“A time to reflect and thank our brave ancestors”

Souda Bay War Cemetery
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Souda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Suda Bay War Cemetery is located approximately 5 km east from the centre of Chania (Xania). There are now 1,500 Commonwealth servicemen of the Second World War buried or commemorated in the cemetery. 776 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate a number of casualties believed to be buried among them. The cemetery also contains 19 First World War burials brought in from Suda Bay Consular Cemetery, 1 being unidentified. There are also 7 burials of other nationalities and 37 non-war burials.
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It took ages to find as the signposts were not very clear, or forthcoming, but once we found it, it was truly worthwhile. A beautifully maintained garden for brave men from the allied forces with flowers planted by the graves and manicured lawns. We visited on 18th May and the anniversary of the German paratroopers was 21st May so it was more poignant to be there at that time and pay respect to these men that made our lives what they are today.

1  Thank wendywoo359

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We were amazed at how beautiful this resting place was for the young men who died fighting in a country that most of them would never have heard of. The grounds are so well kept and we should be grateful for the way they are maintained by the local people. I then read a previous comment (and she is right, I did not find it at all acceptable) that "this beautiful place, is wasted on the dead laid to rest here". I found this to be so disrespectful to the families who either lost their sons, brothers or fathers in this war who maybe have visited this cemetery or read this review on Trip Advisor. Where did she want them buried, on a piece of waste land or rubbish dump. I am sorry if I am going on but I am so angry at her offensive remarks. All I can say, is Arlington Cemetery hidden away on some scrap of land and not a beautiful place!!!!!!!!

1  Thank norfolkducks
Reviewed 2 May 2014

A place to visit to remember all who died for our freedom! Please respect the silence and think about those who fought for freedom.

2  Thank Koen F
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have visited many cemeteries that are looked after by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission all over Europe and it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly well looked after they all are - no vandalism or a blade of grass out of place. Suda Bay is near Souda, just outside Chania. About 7 miles from the airport. Give yourself a little extra time on the way home and call in to marvel how peaceful the location is and pause for awhile to consider the sacrifice these men made during the second world war. It certainly has an incredible effect on us.

1  Thank Richard T
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was pleased to visit this allied cemetery in such a lovely setting. Well done to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for keeping it in such a lovely condition

1  Thank IrishDragoon