“Excellent”

Villiers Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Surbiton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Having used their sister guest house in Thames Ditton it was no surprise that the standards would be high.Daniel the Manager was very helpful and nothing seemed to much trouble.
The only problem I now have is which one do I use?
PS: The best quality complimentary toiletries I've seen in a long while

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Villiers Lodge is a fabulous place to stay. The new owner Daniel makes you feel welcome from the moment you walk through the door of this beautiful house and can't do enough to make your stay a comfortable and relaxed experience. His quiet,calm and polite approach puts you at ease immediately and he is not intrusive in any way. The rooms are exceptionally clean and modern with hidden extras that you don't expect - complimentary high quality toiletries in the bathroom, bottled water and welcome chocolates. My single room at the top of the house was really private and the bed extremely comfortable and warm. The breakfast was so much more than you would expect - a fabulous continental buffet (including the tastiest fresh fruit salad) followed by the most amazing full English. Daniel sources the ingredients from high quality suppliers and this shows in the food that is served, and it is cooked perfectly too. I would highly recommend Villiers Lodge to anyone thinking of staying in the area and I will definitely be coming back myself.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked the large family room (for myself and my 2 sisters), together with a single room for our brother in order to attend a family funeral. The welcome we received from Daniel the new owner was exceptional - as was the rooms. Our room had 3 single beds and was very spacious. The decor and en-suite facilities were brilliant, as was the substantial breakfast that we received in the lovely bright dining room. Overall an excellent B&B with the most competitive rates. Oh! And the chocolates in the entrance hall were fabulous. Would recommend this for future and would definitely stay there again. Keep up the good work Daniel - you are the most fantastic host.

Room Tip: All rooms are brilliant
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CurrieclanWillenhall
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had a great weekend break at this bed & breakfast over the weekend of the Hampton Court Flower Show. This was bought as a birthday present for me from my partner, and was a very nice surprise. I can't comment on the price/value, but the accommodation and location were fantastic, I couldn't have chosen better myself.

The building itself is decorated to the highest standard, with very nice finishes and solid oak furniture throughout. We had a ground floor room by the front door, very comfortable, I cannot fault it. It all looks brand new.

The breakfast didn't have any wow factor, but was perfect for what we wanted. Portion size spot on. Cooked to perfection. Nice Sausages, bacon, eggs, beans. Cereals, nice coffee.
Service at breakfast in my opinion was quick, despite what another reviewer has said.

One thing I liked, although I suppose this is fairly standard in B&B's now is the free WIFI.

Location wise, it was about a 10 minute walk through a quiet residential suburb into Kingston.
You can do a route either completely through a suburb, or along the river, both the same duration.
The Surbiton train station was a 4-5 minute walk away. The train takes 7 minutes to Hampton Court. Extra trains were put on to service the flower show which was great. It was cheaper to use the train to get to Hampton Court than park up there for the day, which would have been £10.

Some constructive criticism to complete my review:
Being very picky here but, at breakfast time one day, the gardeners came to mow the lawn and also seemed to be using a leaf blower. This was outside the breakfast room window (which of course had to be open due to the heat wave), and turned out to be very loud and disturbed what should have been a pleasant breakfast. If it was me, I would simply ask the gardeners to come after normal breakfast hours. Maybe this was a one off?

Also another observation, not really a criticism: The owners seemed quite quiet. Which didn't feel that welcoming, and seemed to be a missed opportunity. However I cant really criticise, because I'm of the breed that finds too many enquiries about what am I doing during my stay, where do I come from etc. etc. intrusive and annoying.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had booked two standard double rooms for the duration of the Hampton Court Flower show, and our room completely blew us away- huge ground floor room with kingsize bed, settee, armchair, desk and walk in wardrobe to complement the wonderful en suite batrhroom. However, our friends were put on the second floor with a standard bedroom with no air conditioning and in this weather it was a necessity, but they did not complain. The breakfast room only catered for a limited number of guests and was particularly small, including tables, where there were no side plates or knives for toast and service was very slow, not removing used plates until asked. The breakfast was basic with only a basic sausage, bacon, fried egg and tomato offered as "full English". No other options available, ie. scrambled or boiled egg, fish or porridge. Two guests were asked to wait until other guests had finished before being allowed in the dining room due to the restricted size - there were only 8 guests being served at this time.
The location was perfect for the buses and train station, with central London only 35mins and Hampton Court only 7mins after a 5minute walk to the station. We found Bosco lounge wonderful for an evening meal, even closer than the station.

