“Perfect hidden retreat”
other travellers have booked this property
The serenity of Casa Kalana insures a complete reconnection to your SELF.
Mornings spent on this patio are the most peaceful you have ever known. Coffee's brewing... The centerpiece of our home is our 40' undersea mural consisting of handmade 3D sealife sculptures!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The serenity of Casa Kalana insures a complete reconnection to your SELF.
Entrance View to Casa Kalana, private, heavily wooded and door to shore before your coffee gets cold
From door to shore in under 3 minutes, if you don't stop to chat with the monkeys...
Set back in the jungle with lush gardens and lots of daily visits from the monkeys and hummingbirds
Please remember to ALWAYS shower and remove ALL SAND before entering the house or indoor shower.
Again we remind you to always use the outdoor shower to remove SAND, its worse than mud trust us! ;)
Relax in the hammocks in the tropical breeze and see why others call us a 'hidden paradise'. :)
Main living area opens onto the outdoor terrace
The front living area from the outdoor terrace
Playa Negra, for surfers its a dream come true. For spectators, you can't get a better seat.
Dining area with custom Guanacaste table and chairs, please do not lean back in them!!
A beautiful view is in every direction
World class surfing right out your front door & beginner surf lessons at Sandy beach, much safer!
View across the bar into Kitchen
We are 15 minutes from this exact place. We organize this zipline trip for you and your group!
Sunshine Room w/ Queen Bed
We organize horse tours both beach and mountains for you and your group!
Sunshine Room w/ Queen Bed
Papaya Room w/ Queen Bed
We organize local fishing charters who guarantee to put a smile on your face like this lucky lady!
Papaya Room w/ Queen Bed
Shared bathroom with hot water shower.
Casa Kalana - your personal 'hidden paradise'
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

andcarrie...
Nashville, Tennessee
“Perfect hidden retreat”
Reviewed 17 October 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Casa Kalana was the highlight of my trip to Costa Rica. It's far enough away from everything to feel secluded, yet still close enough to town and other attractions as well. The house is lovely and full of character- tucked away in the trees that are crawling with howler monkeys! I discovered that they're curious creatures and will come out if you play them some chill music! There's a short walk to the beach with glittery black sand and tide pools to explore. We were here off and on during the course of the week, but honestly I could have just stayed in a hammock all week on the patio and been completely happy. There's a peaceful, rejuvenating vibe around the house that kinda sucks you in and promotes meditation and relaxation. I definitely plan to go back when I have the chance and highly recommend this hidden gem to anyone looking to just get away.

Your age range 35-49
19 Oct 2017
Mahalo nui loa for the visit and I am so pleased you enjoyed our little piece of paradise! Yes, the monkeys DO love the music and are just as interested in us as we are them. I work hard to keep the energy strong but peaceful. Meditation helps. I look forward to hosting you and your friends again! Pura Vida!
Jonathan...
“Best beach in Costa Rica”
Reviewed 31 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Frank's place is just a few minutes walk to playa Negra. What a beautiful beach. While in Costa Rica, I visited a few other beaches and none of them compared to Playa Negra. I'm almost hesitant to mention it to keep it as a secret to myself. Frank was exceptional as a host, friendly and helpful. He gave me lots of recommendations of places to visit, helped out each day, from giving advice or just checking up to see if everything was okay. His place is cozy, simple and peaceful. I very much enjoyed my stay and I'm looking forward to going back soon.

Your age range 35-49
1 Aug 2017
Aloha Jonathan! Mahalo nui loa for the kind words! I wish I could take credit for the beach here, but it IS one of the principal reasons that I invested here. :-) I strive to provide our guests with an authentic taste of what it is like to LIVE in Costa Rica while surrounding them in the comforts they are accustomed to. I am happy that you enjoyed Casa Kalana and Playa Negra and to have shared some time with you. I truly look forward to your return! Cheers, FK
mgbkleber
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great Place”
Reviewed 29 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

It was a great experience of having this place. I strongly recommend this placa to stay and owner of the place is very careful to the guests.

30 Jul 2017
Aloha Kleber! Mahalo nui loa for your visit and it was a great pleasure to host your group! I am happy to see you all relaxing and enjoying the nature and fabulous surf! You came at a good time with the swell really picking up! I look forward to hosting you and your friends again soon! Pura Vida! FK
Jonathan...
“Casa Kalana”
Reviewed 18 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017

This is the SPOT! Absolutely loved the time I spent here, left me begging for more! Casa Kalana is nice, private, and right near the beach; right where you want to be! Frank was a really awesome host and gave us a lot of suggestions on things to do, and places to go check out! I'll be back soon Frank much Mahalo!

Your age range 25-34
30 Jul 2017
Aloha Jonathan and Matthew!! Thanks for choosing us and returning for a second visit! That makes us really happy when guests are repeat visitors. Our place truly is a hidden paradise! We look forward to hosting you and your friends again! Pura Vida! FK
louc54935
Eugene, Oregon
“The ultimate vacation; a true paradise Casa Kalana.”
Reviewed 15 February 2017 for a stay in January 2017

Having never been to the Playa Negra area, I wasn't sure what to expect before my girlfriend and I arrived to Casa Kalana. What we were greeted with and what we experienced in that magical area was far beyond what we expected and absolutely blew our minds away with love, beauty, relaxation and the open arms of a community who truly love and care for each other. What a special place! Seriously.

