“Maldives quick getaway at it's best”

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
California
“Maldives quick getaway at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

Just a 10 minute speedboat ride from the capital or airport, yet far away enough.
Nearly all "rooms" water villas(built on water) so your swimming area is right off your deck or else there is this fab infinity pool. Outside my room, at low tide, the sea was knee deep and very calm even in July when seas are at their roughest. Beautiful pristine waters, of course!
Great gym, with "infinity views" as it too is built over the water with glass windows all around! Yoga pavillion and spa are available (though I only peeked at them).
I loved my room, probably the simplest of the water villas, it had various reading and lounging chairs, even on the deck, fabulous bathroom with view and great amenities! From my bathtub I could see reef sharks and fishes swimming right past me!
Plenty of space to walk around, areas to lounge and read or tan or watch the stars! Good reading room as well where I caught up with news and business magazines!
I hear the choice of diving spots is fabulous. And I saw young'uns enjoying the game room.
Special to me: generous amounts of drinking water provided in the room as well as at lounging areas throughout the resort!
Menu and wine list were richly diverse. I especially appreciated the wine list where the least expensive was great quality and slightly smaller than regular bottle: ideal for this solo traveller!
Staff: attentive, unobtrusive, friendly and eager to help or please! I hear the staff to guest ration is 1:4 but you'd never know it! (I caught a gimpse of staff quarters and thought it was generous!)
A honeymoon couple from Delhi, we came and left together and they thought their honeymoon was divine. They were able to "recover" from their massive wedding festivities!

I would have two suggestions to the management, in addition to the fab in room bath products, pls add sunblock! And maybe a complimentary "glass of ...." each evening at the bar/lounge each evening to toast the sunset and get the guests going.....?
This resort was a great way to celebrate my 20th trip to Maldives! I prefer this over many other luxury resorts throughout the country. Some resort islands are rather small and feel "crowded" with high walls of villas, not very inviting to walk around the island! Others have only one dining/drinking facility, this one had 3!
Also, proximity to capital and airport means one can get there quickly, without a layover in another hotel in the capital before another flight to the resort!
And within this resort, you could dine "in the sea"....ask them!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank EuForia_01
KunalArya, Resort Coordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2010

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

Everyone at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa would like to thank you for the beautiful review written by you post your recent stay with us. Your lovely note of appreciation has been communicated to the entire team at the resort and we are all very happy to have received the same. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in future. It gives us great pleasure to learn that we have been able to impress a seasoned traveller such as yourself who has been to Maldives about 20 times before.

The Taj Group of Hotels very strongly believes that passion for excellence and commitment to quality can only be achieved through employee satisfaction. A satisfied associate is not only a happy representative but a great asset to the hotel.

We would also like to thank you for your suggestions on including sun-block to the bathroom amenities and a complimentary glass of wine / drink in the evening to toast the sunset. We have considered your recommendation and will be providing complimentary sun-block at the pool and have the same available for purchase should you require at our Lifestyle boutique. You would also be pleased to know that we do have happy hours at the Equator Bar during the sunset hour where we offer discounts on drinks and complimentary canapés.

Once again we all would like to express our gratitude for your lovely feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise for another memorable holiday and for you to try our award winning Jiva Grande Spa.

In the meanwhile if I can be of any assistance please do let me know at the email address mentioned below.

Email – kunal.arya@tajhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oxford UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Spent a week there in a deluxe lagoon villa facing towards the north east and away from the prevailing wind. From the moment we were met at the airport we were taken complete care of. Within 30 minutes of leaving customs we were in our room - hence it seems a little odd to complain about occasional aircraft noise as some have done. The room was large and comfortable (you will need to like a firm mattress) with well stocked fridge (prices the same as at the bar) and tea and coffee (Nespresso machine) facilities. Housekeeping was superb with Moulton Brown toiletries and an inexhaustible supply of towels. The deck was compact but very private with a small freshwater plunge pool and steps to the lagoon.
Facilities were good with a modern gym and good size salt water pool. There is a spa which is not cheap but even for a 'spa cynic' like myself provided an excellent value massage - quality is super. Swimming in the lagoon is good - although it is shallow there is a sand floor on the main beach side which is much easier than the broken coral which is often found (and exists around the villas). There is no easily accessible reef but some coral outcrops a good way out provide some good snorkel options.
Food is very good throughout the resort and flexible - we ate in the bar on two nights and they offered to get us anything from the restaurant menu. I agree with the positive comments about the Deep end restaurant which does excellent fish.
Nothing seemed too much trouble. The only mild gripe I had was with the 'guide' snorkel trip which was expensive fro what it was and not marked any great interest from the staff - in stark contrast with everything else.
We wil be going back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mfhunter
KunalArya, Resort Coordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2010

