“Paradise!!”

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Reviewed 11 November 2009

From we were greeted at the airport until we were left back at the departure gate we have never experienced service like this. The staff were fantastic, nothing was a problem and the facilities were second to none!
We were in a deluxe lagoon villa with private plunge pool.... fantastic! The room was spacious, tastefully decorated and totally private. Bath robes, slippers, kinoma type robe, flip flops, Molten Brown toiletries, even a handbag were supplied. Towels in abundance too! Mini bar was available at extra cost and was well stocked with champagne, wine, beers, spirits, chocolates and nibbles. The butler service was excellent and our butler Hussian could not have done enough for us.
The island itself was spotless infact it was swept every morning from one end to the other!! The water was crystal clear and the snorkelling was first class. Facilities on the island were excellent. The dining world class. I dont think I have ever seen such a variety of food available and if what you wanted was not there you asked! Internet was available free at the well stocked library and was also availble in your villa at a charge. All in all this really was the holiday of a lifetime and there was absolutely nothing we could have faulted. I could go on talking about this experience for ever but would be afraid of boring your readers!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
TERSMLE, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2009

We were delighted to have you with us and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

While it is always beneficial to learn from our guests where improvement is required, it is infinitely more pleasant to read the very complimentary comments you wrote. We very much appreciated your kind words. We are genuinely interested in your impressions and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience for all our guests. We were pleased to find your stay was pleasant and comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives

Regards
Director of Sales

Reviewed 25 October 2009

If you are looking for relaxing, unwinding, searching for a getaway this is the perfect resort for you. Located just about 10 min from the Mala airport this is a beautiful property of the Taj group.
I spent countless hours on the internet looking through numerous resorts in Maldives was looking for a resort for a perfect honeymoon. This was a small property (around 64 villas approx in total) which was a big plus for me, I didn’t want to go to a resort where I had to fight for a share of my beach or share a view with my neighbour, The villas are very well spaced, I spent my stay in the Beach Villa, which me and my wife fell in love with immediately. There is enough privacy, the resort was at 100% occupancy when we stayed there and it didn’t feel like it.
The Island itself is very well maintained, you can always see the staff hard at work making the island look beautiful and it shows, you can walk bare foot from one end to the other and not have a single scratch on your leg.
The Beach Vila that we stayed in was very well appointed, it had all the equipment and amenities you expect from a luxury resort, From a large plasma television to a Bose music system and an well equipped personal bar (which by the way is charged), Enough plugs to charge you gadgets, a safe, a very decent closet. Wireless internet is available at an extra cost or you can walk in to the Library for free wired internet access. The beach villa also has a small swimming pool, while some might find it redundant, we welcomed it and after spending some time in the ocean, we would always get in to the pool to just laze around and enjoy the view.
We went with a bed & breakfast plan, but the good thing about this resort is the breakfast is sumptuous and they serve breakfast till 11, if you don’t like something on the menu, no problem ask for something you want and you can have it made, you hardly get a response as a no or not possible on this island. We always had a heavy breakfast and skipped lunch. Just to give you an idea as to cost of meal on the island, breakfast for one person costs around $17 (approx). Dinner costs around $ 50 for 2, this is without any drinks, you can add about $15 per glass for an decent wine, what you also need to consider is that every bill has a 10% service charge. In villa dining is also available and the price is usually $5 more than the restaurant menu. One minor thing that bothered me is that they charge for water in the restaurant, even for the regular water, they charge about $5 for a litre of regular water or if you prefer a different brand of still or sparkling water then you can order it as well.
You can keep this price in mind which will help you decide if you want to go with a meal plan, I did not choose a meal plan and it worked out cheaper for me, also I carried along some snacks with me which really helped. Also the meal plan may not cover alcohol, so be sure and double check if you are indeed going with a meal plan, it does not cover in villa dining as well.
The one this I really liked is the butler service, you will be assigned a butler who will help you from check in to check out, they will be your single point of contact for everything you might need during the stay, for arranging private dinners to giving tips on which part of the island is best to snorkel and what trips are worth taking.
The dive centre has got some great people and they would definitely make your water sports worthwhile, I am not a great swimmer and never snorkelled in my life, however I enjoyed my snorkelling trip to the max, our guide made sure of it.
We also took the submarine dive (this is done by an external agency, Taj only facilitates the trip) were not so impressed with submarine dive, in our opinion not worth the money spent for it ($155 per person) rather what we heard is if you are comfortable go to the diving classes and then go for diving, you would have lot more fun.
One more interesting trip was the Sunset cruise, we could not see the sun set because of the clouds but it was made up by seeing scores of dolphins jumping around our boat, which was our luck because you can’t see them every day.
We stayed for 4N5D and got what we wanted, the weather was great and did not rain for the days we stayed; overall a fantastic experience and Taj can expect us back!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest:

