“Definitely Average”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Visited Saturday night 31st May, welcoming staff and a good atmosphere. Menu looked promising too. That's as good as it got. Soft shell crab tasted not of crab but batter. The lemon sole was just a mush of bone and skin. The suckling pig looked and tasted good. Sweets were OK. Overall a pretty average experience. Won't rush back.

1  Thank Alistair R

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I joined 3 friends for a relaxed Saturday lunch. Admittly it was a match day but even so the restaurant was empty. I ordered a vegetarian tart....bad mistake. The pastry was rock hard and the topping was tasteless! This combined with slightly harried service asking us if we were ready to pay the bill yet made tge whole experience really disappointing. Think I will give the larwood a miss in the future.

1  Thank CAROLE77_11
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've been a massive fan of The Larwood and Voce for years and champion the Food especially their Stunning Sunday Farye.

Recently we tried the Breakfast prior to attending the Melton Mowbray Cheese Market.

The Breakfast offering is a varied one with everything catered for. We ordered accordingly, ensuring we grasped the experience whole heartedly.

We were not disappointed. The Smoked Fish was devine as was the Traditional Breakfast with the Black Pudding perfectly cooked (a pet hate of mine is overcooked black pudding a lot of venues get this wrong), and finally a simple Bacon sandwich but on stunning doorstep soft bread.

My only issue is with the service. A manager and a Server on the Breakfast shift and yet you are told you must sit in the Bar Area, presumably because they can't be bothered to relay tables prior to lunch service. No service provided other than bringing the food out, we were made to order both drinks and food at the Bar in a Whetherspoons type fashion.

When you pay those prices for both Food and Drink there is no excuse for letting down the guest experience.

Exceed our expectations and look after your guests! Is the food good enough to warrant a return? Yes, however don't expect an experience just very good grub.

2  Thank Adam H
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Larwood provides an award winning (Guardian/Observer Sunday Lunch Runner up - East Midlands) offering in West Bridgford.

Starters are good and varied with a battered scallop dish being popular with my party when I visited.

The roast itself is sizeable with very well cooked meat (beef in my case) and top accompaniments, I wouldn't hesitate in visiting again for a Sunday Lunch

Read my review of the top Sunday lunches in Nottingham at Frusher on Food - http://wp.me/p3kGtN-5y

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having booked for 14 of us to visit for sunday lunch we were looking forward to dining at the Larwood and Voce due to its previous good reviews.
However, to start off with the beer I ordered was "off" and looked like the pipes hadn't been cleaned for a long time... having asked for it to be exchanged for another one I was told by the bar person "No.one else has complained!"
The seating area was packed with noisy misbehaved,smelly children with no manners and very hot and stuffy and the waiting staff had misplaced the window keys so couldn't open any of the windows... this was the beginning to one of the worst dining experiences I have had for a very long time.
The starter was pleasant enough although a number of our party got the wrong starters or worse no starter at all then onto the main event I had opted for a roast beef dinner and the meat was actually raw ( not rare - simply raw and yes I do know that beef should be served rare )... and the vegetables were limp and boiled to nothing and roast potatoes were burnt on the outside and uncooked in the middle (quite a feat)...
Having asked the waiter to exchange our food we were told that the chef always cooked the food that way!!!! Eeek..... but begrudgingly a number of our meals were swapped but lo and behold the 2nd offerings were as bad as the first.
As I was hungry I ate approximately a quarter of my meal but it actually made me feel physically sick so not wanting to cause a fuss I left the rest of it.
And I didn't risk a dessert.... 7 of our party had similar shocking food.
When it came to paying the bill we were offered a £5 discount off our entire bill ( of 14 people )...... and the Manageress/ Young lady in charge had the most serious "attitude problem" aswell.
Needless to say I will NEVER visit this establishment again and anyone considering doing so would be advised to take a sick bag.
Simply gross.
And I am not just picking on this particular pub.... see my other reviews for more positive posts.

7  Thank dodger4698