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are extremely delighted to learn that your stay at our resort has been very relaxing and you were impressed with the product and the services offered at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa. You would be pleased to know that the Molton Brown products used at the resort are all bio-degradable as we at the resort believe in operating at the highest environment friendly levels in recognition of which we are the Maldives first resort to have received the Earth Check Silver certification under the global certification program for environmentally friendly hotels in December 2009. It is a great to pleasure to know that our award winning Jiva Grande Spa was able to meet your high expectations and you loved the quality of the massages offered at the Jiva Grande Spa. Your positive feedback has been communicated to the entire team at the resort and we are all very happy to have received the same. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in future.

While we are glad that your overall stay was fabulous, we do apologize that the snorkelling trip was not satisfactory. I would like to assure you that our General Manager, Mr. Girish Sehgal has taken the matter up with our Asst. Front Office Manager and Udo, who is our partner and the owner of the Dive Centre to ensure that the guided snorkelling trips are more fun and exciting. We have also looked at couple of other reefs nearby where the marine life is rich and abundant for an excellent snorkelling trip and will organize the same for you on your return.

We are elated to share with you that Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives has been adjudged as one of the Top 10 Best Overseas Leisure Hotel in whole Africa, The Middle East and the Indian Ocean by Conde Nast Traveller UK Annual Reader’s Travel Awards 2010.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise for another memorable holiday.

In the meanwhile if I can be of any assistance please do contact me at the email below.

New Delhi,India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

Excellent Hotel- imaginatively and aesthetically planned. Very friendly staff- did everything possible to attend to every wish. Massages at the Spa very good. Executive Chef actually a foodie. Had very good sleep. Fresh sea breeze throughout the island

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Honeygatherer
KunalArya, Resort Coordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 September 2010

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

The entire resort team joins me in thanking you for your excellent feedback. Your feedback has been communicated to Executive Chef – Mr. Sheroy Kermani and all at the resort, who are very happy to have received the same. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in future.

We are delighted to hear that the team at the resort looked after you - true Exotica style and helped you return home relaxed and rejuvenated. The entire team at the resort takes great pride in ensuring that all our guests enjoy their stay with us and return with fond memories of their holidays.

Once again I thank you for your glowing feedback of the resort’s products and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise for another fun filled and relaxing holiday.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

This is definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Service was extremely attentive without ever being too intrusive; the choice and quality of food was incredible; room was wonderful. We couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelGuru71
KunalArya, Resort Coordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2010

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are extremely delighted to hear of your wonderful holiday experience at our resort. We have communicated your lovely feedback to the entire team at the resort who are very happy to have received the same. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in future.

You would also be pleased to know that Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives has been adjudged as one of the Top 10 Best Overseas Leisure Hotel in Africa, The Middle East and the Indian Ocean by Conde Nast Traveller UK Annual Reader’s Travel Awards 2010.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

Is my pleasure to write this. I can guarantee that has been without doubt the best service that has never before received. I hope to return someday to visit them.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank XAC

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

We are very happy to have received your superfluous feedback post your recent stay at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives. Your lovely words of encouragement and appreciation have been communicated to the entire team at the resort and they are all delighted to have received the same. I am certain that this will encourage us to achieve higher standards of excellence in future.

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives has very recently been recognized among the Top 10 Best Overseas Leisure Hotel in whole of Africa, Middle East and Indian Ocean by the Conde Nast Traveller UK Annual Reader’s Travel Awards 2010 for the quality of our product and services.

Once again thank you for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to our slice of paradise for another memorable holiday.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

We were given a five star service from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. The location, the hotel and the staff were all amazing!!! It is definately the perfect choice for a honeymoon!