While it is always beneficial to learn from our guests where improvement is required, it is infinitely more pleasant to read the very complimentary comments you wrote. We very much appreciated your kind words. We are genuinely interested in your impressions and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience for all our guests. We were pleased to find your overall stay was pleasant and comfortable.

We do hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back to our resort soon!!

Regards
Dir of Sales

Reviewed 24 October 2009

Mostly when I scour these reviews, what I'm looking for is the negatives as differentiators. So let me give it to you straight up. There is no reef on the island itself.

This is compensated for to a large extent by the gorgeous, large lagoon that surrounds the island, and then wholly compensated for by the fact that in every other way imaginable, the resort is perfect. The location, rooms, food, spa, service. I could go on and on about all these aspects, but will just say that if you're trying to decide on a really 5 star resort, that won't disappoint, this is a sure bet. You'll pay a lot, but you already know that :-) At least here, you end up feeling that it was worth it!

Having been lucky enough to travel to the Maldives a few times, I have visited several properties. I'd visit other resorts again, depending on the rate, time of year, and what I was going for - but Taj Exotica is the only resort that I came away from not wishing something had been different, or better in some way. A small but powerful example of the difference between Taj and some of the other 5 stars - when you go to the pool, someone comes by immediately with ice cold water and towels. 30 minutes later, they come by with chilled fruit. I can't say how many times I have been to 5 star resorts which leave you sweating for 10 mins or longer before someone comes by to bring towels, see if you want anything or to help put up an umbrella.

Every restroom, even the outdoor restrooms near public areas, has luxury products - highe end liquid soap and lotion. Would it have changed my experience if one of the bathrooms near the pool had standard issue soap? Not really, but in a luxury resort, it's all in the details. And those small charming touches add up to a really spectacular time. Taj Exotica reminds me of the time I went to a particular Michelin restaurant and, while I do remember the meal was spectacular, what really surprised me and what I will always remember is that they had tied silk ribbon around their spare toilet rolls in the bathroom. I didn't know before how toilet paper could possibly look special, but this restaurant showed me how. The Taj Exotica likewise ties the metaphorical ribbon around the toilet roll!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twoworlds

Dear Guest:

It is always beneficial to learn from our guests where improvement is required, it is however infinitely more pleasant and satifying to read the very complimentary comments you wrote.

Your eye for details and your appreciation for the services that we provide to make your stay more comforfortable are very heartening.

We look forward to you having you stay with us again soon at the resort and assure you of the very best in services, facilities & hospitality in the true Taj tradition, which the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives is committed to delivering to all our guests.

Warm Regards
Dir of Sales

Reviewed 14 September 2009

I'll start by saying that although I have been using Tripadvisor for many years now, I'm ashamed to say that this is my first review. I'm finally finding the time to get around and repay everyone for all the helpful input I have read over the years.

My wife and I finally tied the knot in April 09, and since we love to travel so much, we decided to take two honeymoons. Our first trip was for two weeks, directly after the wedding, first week being spent in Dubai and Muscat (Oman), the second week spent in the Maldives (second honeymoon was a 2-month trip around the world later in the summer, but that's a whole other review). We spent 8 days in the Maldives, and spit these days between the Taj Exotica and the Island Hideaway.

I spent months researching many hotels and resorts throughout the Maldives, reading countless reviews, taking notes, speaking to agents, etc., as I'm sure many do. Ultimately I think I made the best decision. I'll focus on Taj, and leave the my comments about Island Hideaway for another review.

