See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We had the misfortune of ending up here during a busy time (test match). We had a family room in a poor decorative state. Lack of charm is one thing, poor condition of room and fittings is another. Many things were broken or just did not work (the television for example).

We paid £250 for one night with breakfast. Even allowing for the busy time of year, I thought this was grossly excessive for what we got. I would not care to return.

One saving grace was the very pleasant person on the door, who also prepared and served breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank tractorinsmog
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We came to West Bridgford for a wedding and originaly we had a reservation at the Swans Hotel that was about 50 meters up the road. But unfortunately they had an issue with our room and had to cancel our reservation and told us that the Grantham was available up the road. The first thing that we did was look at Trip Advisor to see what was said and this scared us a bit but we decided we needed to be near to the other wedding guests who where staying at the Swans and thought what the hell it is only for one night.

Our first impression from the exterior was it looked like a bit of a shabby B&B, Our next impression from the reception was it was in dire need of a refurbishment the area smelt of stale cigarette smoke even though the signs all said that this was a none smoking hotel. The receptionist was from Romania and she was very hospitable and professional and gave us a better feel for the place. Also the hotel had some quirky architectural features because it was two houses knocked through to make one hotel. Our room was clean but in major need of modernizing. The room was small and the bed was far to soft but we had a very nice bay window that looked out onto the main road.

On the whole I found the bed to soft so did not sleep to well but the room was clean staff where good, and so was the shower and it was in a good location for the wedding.

We did not try the breakfast because we got a complementary one from the Swans for messing us around.

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel is near the centre of Nottingham and convenient. The rooms were old fashioned but clean and the reception was friendly.

The beds were comfy and we were lucky as it was quiet the day we stayed.

The breakfast was very poor, cereal and white toast and nothing else on offer but overall for a functional place to just pass through for a night you could do worse.

Date of stay: August 2013
Reviewed 1 June 2013

A group of good pals decided to visit Nottingham to surprise a friend for his birthday, little did we know the surprise would be the horrific scenes that greeted us upon our arrival at the grantham. A filthy hovel perfectly fit for one thing only 'demolition'....

Upon entry we were poorly greeted by the receptionist who had the interpersonal skills of a cardboard cut out.
Our room was small, dirty, inadequate and the bed was stained with a blood like substance, obviously from some previous occupier, thankfully I am vaccinated against hepatitis B!
Also a small naked man was seen roaming the corridors clearly intoxicated at only 5.15 in the afternoon.

I hope this short and brief narrative informs any potential customers to stay perfectly clear of this "Hotel", or at your own peril.
The hotel has become a local legend and subsequently the butt of all jokes when staying away...
I would advise any potential occupants of the Grantham hotel that you would be better off sleeping rough under a bridge!

Date of stay: October 2012
8  Thank Matt-dax
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It would not be unfair to say that the Grantham Hotel is essentially a shabby, pile-em-high, B&B that has never really moved on from the early 80s (not least in its decor). Also, it is in a relatively inconvenient part of town (unless you need to be close to the football or cricket grounds). Otherwise, it's clean enough, and the staff are courteous, but the pricing is totally out of line. In that respect, it is horrible value for money.

I guess these places exist, and still manage to rope in custom with good reviews (although I seriously doubt that these are genuine). But the worst thing about our stay was what happened in the middle of the night. The walls and ceilings are paper-thin in this place, so you can hear pretty much everything going on in the adjoining rooms (and bathrooms =/). So, when a group of young guys, clearly drunk or on drugs or both, returned to their room (directly below us) at 3am and started crashing about, shouting and swearing profusely, you can imagine how pleased I was, especially with 2 small children. After an hour of this (and the staff doing nothing) I decided to knock on their door and politely ask them to be a little quieter. I was met with threats and abuse, and thought I was going to be attacked. Fortunately I was not, and they did eventually go quiet. However, some more of their friends (who it sounds as if had just been released from the police cells), came back at 5am and the crashing, shouting, and obscene language started all over again.

I like to think this is a one-off, and is not indicative of the type of customer that The Grantham generally attracts. But, I found it interesting that the staff refused to do anything about it, leaving me to ask these foul-mouthed yobs to show a little respect (and almost getting a beating for my trouble). We were offered nothing more than a 'sorry about that' as we checked out the next morning. It made me wonder how often this must happen.

Anyway, I don't intend to find out if this a typical night at The Grantham, and we certainly won't be staying there again.

Room tip: For the best room, try another hotel.
Date of stay: April 2013