Room Tip: Ask for room 3 on the ground floor it is beautiful, quiet and overlokks the garden with patio doors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
LauraEdwards-Manager, Manager at Villiers Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Steven C,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Villiers Lodge.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. I am sorry that we could not also upgrade your friends, but we were fully booked and no other rooms were available. All of our upstairs rooms do have fans in them and we would gladly have provided an additional fan had your friends mentioned that they required another one.

The breakfast room is small, yes. As I'm sure you can appreciate, Villiers Lodge is a bed and breakfast, not a hotel. The guest house has been converted from a Victorian house. We have tried to keep as many of the original features as possible and not tamper with the layout of the house.

I apologise for the wait you experienced during breakfast. All food is cooked fresh to order and this does take some time. We were catering to a house of 14 people during your stay so I apologise that you found my service slow - I can assure you that I was moving as quickly as possible! Our cooked breakfast is bacon, sausage, choice of egg, grilled tomato and beans - there is also an assortment of fruit, cereals, yogurts, etc. to choose from on our buffet table. As a small establishment, I feel that it would be impractical (and indeed stinky!) to cook fish.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and ease of travel. London Waterloo is 18 minutes away and Hampton Court is a 7 minute journey by train. And I am glad to hear that you experienced some of the eateries Surbiton has to offer.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Good location if traveling to Hampton Court for the Flower Show. Slightly too far to walk down to Kingston if you are a "golden oldie" though and the choice of cheap places to eat out in Kingston is non existent unless you like McDonalds ! Comfortable rooms, amazingly clean and all the necessary facilities. Excellent breakfast. Very friendly and accommodating staff - bit pricey for the room we had but considering London prices at Flower Show time it wasn't too bad. Free parking and Laura suggested going to Hampton Court by train rather than drive but if you are carrying loads of plants back probably not very sensible - also only one train every half hour and it takes on 12 mins to get to Hampton so not very efficient.

Room Tip: Being on the ground floor only a fanlight window was open for obvious security reasons so the room w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Southernbelle758,

I am glad to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay at Villiers Lodge!

Next time you are in the area, try to dine out in Surbiton - there are loads of friendly pubs and family owned restaurants to choose from. Kingston is great for night life and shopping, but Surbiton knows how to do food ;-)

I am sorry that you found the room hot and noisy. The windows in the room do open - please see me on your next stay if you require assistance in opening them. I apologise for the noise - normally the classical music is switched off at night, but I must have forgotten to turn it off the evening of your stay. My apologies for this oversight.

The trains to Hampton Court are not as frequent as the ones to London, but the journey itself only takes 7 minutes. Most people find that this is the easiest way to get to Hampton Court as traffic can be dreadful all around the palace. Train times can be found in advance on the tfl website to help plan your day and avoid unnecessary wait times. I'm sorry you didn't care for my suggestion, but hope that you had a nice day at the Flower Show regardless!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have struggled to find anywhere nice reasonably priced to stay near Kingston then I stumbled across Villiers Lodge what a find this was. I was met by Laura the manager who was so welcoming. There is a lovely peaceful and relaxing atmosphere about the whole place. The rooms are tastefully decorated, well maintained and very relaxing. As a business traveller, things like plenty of plug sockets, fast free wifi and a quiet good night’s sleep are really important, I get all this at Villiers Lodge. The beds are so comfortable; it’s difficult to get up in the morning. The showers are excellent. The whole place is spotlessly clean. Breakfast is cooked fresh for you and there is a good range of cereals, best bit for me is proper fresh coffee (no instant). The hotel is in a very nice quiet area and is within walking distance of Kingston and Surbiton, although the K4 stops just round the corner and goes to both Surbiton and Kingston train stations. I am delighted to have found Villiers lodge and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely ut if you have difficulties with stairs ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nogie1810

Dear Nogie1810,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoy your stays at Villiers Lodge!

Many thanks for your continued custom,
Laura Harper-Edwards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surbiton
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
Hotel Bosco
Hotel Bosco
#2 of 2 in Surbiton
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon...
#3 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London Kingston Upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London King...
#4 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames

Been to Villiers Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!