“Good motel, not far from the beach”
Review of Beaches Motel

Beaches Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Waihi Beach
Beaches Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waihi Beach
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed for one night in a two bedroomed apartment. Clean, tidy and looks like it has been recently refurbished. the only downside was that our shower did not work well. It was difficult to get the water temperature right and we only got a few small sprays of water that went in all different directions. Back on the plus side we have a small child and she loved the swing and trampoline. Owner seemed friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiddly

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Even though we only had a short stay, we absolutely loved it, and will definitley be back next summer, this time for longer. Great friendly, helpful Hosts, lovely clean, tidy and comfortable units. and nice and quiet. a perfect place to stay especially with a young family. we have a 2 1/2 yr old and she loved it, was safe and nice and close to the beach. Great! Can't wait to stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bdrm unit, lovely and spacious and with the blockout curtains, is great for young k...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bailey B
Reviewed 13 January 2013

What you expect from a small town motel. Room was clean and beds comfy. A great location across from the beach. I stayed in peak season and the room was expensive for what it was. Out of season I'm sure it's much cheaper. Free wifi and washing facilities was a bonus

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I booked for 4 nights recently, after having stayed before. Pleasantly surprised to find it refurbished with all new bedding and furniture and curtains. Lots of pillows and bed coverings. Big fridge/freezer. New large TVs in both the main bedroom (I had 2 bedrooms) and the spacious lounge. Complimentary Herald each day. I was so comfortable that I stayed an extra night and will certainly return.

OK the shower was unusual, but I found by turning the pressure up, it was fine.

I highly recommended it to my family who like to holiday at Waihi Beach, as being a big improvement on a rented bach. Very close to the beach and cafes and shops. Obliging owners who leave you in peace, but are very helpful if you need to ask anything.

I stay in quite a lot of hotels and motels in the Waikato and Bay of Plenty, this is the best space and comfort and value of them all in the last few years.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen424
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Very average. Rooms were pleasantly clean, but decor pretty dated. Shower was absolutely terrible as mentioned in a previous review.
Our room was NOT SERVICED ONCE in the 6 nights we were there for though. Steve would come round daily and offer fresh towels...no mention ever of a change of linen or a vacuum. I found this to be very disappointing as what's the point in paying $200+ a night..?
Due to the weather (and the fact that the room was so damp and starting to get quite filthy after nearly 6 days stuck inside) we left a day early. As we expected, we were charged for this (that's not a problem) however, we have since found out that he REHIRED out our room!! Lucky for him, we hadn't turned back around and changed our mind, otherwise what a predicament that would have been! Ha, the cheek of him!
Overall, a very average experience. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We were given a voucher for one night at this property by our family (they won it in a prize draw) so we used it at the end of our one week trip around the North Island.

On phoning the motel to redeem the voucher we were given the room reluctantly, Steve advising he knew nothing about it but come anyway. This should have rung warning bells!

The rooms were clean admittedly however the price on the voucher advised the value of this room for the night was $250! I CERTAINLY would not pay this price for this accommodation. To me this was false representation to the estabilishment that provided the voucher as a prize (especially after seeing what the normal price is on this website).

We checked out of the motel as we would any other leaving it tidy but beds unmade and dishes stacked neatly on the bench (after all isn't this the idea of staying in a hotel/motel that you can leave these things otherwise you might as well be at home?). I advised the owner that we had broken a glass also and gave him an opportunity to charge us if he needed to. I left our address and phone number for him to contact us if he needed to.

That afternoon he called my mother who had recently rung the motel to speak with us so he must have got her number from his call list rather than calling us direct on the number we provided. Aparently we had left the motel in a shocking state.

I called him back and enquired as to why the motel was in a 'shocking' state and it was because we had not done the dishes! Aparently there are signs up saying wash the dishes which we did not see. If we had, we certainly would have done them (although I find it very strange that any hotel/motel would expect this to be done). The sign would have been better placed near the taps so that you cannot miss it. Additional to this they should advised at check in. Steve dropped a highchair off to us as he was out when we arrived and could have mentioned this to us then. However I so find it very strange that any hotel/motel would expect this to be done. Steve talked over me the whole conversation as I was explaining this and was very aggresive then hung up on me!

I have been in the tourism industry for 20 years and am appalled at his behaviour.

Surely the idea of giving out this kind of voucher is to market your establishment and give people a great experience that they will discuss with others. He has just wasted a great opportunity.

This totally spoilt an otherwise lovely holiday and also left our parents feeling terrible that they had gifted it to us.

Additional to his abusive behaviour the room was:

* Very dated. Net curtains were yellowed and dirty, lampshades threadbare and bases rusting.
* Shower was shocking and only had a few jets which worked so it took ages to wash.
* Furniture in the bedrooms were badly chipped and in need of repair. Certainly not worth the $250 stated on the voucher or even $160 which is stated on this website.

All in all a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Holidaytime015
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Clean and tidy. Looks like some rooms have been redecorated recently. All good, close to the township and just across the road from the beach.
What seriously let this place down, was the shower. It was the worst I have ever experienced in all of NZ, Australia, Bali, California Samoa and Europe! The volume of water from the 10+ pinhole jets that radiated out in a circle, was pathetic and it took for ever to rince the soap off our bodies.
Pity, as the place is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Waihi
No photo provided
Tohora View Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 8 in Waihi Beach

Been to Beaches Motel? Share your experiences!