My girlfriend and I flew into San Jose airport around 130pm (mistake; fly into Liberia) and we rented a 4-wheel drive car which was very helpful. The roads in Playa Negra are all dirt/gravel with potholes intermittently placed so an SUV/Truck is needed especially in the rainy months. Having a 4 hour drive from San Jose to Playa Negra, we didn't get to Casa Kalana until dark but we were still met by Frank with excitement, enthusiasm and a great sense of calmness and love. We love Frank and I would consider Frank a friend now. Frank showed us around and took us to the beach which is a two minute walk from the house down a beautiful road lined with palm trees. After our mini tour of the house and the beach, Frank left and went to his place 10 minutes from the Casa. We went to bed shortly after that and woke up at 5am to the sounds of birds, monkeys and other jungle animals starting their day. We walked down to the beach and went body surfing then came back to the Casa for fresh papaya and cereal. You get the picture, it's amazing! lol

There are lots of things to do around the Casa. Surfboard rentals, zip lining, hiking, relaxing, yoga, stand up paddle boards, etc... We did most things but truly wanted to just relax and enjoy the beauty of nature and the calmness of Casa Kalana. We did just that with music, food, beers, etc...

I would give this place a 10/10 on the rating scale. The hospitality, location, safeness of Playa Negra and many more reasons are all top notch and no matter your age, interests, whether you have kids or not doesn't matter; you WILL HAVE AN AMAZING TIME HERE.

Enjoy and much love to Frank my hermano!

Your age range 25-34
30 Jul 2017
Wow Tony and Amy! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the kind review and lovely sentiments! It truly is inspiring to have guests arrive as strangers and leave as friends! Anytime you and your friends want to visit us, you can be assured that they will receive the same treatment as you did! Our place is always being upgraded, so guests can expect more than we offered before! Mahalo nui loa! and Pura Vida! FK
ysellons
Mission Viejo, California
“Great remote location/close to the Beach”
Reviewed 2 December 2016 for a stay in November 2016
people found this review helpful

The Pro's - The house was on a remote piece of paradise with a short walk to the beach. We loved the grounds. Shaded and peaceful. We adopt some local dogs during our stay, which we absolutely loved. They hung out with us while we lazed the days away on the hammocks outside on the patio, where we caught a glimpse or two of the monkeys and watched the geckos on the wall. This is a good place for a family or couple that likes nature and the critters that come with it.

Frank was the best host. He warned us ahead of time of the hurricane and offered to meet us if we needed assistance getting to the property.

Rent a 4x4 - It is a dirt road to the house, probably the last 2 or 3 miles. Major potholes and "cracks" (not sure what else to call them. We loved the road - part of the adventure, but we were prepared.

The Con's - I really hate writing anything that can be interpreted as negative, but I also depend on feedback to decide where I stay. So... It was advertised as a Luxury Villa, yet when we walked in, Frank told us it was a Surfer place that we could find things wrong (as he explained to kick the fridge at the bottom to make sure it closed. The beds, linens, sinks, floors & toilet were clean, but walls, baseboards, windows were far from it. It seems there is some deferred maintenance. There is no air conditioning and no screens on the sliding glass doors, so you just cannot keep the bugs out.

There is hot water only in the shower. To wash dishes, we boiled water. There's not hot water for laundry.

No toiletries were supplied. He provided toilet paper, paper towels, hand soap, dish soap and laundry detergent.

He has WiFi, but no TV. Not a big deal, as long as you know.

The walk to the beach isn't that long, but it's on an unpaved road and the last bit is through weeds. I came home with about 50 bites all over me, mostly around my ankles. Even with the natural bug spray, I still got bit (I think it was in this field). So be prepared and wear good water shoes.

Frank warned us repeatedly about security. We had no issues whatsoever, except after his repeated warnings, I didn't feel safe. Locking the sliding glass doors was a challenge as they didn't align and he wanted them double locked with a key that was quite frustrating.

We had a really good time. But when I vacation, I search for a place that is nicer than my house. After all, I'm getting away and want it to be a nice adventure. This property had the potential, but needs some work. I really felt it was overpriced for the condition of the property. It may be a better value for those using both bedrooms.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The quiet location.
Liked least: The condition of the property
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
16 Dec 2016
Aloha Yvonne! Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to enjoy our private paradise! We here at Casa Kalana define luxury as time spent in tranquility - a place where you can reconnect with your ‘self’ and nature. It is our desire to provide this positive experience for all of our guests.

A list of amenities is provided for all incoming guests, and we will make sure that in the future everyone has a clear idea of that which is provided, and that which is not. It is our desire that everyone enjoy our piece of paradise, with the understanding that they will be in the jungle. As such, insects and other fauna are part of the experience.

Security is something that we take very seriously. We have never had any negative incidents with our guests due to our emphasis on that topic. It was not our intention to create in our guests a sense of worry. Costa Rica is a "third world country" and as such it is very important that our guests are aware of the petty theft issues that exist here as a result of wealth disparity. That is our entire approach and our external doors are designed to be difficult to open for that very reason.

Please know that we are grateful for your constructive suggestions, and will incorporate them as we are able. It is our hope that you come again and give us another try. Tesoro and her friends thank you for the food donation and wonder where you went! Cheers, FK
Justin B
“Perfect getaway”
Reviewed 14 November 2016 for a stay in September 2016

Traveled to Costa Rica for my honeymoon and couldn't have found a better place to stay. Location was perfect, easy walk to the beach while still having space to relax and enjoy nature. Easy drive to surrounding beaches and restaurants. Frank was an awesome host who made sure we had everything we needed. Would definitely love to come back and highly recommend staying here to anyone.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
7 Dec 2016
Aloha Justin!!! Thank you for your kind review and it makes me really happy to know that you and your wife had such a good time! It's comforting to know that people really enjoy our location and home, and that you shared such a special time in your life here. Love always leaves behind good energy! Always keeping the door open for you!! Cheers, FK
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing