“Surprisingly Good”

Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surbiton
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We picked this hotel as an overnighter close to Hampton Court for the Flower Show - and it was a good choice. It's not the greatest looking hotel outside or the best situation/surroundings, but it has a great welcome inside. The staff are 5* in every area.

We had an Executive Suite and I was told that we had free run of the mini bar - how exciting, NOT! A bottle of Peroni, a tiny can of Coke, tiny Diet Coke and a can of Red Bull. The 4 finger Kit Kat and small Pringles were soon scoffed though! A 250ml wine would have been a nice addition but bottled water was also provided in the room. The mini bar was handy to keep our own bottle of wine cool whilst we went down to dinner.

Although the balcony overlooks the main road it was very pleasant to sit in the evening sun, cool wine in hand, and watch the boats on the river on the other side of the road. Someone thoughtfully provided a massive firework display at 9pm which was a nice touch!

Back to the room.... The glass door to the bathroom is a bit too trendy for us but we survived. The room was spacious and spotless and had everything you could need. The air con was efficient and welcome. We felt the duvet was a bit on the small side, it only seemed to reach the edge of the bed before we got underneath but we both slept reasonably well.

We went down for a quick dinner with no great expectations and were very surprised. More of the 5* service as napkins were placed in our laps, menus in our hands and discussions over suitable wines were had. We choose different steaks, one with salad and one with all the tasty bits. Both were excellent and cooked exactly to our liking. We enjoyed the chat, friendliness and attentiveness of the staff - all in exactly the right proportions. Thanks, to you all.

We will most certainly stay there again for the Hampton Court Flower Show and any other time that we are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gagan S, General Manager at Holiday Inn London-Kingston South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear WendyHP,

Thank you for your glorious comments, especially your mention of the 5 star service delivered by our Team. We are indeed proud of our crew and they work extremely hard to deliver high class expected service.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the striking sunset and the view of The Thames River from your balcony over a glass of wine. As much we would like to take the credit of the spectacular fireworks, but the actual acclaim goes to Hampton Court Palace, which is only a stone’s throw away.

The entire Team joins me to Thank you for your magnificent feedback and we all ardently look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding in Kingston. It was a 20 min. walk (5 min drive) from the church and reception so very convenient. Lovely outlook over the river although quite noisy from the road. The room (executive suite) was ideal - very clean and remarkably soundproofed.

My only "complaint" is the placing of narrow floor-to- ceiling mirrors each side of the door into the bathroom. Having got up in the middle of the night, I shrieked when I saw a figure to the side of me as I left the bathroom - half asleep, it took a second to realise it was my own reflection (enough to frighten anyone!). It was a disconcerting experience even in broad daylight. As there are adequate mirrors throughout the suite, these are an unnecessary "design" feature.

The aircon is pretty noisy and, with a main road immediately outside, having the balcony window open isn't a viable alternative if one wants quietness during the night. Fortunately, it was quite cool during our two nights so we managed with no aircon and closed window.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff, without exception, superb. They were pleasant, helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: The view from the front rooms is lovely but it may be quieter at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Gagan S, General Manager at Holiday Inn London-Kingston South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear jktraveller69,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn, London Kingston South and for your kind comments.

I am glad that you were delighted with your overall stay and we have made a note of your recommendations of the room design. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the beautiful location in our green London suburb and you were able to enjoy the walk, by the Thames River.
I will pass on your appreciation to the Team, who works hard and constantly looks at the finer details to ensure a complete satisfaction for our guests.

We eagerly look forward in welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Let me get my ONE GRIPE out of the way first :
The FREE car park is a fair old walk, so drop off luggage, small people and the fragile ones at the front desk before parking.

The comments (98% positive):
Front desk staff were very Welcoming.
Made a fuss of Mia and made her feel genuinely welcome
The public areas were flawless and impeccably clean (trust me, I even did "top of door/frames" checks and they were dust free!)
Random observation for us were the Ground Floor toilets. There is music and mood lighting. Not something I would normally consider necessary but a nice touch, whilst carrying out ones business! Needless to say, these were impeccably clean too with shining chrome & Mirrors everywhere!

Our Room (233) was on the second floor and a fair walk from elevator.
Doors operate on wifi entry :)
The décor is Modern.
There is no view to speak of.
The room was again, impeccably Clean, furnished with the needs of a traveller, without too much in the room.
Refrigerator and beverage facilities were adequate (Gold Blend Coffee) and refills were bought to the room within minutes of my calls
The bathroom was stocked with plenty of towels, cleaning products and mood lighting
The bath was very comfy too
The shower head could use a little descaling, but nothing shabby
Pillows! Choice of Soft or Firm. Loved that little touch. Bedding felt fresh (although there were a few nicks and tears)
Other in room things : Blackout curtains, Large TV. Hairdryer. Desk and Chair and soft small armchair. Lots of lights and Mirrors. AirCon. Soundproofing (? I think, as we heard only muffled voices and noises)

We had 2 issues with the room and on both occasions my call was dealt with promptly and professionally.

Breakfast : Where do I start?

I am incredibly judgemental when it comes to hotels and especially the food areas. This hotel, for the first time EVER in my history of travel writing, gave me NO REASON to frown.

Sumit (Maître D') was exceptional and his team worked in flawless unison. He was professional in direction and assisting his staff, at all times.

