All reviewsduckhot tubthought of everythingthe ownersky tvcroissantshigh standardunderfloor heatingthe main housemini barhonesty barsouth downscontinental breakfasthamfree wifinothing too much troublelittle gem
Reviewed 22 February 2017

The lodge is at the end of a private garden. It's quiet, clean and has all the facilities plus a good pub five minutes walk away. On the South Downs Way and with a self served continental breakfast, it's great if you want an early start on the next days walk.

Keith, the owner was very friendly and helpful and offered free use of the hot tub, but in late February with dusk approaching I gave it a miss. But in summer, after a hard days walking, a bottle of beer in the hot tub would have been luxury :)

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed 22 February 2017

My fiancé and I needed a night or two in accommodation whilst we walked the South Downs way this week and found this excellent lodge in Pyecombe, a lovely village with a very pretty church and local pub serving great food. On arrival Keith the amiable host greeted us warmly and took us down a pretty paved garden path at the rear of the main house to the wooden lodge house at the foot of the garden.
A warm, cosy, welcoming space greeted us. Keith took the time and trouble to show us all the facilities and talked enthusiastically about Pyecombe and gave us great tips for walks and local pubs.
After setttling in after a long day we took his advice and had a fantastic late afternoon meal at the local pub The Plough just down the hill and returned to relax with a bottle of wine in the amazing hot tub which is more near the house than the lodge but has wonderful views to the Downs.
A very high standard of accommodation, spotless, friendly knowledgeable host, a great breakfast, a fantastic location.
We will be back!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2017

I stayed at Duck Lodge for one night on a mini break/ walking weekend and I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone. The location is perfect for walks on the stunning South Downs and it's also near Brighton and various wonderful little villages with excellent walks, pubs etc. Pyecombe village itself is lovely with a beautiful church and a pub/ restaurant. Duck Lodge is a charming Scandinavian style cabin with a double bed, en-suite (shower and WC) and a sitting area. It is beautifully decorated, warm and cosy. A luxurious accommodation but still feeling relaxed and comfortable. There is television, tea and coffee making facilities and a delicious continental breakfast! Next to the cabin is a shed where you can hang your coats, leave your muddy boots, crampons and walking sticks etc. I stayed in Winter but there is also a beautiful mini court yard style area outside the cabin with table and chairs, perfect for the warmer months. The cabin and shed are secure and well lit.
Keith, the owner greeted me warmly and was friendly, welcoming and relaxed and also extremely helpful with great knowledge of the area. Nothing was too much trouble, he made sure my stay in the beautiful Duck Lodge was enjoyable and very memorable! I honestly didn't want to leave the next day and I will definitely be back!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Sleepingbeauty1
Reviewed 12 February 2017

Great place to walk, in the downs, only 10 mins to Brighton by car ...lovely country pubs and restaurant close by. Owner/s very, very friendly, and helpful. You could take bikes, great cycling routes
Bring swimsuits, there is a Jacuzzi

Room Tip: Cosy Warm Very Clean,
Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Akolli
Reviewed 12 February 2017

We had an overnight stay at Duck Lodge. A wooden lodge in the owners beautifully landscaped back garden. The owner was great, kept in touch as to when we would arrive and when we were leaving, made sure everything was ok and left us in peace. The lodge was to a very high standard with fixtures and fittings but because of the cold weather was a bit chilly even with under floor heating and a radiator. The bathroom was really cold. Also you could hear a lot of traffic noise when you went to bed from the nearby motorway. But the thing that really let it down for us was the allure of the hot tub and views of the South Downs the reason it was originally booked, . Assuming wrongly it would have a private hot tub with these wonderful view left us feeling a bit confused when nothing was offered, the hot tub is situated next to the owners house so not very private and maybe because it was cold not offered for our use.

Room Tip: Only one lodge available
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
keithagough, Owner at Duck Lodge B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Duck Lodge Julie. It's really good to get feedback wether positive or negative as it lets me know what I am doing right and where I can improve. I realise now that the bathroom could do with additional heating when it's below freezing outside so I'm going to put an additional radiator in there to help. Apologies for not directing you to the Hot Tub when you arrived. As it was getting dark the views we have woudnt have been apparent and you said all you wanted to do is "snuggle up in the lodge as you had been out all day in the cold and snow" made me think you simply wanted to get inside from the cold February weather.
The hot tub is very much available to guests of Duck Lodge and as stated on Booking.com and all other web sites were currently featured in "There is a hot tub up on the main patio of the owners property"
I am sorry if your misinterpretation of this detracted from your stay with us
We loved having you at Duck Lodge