“Short break away 17th and 18th March”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Frogmill Inn

and 1 more site!
The Frogmill Inn
“Short break away 17th and 18th March”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We took a short (2 night) break away at the hotel with friends having just returned.The first night included dinner, bed and breakfast plus an afternoon tea for £129 as an offer plus we also booked a second night B&B with dinner as an extra. We found the hotel to be lovely, a real old Cotswold building and the room was really nice up on the second floor.Good parking facilities.

The food was excellent on both ecvenings and the breakfasts very good too although some fresh fruit and natural yoghurt would have topped it off nicely. The aftrernoon tea was very nice and plentyful.

We had one minor comment on the room which was that there was no bath mat which would have felt safer as the shower is an over-bath one with screen and getting in and out was a bit precarious.

We found all the staff very helpful and friendly and the bar catered for all of our needs with a nice hand-pump bitter on which seemed well-kept !

Overall a good value, high quality hotel which we would definitely visit again if in the area as it is very well situated for touring the Cotswold area.

Room Tip: We had roon 19 but its up on the top floor so you need to be faitly fit ! It does overlook the front...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Snorkelled

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Right, I've got your attention.

Now, looking through some of the previous reviews of this establishment, you may be forgiven about being a little concerned about having booked a stay at The Frogmill.

Whilst I was there over the past couple of days I witnessed some dreadful and rude behaviour - but only from a couple of guests who seemed to want the world, but only at someone else's expense.

So let's get realistic, and put the record straight.

I stay at loads and loads and loads of hotels, both through work and for leisure, I also enjoy eating out at (far too many) restaurants. And I really, really enjoyed my stay at The Frogmill.

It's quite lovely from the outside, and the reception/booking-in experience was efficient, friendly and done with a lovely smile!

We were given room 17, a romantic and quirky little suite situated high up in the eaves of the building. It was spotlessly clean, wonderfully comfortable, and quite extraordinary value even if you pay the full rate.

The public places clean and comfortable, and the small bar is an excellent one, with good, well kept beer, excellent lunchtime sandwiches, realistic prices and an excellent barman.

We, like almost everyone else who was staying over, were doing so courtesy of an exceptionally good deal run by one of the voucher company's. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life that if you offer some people a special deal, they want to milk it for every last drop that they can get out of it, sometimes going to extreme lengths in their unrealistic expectations. They want their slice of the cake, your slice of the cake, and a little bit of a cake that hasn't even been made yet.

We ate in the restaurant on our first night; We had a two course deal, but the waitress suggested that as the portions were so generous, that we may wish to share a starter and a dessert, thus enjoying three courses. Well, she was spot on, and it was a great tip. An excellent mackerel pate was followed by the worlds largest pork chop for me, and a fabulous fish pie for the boss. We had a tremendous cheeseboard to finish, and washed it down with a bottle of bubbly. It was comfort food at it's best. It was fresh, light, tasty and filling. It was EVERYTHING that MPW stands for - he's never been one for poncey, style over substance grub; - if that's what you are after, then you have sadly misinterpreted what this place is all about.

And breakfast was even better. I had a very, very good full English. It took a few minutes, but for heavens sake - it's breakfast time - you are meant to just chill out and relax! Some of the guests seemed to be getting a little frantic when their freshly cooked food wasn't served up to them within a few minutes. For the love of all things holy, if you want fast food go to a MacDonalds, and if you want a self serve buffet with over heated eggs and inedible bacon, go and stay at a Hilton.

But the jewel in the crown for this place is the staff. Everyone of them was a gem. Yes, they were overworked; Yes, they were overstretched; Yes, they sometimes had to apologise to the unrealistic guests that kept on saying, 'Me! Me! Me! all the time.

The only problem I experienced at this smashing place was the bill when I came to check out - the bounders had under-charged me massively! They had accidentally forgotten that I had drunk a bottle of champagne with my dinner; It was far to much for me to just pretend that I hadn't had it, so I pointed out the error, and it was soon put right.

We had a lovely stay at The Frogmill, and I even inadvertently took a memento home with me, - the room key! Sorry for that - it's in the post!

If you are going to this hotel, don't get too worried by some of the comments you may see on here, - just slow down a little, enjoy being looked after by the very friendly staff, and have a lovely time. We did.

4 Thank essex1920
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We booked a deal at the Frogmill for last weekend. The hotel is in a great location for the Cotswolds just of the A40.
Our room was ok abit tatty in places like water strains near window and bathroom.

We went down for our afternoon tea waiter said find a table, we did. He bought us coffee even though my husband asked for tea so i enjoyed my coffee my husband sat with no drink. eventually we nabbed the waiter and asked for tea.
One young man serving all tables running round like a lunatic not a relaxing setting for afternoon tea. Eventually tea arrived not on a proper stand but a plate sandwiches ok, cake small and poor quality, scone lovely and warm.
Still no offer of presecco so eventually had to ask for it as part of the deal.
Dinner ok small porion for beetroot salad, I didn't think anyone could cut beetroot so finely. Sourdough bread with cheese starter again very thin slices of bread. Main course pasta but warm not hot.
Waitress thought it ok to address guests as "you guys" PLEASE someone train these lovely young people they have immense potential.

After dinner we sat in the lobby area, a couple came and finished their wine near us and had coffee-the remanants of this were still on the table when we came down for breakfast at 9am.

