“long weekend in scotland”
Review of Hillhead Farm Lets

Hillhead Farm Lets
Ranked #2 of 2 Bannockburn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 September 2013

we arrived at hillhead farm as planned, we were met by the owner who was very nice, he showed us to our room, the room was very clean and very well presented.
This was our first time we stayed here plus we had our 2 year old granddaughter with us everyone was very pleasent and paid extra attention to Amelia.
I would advise anyone travelling to scotland to stay at hillhead.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tinyWestMidlands

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed for one night in room 2. We found the accommodation to be very comfortable and well equipped. The location is also pretty good - you are in the country but also close to a number of routes and can quickly get to Stirling. There was a heater on in the room when we arrived which we switched off (we prefer a cool bedroom) and the bed was extremely comfortable. There is no catering offered at Hillhead Farm Lets but there is an inn just across the road.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I actually can't comment on the standard of this accommodation as we didn't actually get to stay here!
Having booked my room way back in February, I am fairly certain there was space for us to stay!
However, just 2 days before we were due to stay, and whilst we were already on our travels around Scotland, I received notification from the owner to say that our booking had been cancelled. I contacted him by telephone to be told they had accidently double booked our room and we could no longer stay there. They offered to find us an alternative place to stay. It took until the afternoon of our booking to be advised where we were staying & we arrived there it was dreadful & we chose to find our own place to stay.
The owner's attitude from Hillhead Farm was arrogant and unapologetic. We were incredibly fortunate that we even were able to receive and email notifying us of a problem whilst we were travelling.
In the circumstances, I think we had a lucky escape and the place we chose to stay in the end was a fantastic find! They say things happen for a reason........
Wouldn't recommend anyone tries to book this place though - there doesn't appear to be a first come, first served, fair policy!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Debbie W
Alasdair M, Manager at Hillhead Farm Lets, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

The customer did not stay with us due to a double booking by one of our selling agents. We apologised on behalf of our selling agent in advance and offered and found the customer alternative accommodation in the same area at the same price.

Given that the customer did not stay in our accommodation, we feel that they are using Trip Advisor inappropriately in order to damage the reputation of our business. We will be taking appropriate action in order that the review reflects the fact that this review is seen in the context and spirit of Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having arrived as planned,I was met by the owner who advised me that we have not got a room which was a surprise as we had received confirmation from Late rooms.He did offer alternative accommodation,and could not wait to shut the door saying it was not his issue strange attitude for a person who is in the hospitality business.We went to view the alternative accommodation but no one was available to meet us.I phoned the owner to advise him of this ,and that's. when he became very hostile on the phone I asked him why he was shouting and he advised me that I had called him a liar which at no time did I call him a liar.We had chosen the Hillhead Farm because of the positive feedback in the last few months,but from the owners reaction and his hostility towards us,all we wanted was the room we had booked.We would not recommend this property because of the owners attitude.
He did actually say he sent e-mails but we had never received those so called e-mails.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Certainly not my first or last stay at Hillhead Farm Lets; better value and less noise than the Premier across the road at Pirnhall and I get a warm welcome from Alasdair. I had the benefit of the loft, family room on this visit which gave me plenty of space to spread the paper work out and catch up on the e-mails (free wi fi); eventually learned that there was a sloping roof (ouch!). Very clean and comfortable and no need to pay too much for unwanted breakfasts. Fridge in the room if you wanted to do healthy cereal/milk. Extra bonuses of visiting in July; the chance to stretch my legs in the countryside and not have to dig myself out of the snow drifts (happy memories!)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed here on Saturday 22nd of June with 7 other people. We booked all four of the rooms so I had a chance to look at them all. Firstly I'd like to say that we all found the mattresses to be perfectly comfortable as I had read previous reviews saying this was not the case and also read the owner had replaced some of them.

There are three downstairs rooms and one upstairs, all had flat screen tv's, electric shower and hair dryer provided, the upstairs room has a fridge in it as we'll which was fab. Everything is very modern, clean and spacious. We were lucky enough to a nice spell of weather so we were able to sit out in the garden area, there's a bench as well as a grass area to sit.

The location is perfect, it's only a few minutes from the motorway but set in a nice peaceful area so no noise whatsoever. It's only a short drive, bus ride or taxi into Stirling itself and there's plenty of space to park.

For breakfast the next morning, we went across the road where it was all you can eat for around £8 and there was plenty of choice.

I would definitely recommend staying here and would stay again myself, it was more homely than staying in a hotel and great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My wife and I stopped here for the night on 3rd June on our way through to Skye..

I'll be honest and keep this short and sweet, we had no problem or issue with the location and cleanliness of this accommodation but, if you want a comfortable bed after a long journey, DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS PLACE!
If you don't mind mattress springs prodding into every part of your body, making your night long and restless, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO STOP OVER.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank timford111
Alasdair M, Owner at Hillhead Farm Lets, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

June 18th

Thanks for the review!

We have taken this review on board and others similar to it and have replaced our single mattresses with brand new memory foam ones.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bannockburn
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Hillhead Farm Lets? Share your experiences!