“Never again”

The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilsyth
“Never again”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Arrived at hotel to find some friends, who had booked a room at the beginning of August had tried to book in only to discover their room wasn't booked. My daughter went to book in and the attitude of the receptionist left a lot to be desired, my daughter took her to task for this. while talking to our friends another couple came in and were told there was no room booked for them either, once yes, mistakes can be made, but twice in less than 20 minutes, who are they trying to kid. We had been to a family party and came back to find the doors locked and no doorbell, we knocked another receptionist ignored us even after holding up room key, we finally got in after nearly knocking door down and a barmaid telling us place was closed until I pointed out we were residents. Food good, rooms small.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MinnieLiz51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We were up from Liverpool with four other couples for a 60th birthday party nearby and stayed for two nights.

Rooms were ok - clean enough and just about big enough. Minor gripe was that there's no phone or remote control for the TV. Of more concern was the kettle turned the water brown when filled (rusty element?) and the hot water for the shower ran out if we weren't up quick enough!

Cooked breakfast was substantial but the lack of choice was irritating. It's Full Cooked or nothing. Kippers or even porridge would have been nice.

We got a small discount for the cold water problem but I'm not sure we'd stay again.

Room Tip: Some rooms come with baths, others with a small shower cubicle. State your preference on booking...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Was here twice this month for dinner, once with a party of four and once with a party of two. Both times the food was very nice-no complaints there. However, both times the service was not very good e.g. our table was full of empty glasses at one point so we had to ask a waiter to clear them to give us space to eat but he only cleared a few of them. On the other occasion they forgot my starter and I eventually had to ask for it, leaving me to eat alone. The waitress was however very apologetic and pleasant which made a lovely change from the less than pleasant blonde older woman that serves in there.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I'll keep this short, me and my partner decided to take advantage of the hotels meal deal (2 courses for £8.95 each) I ordered the Haggis and Black pudding fritters for starters and when the first plate arrived the inside of the fritters were frozen , so I sent it back requesting the same dish and to my disgust the exact same thing happened again.....totally un-professional and a lack of attention to detail taken not only for the first attempt but the second also. We both decided at this point to pick at our food not knowing if a qualified chef had even looked at the food never mind cooked it, we were given a 20% discount which fell well short of what we expected... what they also didn't know was that we were actually considering the venue for our wedding.....so thanks for making our mind up.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Kilsyth hotels

Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a glasgows great deal offer.the hotel is lovely and food was nice but never slept a wink all nite as the room was really noisy due to traffic going up and down all day and nite.when I complained was told that they could do nothing about it and thats the reason that it was on the deals.i should have been told prior to booking about the noise as most people go for a rest not to be up all nite.if U go make sure U dont get room 6 or room on front street unless U want to be awake all nite by traffic as it is only single glazed and unbearable to sleep in.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I'd read some of the mixed reports of others' experiences at this hotel so I thought I'd add my own review. I live only a few miles from this hotel but was attracted by the excellent deal on offer - £49 for dinner, bed and breakfast, plus afternoon coffee and scones, for 2 including abottle of house wine. Having done many deals, this was an excellent offer and it turned out to be an excellent night out.

Although the location is not in itself attractive, don't let this put you off. Our room was clean and tidy although I was surprised to be asked for a £10 deposit for the TV remote. Also surprised that drinks or food bought at the bar could not be added to the bill and needed to be paid in cash. This must be due to bad experiences by the hotel. The coffee and scones on arrival were nice and set us up nicely for dinner. Our starters of mussels and pigs cheeks were excellent and are thoroughly recommended. Main courses of steak and venison were also enjoyable, washed down with the bottle of house red. All in all, the service at dinner and the following morning at breakfast was extremely good.

It's fair to say that our bedroom overlooked the main street and was a bit noisy. The toilet was also on a small side but you must take account of the price paid for this deal and it was truly outstanding value for money.

I'll be more than happy to return, if even for the pigs cheeks.

Room Tip: If you are easily disturbed by noise when trying to get to sleep, ask for a room at the back of the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
glasgow
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Just bAck from our second overnight was there last year and definitely as good. Booked the today's great deal for £49 and worth every penny. Yes our room was at front again but given we went to bed at one am did not cause us a problem. Scones on arrival lovely with clotted cream and jam. Food fantastic. Mussels are gorgeous And the venison lovely My partner had breaded mushrooms and rump steak Breakfast was great too and the bottle of wine was a nice bonus. Staff were very friendly. Can't wait for next deal as we will certainly be booking again.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilsyth
Castlecary House Hotel
Kincaid House Hotel
Kincaid House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie
Glazert Country House Hotel

Been to The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!