We stayed in a lagoon villa with private plunge pool which was beautiful. As we were on honeymoon, the hotel were kind enough to offer us a few nights in the beach villa but we loved our lagoon villa so much that we stayed there for the duration of our stay (we could not part with the beautiful views of the Indian Ocean!)

Jatin and I would just like to personally thank the whole team at the Taj Exotica for making our honeymoon so special in particular the resort cor-ordinator, the general manager, the chefs (who made Jatin some special tasty food), the staff at the Spa esp the Dr at the Spa (who runs an excellent morning Yoga class), our Butler, the friendly bar staff who made us tasty cocktails and shisha..........the list is endless...THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

We were so impressed and pleased that we are recommending the Taj Exotica to our friends and family.

We would suggest the full board option which is very good value for money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M0na76
KunalArya, Resort Coordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Dear Mr. and Ms. Patel,

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are extremely delighted for your superlative review of our product and services. It gives us great pleasure to learn that the resort associates were able to make your honeymoon unforgettable. I have communicated your words of admiration to our General Manager – Mr. Girish Sehgal, our Resident Yogi – Dr. Pravesh, your Butler – Mohammed, the team at the Spa and the Bar, Chef Sheroy - Executive Chef and his award winning brigade of culinary experts and all our other associates at the resort. We all would like to thank you for the same and am certain that your appreciation will motivate us to excel, and to achieve higher standards of excellence.

We would also like to thank you for recommending Taj Exotica Resort & Spa to your friends and family as the best publicity for any resort / hotel is their happy guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise for another memorable holiday maybe this time at our Deluxe Beach villa with private plunge pool.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

WOW! What a place. From the minute we landed at the airport the serivce that was provided made us feel like we were the most important people on the resort. Stayed here for our 1st Anniversary from 27th June to 4th July, and on arrival we were assigned a personal butler. Ours was call Fayaz. I must say he was a very nice chap, always ready to help, always there when we needed something. On the day of our anniversary, he gave us a good surprise - a bottle of sparkling champagne, a cake, card and had the bed designed with rose petals - absolutely stunning. He also managed to fulfil my request of a bouquet of flowers (although i paid for it). The room (deluxe lagoon villa) was superb - many a hours were spent in the private plunge pool. The food was very accomodating for all tastebuds and personal requests for non menu items (which need to be given in advance) were fulfilled to the best of their ability. The restaurant staff were very friendly and welcoming especially Vidhya and Sallah, who made the effort to make us feel comfortable. All our special requests for non-menu items were handled by Sallah and he did not let us down. I would like to say well done to all the staff for all their brilliant work. The spa was also extremely special. the cleanliness, anf the proffesionalism portrayed by Jiva spa staff made the experience even more memorable. The only down side - if i were to be picky was that i had several phonecalls on the day of my anniversary from family and friends to wish us, some of whom could not get hold of us as we were not in the room and so left messages for me - these were not however passed on to me. I only found out when my one of my family member said that i left a message and whether or not i got it. I brought up this point with the staff and i recieved a call apologising for the matter and because I thought it was only one call I said it was fine. however on coming home i found out 2 other people had called and left messages - but i had'nt got them. Other than that the stay was very pleasurable and will definitely be coming back to this resort. Kishan & Khilna Suchak

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kish402
Dear Mr. and Ms. Suchak,

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are all extremely delighted to learn of your wonderful experience at our resort and are grateful to you for the lovely review. We have communicated your feedback to Fayaz, Vidhya, Salah, our therapists at the award winning Jiva Grande Spa and the entire team at the resort who are delighted to have received the same. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence.

We are very happy to hear that our expert culinary team could impress you with their gastronomic offerings and the team here could make your first anniversary celebration very special and memorable. However, we apologize for the displeasure caused to you and the family members regarding the calls that you missed. Our General Manager has taken a strong note of it and offers his personal apology for the same. This has been taken up very seriously with our Front Office Manager, Butler Manager and the Training Manager who will ensure that the message handling procedure is strengthened and reinforced to ensure such an incident is not repeated.

We hope to welcome you back to our island paradise for another magical experience.

In the meanwhile if I can be of any assistance please do contact me at the email address below.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emboodhu Finolhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Gili Lankanfushi Maldives
Gili Lankanfushi Maldives
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,738 reviews

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!