He was not only manager, but also customer service advisor, child server, concierge and so much more. his eyes were everywhere and nothing was too large or small to deal with.

From the welcome to the departure, breakfast was perfect. We literally sat there for 2 hours on our departure day! (unheard of!) We just didn't want to leave.

Location :
Right on river, although access to the water is some what limited (if you are into visiting the waters edge, which was one reason why I like this hotel, maybe bear this in mind)
25 minutes (or less) to Chessington
The town area has lots to offer, from Pizza Hut to Pubs, Shops to cashpoints, etc. We didn't use any of them, just observations.

To the Manager (I hope that you don't mind my drawing your attention to the following)

The Chefs would carry the hot trays to the front of the serving areas (the public area) and there were too many 'near misses' with collisions for my liking. I would expect the refills to be from behind the Hot Chafe dishes.

Hot Chocolate was chargeable at breakfast. My daughter wanted only a small cup. I do feel to charge for a beverage when you offer such a huge array of foods is a little much.

To call housekeeping was NOT pain free. I couldn't get through to H/K or Front Desk either (It was 7pm Friday evening, so maybe a busy time?). I had to eventually call Room service to get a message to Housekeeping as the other phones were not picked up :/

We will be back. I was 98% impressed with this hotel. Thank you so much for making us welcome and feel part of an important clientele! :D

Room Tip: Paying for a river view wont really gain much... the river 'ish' and the busy front road. No...
2  Thank Alex A

Dear alexa310168

“Staff=Exceptional. Cleanliness=Second to none. Breakfast=Fit for a Queen” Your title itself is a testament of the efforts from the Team members.

I am delighted to learn that you were pleased with our products and services and that you would like to return again. I have taken a note of your valuable suggestions and we will work on them to get a 100% score from you and other patrons. I will certainly pass on your gratitude to Sumit, who delighted you along with his Team.

A sincere Thank You for your gracious and detailed feedback post your recent stay. We all eagerly look forward in welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

stopped here in june 28th as we was visiting chessington. a great hotel friend staff couldn't find fault breakfast was lovely would stay here again the two of us had a good night sleep very quite bed comfy good size tv too

Dear Mark w,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn, London Kingston South, I am glad that the location was convenient for you and that you enjoyed the breakfast spread.

The members of the Team joins me to thank you again for your custom and we will be delighted to serve you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for the night whilst visiting Chessington. What a wonderful place, great location and the staff were lovely, the breakfast was perfect such a fantastic choice and the full English was hot. only complaint is that the directions are wrong, you do not need to go down Windmill Lane as you need to turn off before this road.

Dear Rhonda S,

Thank you for your kind words after your stay at the Holiday Inn, London Kingston South. I am pleased to hear that the hotel location was convenient for you to access Chessington World Of Adventures and that the Team delivered to your expectations. I am sorry for the lack of clarity while giving out the directions and have made a note of your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon and please do let us know if my Team or I could be of any assistance.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great trip to London & the tennis, stayed here, hotel was friendly couldn't do more to help. We tried a disastrous restaurant sat evening so came back to the hotel for room service which was just great! Comfortable room, bathroom petite but very functional and clean.. Modern rooms etc. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Trip & get overlooking the river, but quieter overlooking the business park, Not very attractive...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gagan S, General Manager at Holiday Inn London-Kingston South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Gary W,

Thank you for being our Guest and for posting your kind review after your recent stay at The Holiday Inn, London Kingston South.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Tennis at the Wimbledon and the Spectacular Thames River view from the Hotel. We very much appreciate your kind compliments and thank you for your recommendation about the Room Service. We would encourage you to sample our hand picked all day dining menu along with some mouth watering authentic Indian curries and a tantalising Carvery bonanza on Sundays.

I eagerly look forward to meeting you on your next visit and I am sure we will make it equally pleasurable for you each time.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The service at the hotel, from when we walked in to when we left, was exceptional. Room exactly as booked, nothing too much trouble, very helpful and efficient. Rooms were modern, clean and of high quality. We had an exec room over looking the river - which was a lovely view to wake to. Breakfast in the room - very reasonable at £10 each with a great cooked breakfast + pastries etc. Only downside, if you don't have a car, is that the hotel is a 15 min walk to the nearest tube -which meant we had to use a taxi but the fare was put on the room which, again, was great service. Would definitely recommend. Eva on reception was brilliant!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gagan S, General Manager at Holiday Inn London-Kingston South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Princessjaz,

Thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn, London Kingston South and giving us an opportunity to serve you. Your wonderful compliments are a true testament to our sincere efforts in providing seamless service.

I am especially pleased to see Eva stood out amongst the Team and that she exceeded your expectations, she is one of our very hard working employees and is indeed a true asset to the organisation.

I am glad that you enjoyed the scenic beauty of The Thames River from your room, the vicinity has many cycling and jogging or even a walking routes, which can be enjoyed by the river. I hope we are able to showcase many other offerings the Hotel and area has to offer on your next visit.

My Team and I sincerely Thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Gagan Sharma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surbiton
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon...
#3 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London Kingston Upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London King...
#4 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel
Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel
#6 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Hotel Bosco
Hotel Bosco
#2 of 2 in Surbiton

Been to Holiday Inn London-Kingston South? Share your experiences!