Breakfast ok service slow, cheapest bread used for toast and only bought to table if you requested it then no butter so had to ask again.

This place could be great BUT needs to offer better quality and service--not Marco pierre White quality so Mr WHITE short this place out or ditch it.
Better hotels available on deal websites at present don't be mislaed by MPW name.
sorry to be negative but we hoped for an enjoyable weekend got poor quality food and no service.

2 Thank sangita e
Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have just stayed at the Frogmill Hotel for 2 nights with friends for the Cheltenham Gold Cup. The hotel is certainly quirky but we found all the staff very friendly. They are all very young and seem to have to multi-task without a great deal of direction. The receptionist Lorna was very good but also had to serve us with drinks from the bar. The food was very good but the service at times was slow, especially in the evening when we were sat in the corner table of the conservatory. We stayed in the stable block and had an enormous family room for the 2 of us. Our friends stayed in the main hotel and were also pleased. We had a welcome pack in the room to take to the races with water, crisps etc. - a nice touch. We thought overall good value for money and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
tina k, General Manager at The Frogmill Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay withus.
I look forward to seeing you again next year if not before.
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at The Frogmill. Our room was located in the stable block away from the main building and was excellent, very spacious, very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. We had no shower in the room but a large bath that was very welcome after a day at the races on your feet all day. Food was very good and the service at both breakfast and dinner was excellent. My only recommendation would be Wi Fi in the rooms and not just the main bar/ function area. I did note this on my feedback form and Tina (manager) has already responded explaining they plan to fit WiFi in all rooms in the future. Value for money is excellent for Cheltenham Festival week as all other Hotels inflate their prices to an unreasonable level.Over all we had no complaints and only praise for all the staff who were friendly and very efficient. This location is ideal for a base to discover the Cotswolds or attend Cheltenham races. A bus service (801 bus ) run from outside the hotel into Cheltenham town.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both the main hotel and the stable block my preference is for the stable block room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
it is always nice to have such positive feedback and know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I look forward to seeing you in November.
Somerset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

On arrival venue looks FAB. Firstly thought booking for 2 people but there were 8. Sat in a conservatory that was very hot as nice day but no shade or ventilation. Tablecloth not clean and tea and coffee pots made up ahead of food so had to ask later on for more drinks which they provided. However Waited 30 minutes then for someone to bring the cream tea. I was expecting perhaps a 3 tiered cake stand per table as I could see other cake stands about, but no the whole tea served on a commercial tray. Finger Sandwiches- cucumber, tuna, ham & mustard and cheese fell apart on tray next to very small pieces of what resembled a poor carrot cake. We were supposed to have fruit cake as well as poor carrot cake. Scones (1 per person) freshly baked were excellent but cream not enough for 8 and what we thought was apricot jam spread on our scones was indeed marmalade. Come on marmalade! We were provided with a few strawberry jam pots but not enough maybe that explains the marmalade. Chap serving us polite but running the show and in fact brought out the iron and proceeded to iron the restaurants tablecloths - impressive but not the right time or place. Would definitely not recommend for an afternoon English cream tea.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gilly R
thank you for your review and i apologise that our afternoon tea did not meet your expectations,
we do feel that £19.00 for two with a glass of prosecco is very good value,
I have spoken to the manager on duty and please accept our apologies as he made the same mistake as you and thought he had picked up the apricot jam when in fact it was marmalade.
It is our policy to iron cloths on the table which is why this was done when he was changing the cloth for the next person.
I am glad you liked the venue and i hope to see you all again.

Travellers are raving about these Shipton Oliffe hotels

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Im afraid to say that this beautiful venue caused me nothing but dread and fear of my wedding day!! After the catalogue of errors!! Which was made by the wedding co-ordinator Tina, it all came to a head the week before which of course it was too late to cancel the day we had been looking forward to for 2 years!
She happily rang my guests after double booking them explaining it was the bride who came in and cancelled the rooms, even though she had a email from myself dating back to june all room numbers & names of who will be staying in them. What she didn't seem to care about was the fact that family members with small children would not have had a room for the night, which would have caused choas on the wedding day.
Still no apology!
If we hadnt had pointed out her mistake, would she have ever of checked?,, I very much doubt it!!!
This was the final straw for us!, absolutely shocking!!
Future brides I aruge you not to book this venue! Youll regret it, certainly if she is still there!
After official complaints after the wedding,, weve still had no response!!! Obviously the money was paid thats all they care about!!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank MrsBartlett051013
tina k, General Manager at The Frogmill Inn, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
I am very confused and upset to read your review, especially when this was in October and we are now in March.
As you know we hold rooms for you and for your guests for your wedding day. When you came for your final meeting you realised that your immediate family had not booked rooms only your partners family, you insisted on your own family having rooms and i offered to help you by finding another hotel for your other guests to go to , thus allowing your family to stay at the venue. We provided the extra cost of the rooms and the taxis to and fro.
You worked with me to do this and we resolved your problem together , and at the time you were satisifed with what we had managed to arrange. .
I fail to see what more we could have possibly have done for you - i always advise that you book your immediate family in first as rooms go very quickly as soon as you announce your wedding day.
I think your personal attack at me is out of order considering the efforts i went to to resolve your issue at the time , and not having any contact with you since your special day.

If you do wish to speak to me or come in and see me then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipton Oliffe
#1 of 1 in Cleeve Hill
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Frogmill Inn? Share your experiences!