“If Keji had chalets...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caledonia
Mersey River Chalets and Nature Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caledonia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“If Keji had chalets...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

If you like Keji but sometimes want to get away from tenting, this place is very close and has a similar environment. Staff are great, rooms are nice, and the wildlife and sunsets are worth the drive.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler_127245

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed in a large chalet with our child and two of our friends. We hadn't been there before but were delighted at what we found. The chalets are in the forest, on the river or on the lake and it feels like yours is the only one around. The bedrooms were spacious; the main room was large enough to have us comfortably sitting at the table and/or on the two sofas. Even the sofa bed was comfortable to sleep on. The kitchen is a little on the small side and could do with another cupboard unit so be prepared to live out of your grocery bags. The fridge however was more than adequate. The appliances worked well and the BBQ was way better than the one we have at home. They even had a properly sharp knife in the drawer and unscratched non stick pans. No problem cooking. We ate inside and outside despite the weather being non cooperative. The bathroom was a surprise as the shower is part of the room and there is a movable unit holding the towels. This is to accommodate wheelchairs. Everything is wheelchair accessible, even the kayaks (and there is a rope ladder to lower yourself into the boat).

The owner Tim (we didn't meet his wife Andrea) was so wonderful that it felt like we were old friends. They work very much on a trust system so people feel like they are a part of the place. Shame their restaurant was closed.

The setting is amazing and so close to Kejimkujik National Park that those who prefer a little luxury or security against weather can opt for this and still spend the day at the park. My only regret is that it's a little out of our price range so we probably won't be going again unless we can split the cost with another family.

Room Tip: If you have four to six people opt for the large chalet. If you have three families or want more roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan H
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I were visiting Nova Scotia for the first time and booked just 2 nights in a log cabin. We were both sorry to leave as it is very peaceful and beautiful and wished we could have stayed longer. We took a canoe out and, in mid-September, were alone on the gloriously sunny lake. We stayed in cabin 5 which is on the river side and woke to the warmth of the sunny morning creating swirling steam coming up from the river. The boardwalks are lovely, and there are lots of places to sit out and just contemplate the views. The staff were very friendly both when I booked and when we stayed.

Room Tip: we stayed in cabin 5 which had a super location
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Weymouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed one week in the Loft of the Log House overlooking Lake Harry. I loved the lake view and the large trees surrounding the area. So peaceful and tranquil, just what I needed! Was my first time at this retreat. I called at the last minute and Cindy was wonderful in finding me the perfect peaceful place to stay. Especially liked the pet-friendly policy. I walked all the trails and rode my bicycle. The trails in the forest need a bit of maintenance. I couldn't find one trail as the trees and bushes had grown over the opening. There are many peaceful stops on the boardwalk along the beautiful Mersey River.

Room Tip: Ask to stay at the Log House. There's a beach and picnic spot in front of it, plus a large grass...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

This was one of many great experiences at Mersey River Chalets and Nature Retreat. I have been going there at least once a year for the last 6 years. This time my best friend and I brought my 2 nieces and we stayed in the large wall tent and had a fabulous time! The river was perfect for swimming. We used the common kitchen area to prepare our meals, made some new friends, it was perfect. It's always clean and the staff is always so helpful and friendly! I will keep going at least once a year! LOVE IT!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I stayed one night in a chalet, and it was very comfortable and clean, great layout with a nice wood stove and grill and deck seating area. The hosts were very friendly and accommodating and I would love to stay there again. The property is about 2km off route 8 and very quiet and spacious. Nice river flows thru it and good space to play or relax. As I was going during the off season (late May) some of the services are not online there yet like the restaurant so plan ahead depending on when your going. If your on a bike, note there is a manageable dirt road leading to the resort area.

Accommodations are pleasant and comfortable but not chic in case your expecting a posh time. You'll be more than comfortable and though there is wireless in some places, be prepared to be offline:)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stayed at the Mersey River Chalets last summer. I must say I have never stayed in such a shabby cottage before. To make it worse it smelled horrible. I guess that people with dogs have been there before us and they haven´t clean up properly afterwards. The floor looked so awful no one would believe this, it should have been renovated years ago, like the whole cottage. I only give 2 points because the restaurant is nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KarenE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caledonia
Annapolis Royal Inn
#1 of 1 in Caledonia
Crown Cove Cottages
Crown Cove Cottages
#1 of 4 in Granville Ferry

Been to Mersey River Chalets and Nature Retreat? Share your experiences!