relaxing, perfect for a break after work or for for a week end holiday.
The room was really nice, clan and equipped with whatever you may need.
The service was professional and kind.
Whenever I'll be back on this area, I'll take care to stay at Walnut Tree.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have not stayed at the Walnut Tree as I live only 15 miles away, but I can vouch for the warm welcome, quality of surroundings, service and food.
Our meals were freshly prepared using local ingredients -

Very, very good and well worth a visit !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was the only hotel in the area with vacancies with good reviews. We had no time as it was a Bank Holiday to really search for long. I thought the price was high when booking as it is north of Yeovil and there is not much more in the area. It's two minutes off the A303. The village is beautiful. The hotel and pub is lovely. They looked after us very well. The rooms are very nice and well equipped. You get a flask with real milk in it for your tea a great idea more hotels should do that. We had a corner bath with shower, we did see some rooms with four poster beds. A very quiet location. The breakfast was excellent, cooked to order. For a quiet weekend away you will love it. Price is the top end but I am not arguing. Give it a try.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a four poster bed it does not cost any more. The rooms upstairs are quieter as...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Saw a sign on the A303 for food, & as we were looking for somewhere to eat after going to the Haynes Motor Museum ( also worth a visit!) we decided to pop in. We were just expecting a village pub..... What a surprise! Warm welcome, great service from the owners & waitress & great food. We were made to feel so welcome. Sat in a comfortable seating area with a drink while we decided what to eat, and again with coffee after a lovely meal. The presentation of the food was very good, & the taste!!!!!! Would definately go again if we are in that area, & very tempted to spend a night there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miriam_c27
Reviewed 7 August 2013

After being up for 36 hours setting up two trade shows, driving more than 350 miles including one AA assisted break down, I came across an oasis in the dark in West Camel.

I was greeted by one of the owners, who was concerned that I was ok after such a long day and instantly presented me with a large glass of ice cold Pinot Grigio, sat me down on a big fluffy sofa and spent an hour talking to me about my day. Absolute heaven.

Gina ( who by this time I was on a first name basis with ) showed me personally up to my room (13) .

My room was idyllic, a large white wrought iron bed took up most of the room with country style oak furniture, the bed linen was crisp and clean and smelt like it had just come off the line and pressed. The room had a large on suit with bath and shower, it was tiled from floor to ceiling and spotlessly clean, I showered and slumped into to bed and slept like a baby.

The next night after a long day at work I arrived back to find more smiley and polite staff, I sat at the bar and was served lovely gin and tonics in crystal glasses! ( very unheard of in Scarborough )
I chatted to a lovely local man before I had my amazing dinner. Smoked chicken and king prawn starter and then a very succulent steak Rossini with Madeira sauce, I wasn't given a steak knife, but for a very good reason, the steak just melted in my mouth and could be separated by a fork, this was all prepared by the owners.

At this time of year I normally stay at 2-3 hotels a week and I must say that by far The Walnut Tree At West Camel the nicest hotel I have stayed at in five years, the personal service, the food and the decor will make you visit it time and time again.

Thanks to all at The Walnut Tree, see you next time

Lucy x

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LucyBroughton
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Despite the fact that I had indicated we would arrive at 12.30, we were met on arrival with the words - check-in isn't till 2pm. Not helpful, when you have to be at a wedding at 2.30! Very poor lighting in our bedroom, so I could not see to do my hair or make up, very thin walls, (could hear next room's TV) mould in the bathroom, a warped bathroom door so that it couldn't be locked or even shut; a very small double bed with such a hard mattress that I spent a very uncomfortable night, and thin pillows. The decor is ok, but somewhat dated. But a good location, (for our purposes anyway) good car parking, and a nice English breakfast. It's ok for a night, but I wouldn't care to spend any longer there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
White Hart Hotel Martock
Hawk House
Hawk House
#1 of 3 in West Camel

Been to The Walnut Tree Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!