This resort was absolutely AMAZING!!! Likely one of the best and most memorable stays I have ever had in my life (and this includes our trip around the world). The service we received was like none other we have ever experienced. The assistant (or "butler") assigned to us was Hanoo, and he went out of his way to make sure that our every need was addressed.

We stayed two nights in the deluxe lagoon villa with plunge pool, and second two nights in a deluxe beach villa with plunge pool, and we loved both options. Our Lagoon villa did not face Male, so I cannot comment on the previous complaints I have read about this. We were not bothered by the sound of an occasional plane flying overhead as others have also commented on. As a matter of fact, the only reason I noticed them is because I remembered reading about them in other reviews.

Both villas were amazing, although the beach villa was pricier than the lagoon villa. It was great to experience both types of settings however, and we plan on doing the same if we return. The only problem I had with the beach villa is that although very private, occasionally someone will walk across your strip of beach (which could feel intrusive at times). Both still very private however.

The food was very good, but was VERY expensive! Fortunately we had a few meals which were included as part of our honeymoon package, which made it a little easier. I recall at one point spending about $35 on a hamburger! If you drink like I like to drink, make sure to have a lot of room on your credit card! I wish I could give a little more detail about the food, but being that the review is so far out, I have forgotten some of the details on the meals (sorry).

Service again was top notch!! Part of our honeymoon package included a dinner for two at the one of the restaurants, but set up privately on the beachfront. It was too windy that evening and management felt so bad that they could not accommodate, that the following evening our butler Hanoo set up an entire dining experience on a small private section of the beach just for us. He set up the table, candles in the sand, lighting, etc., and drove a buggy back and forth to the restaurant in order to cater to our every need (wine, appetizers, desert). Was very romantic, and at no extra cost to us

We had gotten PADI certified to dive on our honeymoon, so we were able to dive twice at the Taj. This was our first diving experience ever, so not much to compare it to. Dives were amazing however, saw reef sharks, turtles, Napoleon fish, eels, and many other beautiful colorful animals. The team does everything for you, and all you have to do is show up! Was able to dive again in the Red Sea on our second trip, and boy they really spoil you in the Maldives!

We were not huge spa people, so given the prices at the Taj spa, we opted to wait until the last part of our trip try the spa treatments.

In closing, the experience was amazing, and everytime I go back and look through our pictures, I feel a sense of nostalgia which I have not experienced with too many places. Do not expect to party like a rock star, but this will be one of the most romantic experiences of your life. Make sure you save plenty of cash, but also try and take advantage of some of the packages

Cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnabed
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Lovely property... beautiful.....well maintained..great staff.. they go out of their way to ensure u have a good time.. not just help you plan a special occassion but also responsible.. the prompt assistance of the hotel staff to a small medical emergency in the middle of our trip totally impressed us..
Superb food.. one must try each of their restaurants.. buffet was also very good..

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Hi guys...my first review....the TAJ was just unreal..only one word to describe this slice of heaven...PERFECTION..we also went to two other resorts in the 2 weeks we were there and realized not all the islands are the same......to sum it up.....Maldives is for pampering and luxury..spend the money and do it right or dont bother.....out of the 3 resorts we went to the Taj Exotica had first class service far supreme than the others...not saying the other two were not beautiful...just lacked that personal first class touch which the Taj provided.Went to Sun island years ago....when they opened and have been to Soneva Gili and Soneva Fushi which by the way were outstanding...the other 2 islands we visited have been given reviews

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GreeceBen10
Reviewed 26 July 2009

The previous comments mentioned by Allan really sum it up. it is simply the best 7 days i have ever spent outside my residence. special thanks to our butler hussain and the GM Mr.Girish. and if I had to stay for 5 days I would raly be upset. & days were just enough for us. It was realy total relaxation. do take the lagoon villa with a pool facing the quiter side.

Now ,actualy is the best time to travel economicaly. bringa book to read and a note book to write down your future plans. the time you sepnd there will be very inspiring.

enjoy it
Numan

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emboodhu Finolhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort
Gili Lankanfushi
Gili Lankanfushi
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!