“A GUESTHOUSE; not a hotel”
Review of Grantham Hotel

Grantham Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in West Bridgford
Reviewed 13 August 2014

To begin my review I would like to make clear to any potential visitors to the Grantham Hotel that it is certainly not a hotel. Think of it more as a guesthouse that was built in the early twentieth century, decorated in the early nineteen-seventies and has had very little else done to it since.

This may sound really terrible but it is not all bad. You really need to ask yourself what you want from your hotel stay. Personally, I was away on business for one night. I required parking and the cheapest hotel stay possible; the Grantham met both of those needs. I would not bring my girlfriend here.

During my stay I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, offering me sage information on Nottingham and how best to find my way around (I did not realise it was a city quite so large). After checking out in the morning, the staff were happy for me to leave my vehicle parked on-site for the duration of that day whilst I conducted my business, before collecting it late afternoon (as Nottingham is an expensive place to park, this proved very convenient).

I would not however, recommend the Grantham to anybody staying for more than a night and when I say a night; I mean a NIGHT, do not spend the evening in your room as the rooms are very small and as I previously mentioned, in need of SERIOUS refurbishment!

So there you have it really, if all you want is a cheap bed (breakfast is not even worth a look) with free parking, in very close proximity to the City Ground, Meadow Lane and Trent Bridge (and reasonably close proximity to Nottingham city centre) then the Grantham may well be worth a visit. If you want modern, clean room, a hearty breakfast or a romantic getaway with the missus, begin by looking at an Ibis budget and move upwards through the price range from there.

Room Tip: Another reviewer pointed out that his/her room overlooked the road which led to high levels of traff...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank truevie

Reviewed 11 August 2014

DO NOT BOOK INTO THIS HOTEL - IT IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE TO THE INDUSTRY. IT ADVERTISES 5* SERVICE AT 2* PRICES. YOU GET 1* SERVICE AT 2* PRICES.

Two single rooms booked (16 and 18) - both so small you couldn't walk around comfortably. There was nowhere to put suitcases and bags as it was so small - they had to go on the bed when we were awake and beside the bed when we needed to sleep (and climb over them if we needed the bathroom in the night). The decor is jaded and of a very poor standard. Cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired - they either need a new vacuum cleaner or a new housekeeper.

The rooms were up two flights of very steep stairs and we were not offered assistance with suitcases. I had a 70 year old friend with me (recovering from a major stroke) who couldn't get up the stairs easily and was fearful when coming down as the bannisters don't go the full length. My dog was accepted, but we were told off by the proprietor for allowing the dog to go down stairs without the friend holding onto his lead - but he would have been pulled head first if he had held onto the dog because of the lack of bannisters and steepness of stairs. It was like being told off by a headmistress! but worse was to come!

My friend was told off for smoking in his room - he hasn't smoked for 6 years and I haven't smoked for 2 years. He was told that the cleaner had gone through his bin and had found an empty cigarette packet. Yes! I had emptied an evening bag I hadn't used for years before I went to a wedding and simply put an old, empty cigarette packet in the bin. Again, my friend was lambasted by the proprietor and, as he has impaired speech, he could not defend himself. He was so shaken by being accosted and wrongly accused, he would not even attend breakfast on our 2nd day and we were packing the car at 7am on the Sunday.

My laptop has a bigger screen than the TV in Room 16. Room 18 has an analogue TV with a freeview box which doesn't work.

En-suite facilities were a ''joke'! Washbasins are in the bedroom and in room 18 I had to step around the toilet to get in/out the shower. How that set-up has passed current regulations I will never know.

Staff are noticeable by their absence. Nobody was on-hand to help with queries about wi-fi, breakfast time and the Sky TV in the lounge. Every Sky channel we tried to watch in the lounge said 'you must upgrade your package'. The residents' bar wasn't open and I suspect it is never open. It is totally devoid of drinks and glasses.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy - it is on a busy main junction up the road from the cricket ground - and restau...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne T
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed in a double room. Very substandard. Bed consisted of a low base with two mattresses on. One on top of the other. No bedside cabinet, no chair and the only mirror in bathroom. Only the bed to sit on.Only way to watch the tv was to lay on the bed as tv was mounted high up on wall. Room small..Extractor fan did not work in shower room.Room not very clean. Front facing room so a lot of road noise. Would not stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue O
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel clean and tidy but a tad tired deor..wouldnt recomend more than a night... Superb location for footie and cricket and like us served a purpose
Went down to brekkie to be met by cereal and toast no full english as they said to us
No bar ... No eve resteraunt no brekkie..as was promised ...really let it down
Also the thin walls as you can hear everyone coming back
All in all it was ok....ish

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived on a Friday evening, was met at reception by a very friendly lady who showed me to my room. The room was a little dated but very clean was un-suite had Tv and Tea and Coffee facilities. The room was very warm and cosy. The bus stop is just across from the Hotel and only cost £1.80 from the city centre. I stayed for two nights and booked at short notice for only £70. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 2100 as a group if 5 women on a hen night. The host helped us park n quickly explained the door info and wifi as well as breakfast as we were laughing saying we needed to get a taxi out. She also helped us with that. We had a triple room which was plenty big enough a lovely and clean bathroom and tea and coffee. Nice and warm too. Breakfast was basic but very nice and they make a great brew in a mug too!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stopped there 12/10/13. Paid £124 for a 4 person room, I believe this to be daylight robbery as the room stunk as if someone had chain smoked in there, tv didn't work, shower head was duct taped on so couldn't move it and the rooms were freezing! Wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy! Absolutely appalling!

• Stayed: October 2013
Ibis Nottingham Centre
Ibis Nottingham Centre
#19 of 41 in Nottingham
Lace Market Hotel Nottingham by Compass Hospitality

Been to Grantham Hotel? Share your experiences!