“A sad review after two very different experiences.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Parlour

The Parlour
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“A sad review after two very different experiences.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I have visited the parlour twice since opening- the first time my boyfriend and I went was very soon after it opened. We both work in the cocktail and catering industry and live locally so had to check it out. We loved the decor and the atmosphere was great. It made us really want to open our own place! We had two cocktails to start and decided to have something to eat. We went for a sandwich, the fish cakes and the squid. The food didn't take long and was super tasty! The portions were huge and seemed great value for money. We were definitely going to visit again. Last week, which I guess must be around a month since opening, I went again as a treat with my boyfriends mother who also lives close by. We shared a bottle of wine on the patio outside and the evening started very pleasantly. The waitress seemed rather off to begin with, telling us that if we wanted to eat inside we would have to move in right away as tables were running out. We thought this rather rude as we were ordering food and she could have reserved us a table. I had loved the squid the first time we had been so I recommended that we started with the squid to accompany the wine. When it arrived I could not have been more shocked- the plate was close to a third of the size since the first time we went. 10 pieces of cold, chewy squid sat on a limp, soggy bed of leaves and a 'tomato jam' which tasted as if straight from a tin of chopped tomatoes. There was absolutely no sign of any 'candied bacon dressing'. I was embarrassed. We are never ones to complain but there was NO comparison to our previous plates of delicious squid. We told the waitress who very coldy said she would take it off the bill with no hint of apology or personality. We then moved inside for our main course- where there were at least 10 empty tables to choose from! So much for having to move inside sooner. We had both ordered omelette and salad for our main course. The omelettes arrived with one lettuce leaf, three slices of tomato and some roughly chopped onion. Hardly a side salad. The omelette was tasteless and egg raw on the inside. The waitress did not return to ask how our meal was. It's a real shame after the perfect experience we had on the first evening. I just worry that a one off place like this just will not last if they don't keep their game up and they have a lot of competition in West Bridgeford. Sadly I will not be visiting again, definitely not for food, and due to the lack of personality in the robotic and frankly rude front of house, not for drinks either. I hope the team sort out the service and chef sooner rather than later!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jessica W
browns-newark, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Indeed we have sorted out the rude member of staff and the chef. Thanks for the feedback and the food and service standards will soon be back the quality of your first visit.

“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visited here with wife and was presently surprised, very quirky decor , great drinks , mega food and competent staff. Will definitely visit again soon. Make your own mind up and take a trip there you won't be disappointed

browns-newark, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thanks for calling by and pleased that you enjoyed your time with us
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“bar of character”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visited the Parlour for a quiet drink and found a little gem. In what can be a generic crowded market this bar had what seems to be missing in new places. Character. The staff were friendly but un-intrusive. The beer was served how it should be and the cocktails (which I will try on my next visit) looked amazing. Will definitely visit again with friends and family

• Visited May 2014
browns-newark, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Cocktails are our thing - glad you enjoyed them
Nottingham
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“In love with this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I'm in love with this gem of a place. From the moment we visited the parlour we were so impressed with the interior firstly so quirky , imaginative and stands head and shoulders above anything we have seen in notts. now let me get to my favourite bit .. The cocktails. We are young professionals who after work want to go to a bar with a great atmosphere and a nice crowd. We went for the popcorn cocktail firstly served in a mock popcorn box. It was gorgeous. The fairground prize needs to be tried even if you don't like gin like myself it was delicious. Served in a plastic bag with a orange peel goldfish. They are stylish but with substance behind so a great combo.
We have visited many times now and has become our Friday local. The cheese platter we couldn't fault. Complete with a great choice and a fondue all served beautifully.
A great addition for west bridgeford and proud to say your on our door step.

browns-newark, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
We like the place too! Thanks for the review
Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quirky, lovely, special little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Upon first impression I was very impressed with the decor and the personal feeling you get in this place. The cocktails are lush and very reasonably priced. The staff are cute and welcoming and the service was very good. I would definately recommend The Parlour for any occasion and can't wait to go back soon and sample some more delicious drinks and food...

• Visited May 2014