The Gallivant
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hampshire Lodge Hotel(St Peter Port)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,478 results
All reviewsrestaurant with roomsdeck roomcamber sandsbeach hutsand dunesenglish wineslambdungenessopposite the beachwine listsmall roomboutique hotellocal producetea and cakesouth coastgranolacomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a relaxing and overnight at the Gallivant last weekend. We arrived by train and had to call a taxi as there were none waiting at the station. It allowed us some time to have a little wander around the Rye which was very quaint and friendly town.

The room was small but had everything you needed and the bathrooms are great with plush bathrobes and a rainshower head in the shower. We had an outdoor patio attached to our room, which let in the beautiful afternoon light. Free wifi in the rooms which is always a bonus!

There is a little nook in the restaurant with comfy couches and games (dominoes, checkers, etc...) which we enjoyed with afternoon tea. The gnocchi was the best dish we had at the restaurant. Definitely give it a try!

Overall it was a the perfect escape away from the city and just an hour and half out of London. Will definitely be back in the summer months to enjoy some more time on the beach!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

we paid extra for the room with decking but the weather wasn't great but it was a lovely place to stay. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially Kelly who found my heated rollers and had them sent to my home. Such good service. I thoroughly recommend it. Carmel & Tom

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carmel B
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My recent visit of The Gallivant can be clearly split into 2 categories – the premises themselves and the level of service experienced.

On arrival at The Gallivant’s snug car park, you are greeted by a single storey structure, reminiscent of a motel in an American film. The Reception area and restaurant off to the left are wooden floored and decorated with drift wood style furniture.

The rooms are comfortable, light and airy and well appointed in a similar style. The beds are comfortable and shower pretty powerful. However, don’t expect a wardrobe in the room, hanging space is provided by a row of pegs on the wall, which I found reminiscent of a cloak room at school. There is also a lack of available power points, which left me having to leave the kettle on the floor while it boiled, which is not particularly desirable.

Having said that the venue is quaint and quirky, and certainly rustic in nature.

However, the level of service experienced during the stay left somewhat to be desired. The purpose of the visit to the hotel was a family wedding on-site, which was due to start at 1400 on Sunday afternoon. Upon arrival around 1200, we were advised that rooms would be unavailable until 1500 due to cleaning. Having arrived at the hotel dressed in jeans, I was not best pleased with this (nor were the other Family members in the same boat). The gentleman on Reception decided to call a colleague, who appeared to be a Manager of some kind. His response to the issue was dismissive to say the least, his message was simply that existing guests had an 1100 check out, so rooms would only be available from 1500 and that the Bride and Groom had been made aware. Given that the hotel was supposed to have been booked exclusively for the wedding, I was extremely surprised that they would take this stance, as they were aware of the timings involved in the wedding.

We even offered to take one of the two booked rooms so that we could at least get changed, but the message was the same. Eventually, after further “debate” in Reception, two rooms made up rooms were suddenly available.

I have stayed in a large number of hotels across the world, both good and bad in many ways, but I would have expected some degree of expectation management, such as “we are aiming to get the rooms ready by x, please bear with us”. Sadly, was not to be at The Gallivant.

The morning after the wedding, despite breakfast being advertised as starting at 0800 (assuming that Sunday times applied on a Bank Holiday), we arrived in the marquis to find that it was only just starting to be laid up. Coffee was eventually provided and the cooked element of breakfast (inc the fresh bread) finally arrived at 0820. Not particularly great when on a Bank Holiday Monday, many were looking to leave the hotel early to avoid the traffic. The lid of the ban marie containing the tomatoes, mushrooms and scrambled egg had no handle, so guests were left to move the hot lid themselves with napkins, given there were no service utensils in evidence either.

Apparently normally the breakfast at The Gallivant is continental style, consisting of juice, coffee/tea, granola, museli, small packs of cereal and bread. Be aware that normally a cooked breakfast attracts an additional charge at the hotel. As it was included in the room price for the wedding, I can’t confirm the usual price.

The one exception to my criticism of the level of customer service at The Gallivant, was those manning the bar during the evening of the wedding. Despite being busy, the barmen were professional, speedy and enjoyed a good amount of good natured banter with the guests.

Sadly the features that make the accommodation at The Gallivant quaint and quirky are badly let down by the overall level of service. If the hotel had a room rate more in keeping with its offering, then I think more would be forgiven, however, at a "special" wedding price of £125 a night, this was certainly not the case. In fact, from the price of the room for the quality of the experience, together with the very evident price list for purchasing items in the room, from books, to wooden “Do Not Disturb” sign, the guest is left feeling that revenue generation, rather than customer service is paramount to those in charge at The Gallivant.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Hestia_01

Many thanks for your review following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you found The Gallivant to be quaint and quirky but am naturally disappointment with your comments regarding customer service.

As mentioned in my previous response, we will look at ways to relocate power points when we commence with the refurbishment of bedrooms.

I must offer some clarification on what was said regarding the availability of bedrooms.
-The receptionist politely explained that your rooms were not yet ready. Check out is 11am and you arrived at 11.45am
-It was me (General Manager) who came to see you and I was polite from my arrival. I politely again explained the rooms were not yet available. I said I would check on the room status and let you know once the room was ready. I am sorry if you felt my response was dismissive but my actions certainly were not as I ensured 2 rooms were available to you within 10 minutes (11.55am).
-I must also add that I did offer to store your luggage rather than you having to return this to the car. The response to this offer was a no.

There was no stance, but we had simply stated the facts. We did explain that we will endeavour to get the rooms ready for you as soon as possible. The hotel was booked exclusively, however it was fully booked on the night before.

I too have stayed in some great hotels around the world and have also been fortunate to work in some of the leading hotels in the UK. My response to your request did advise that I would get the rooms for you as soon as possible and I delivered on this.

I have noted your comments regarding breakfast and would like to apologise for the late start of our breakfast. I have also investigated the comments regarding handles and am having these repaired.

A cooked breakfast was included in your rate and therefore to clarify what the standard inclusions are in our bed and breakfast rate, I thought it best to list them here (you will see that it is more substantial than the juice, museli, granola bar and bread that you have assumed). Our room rates now include a fantastic 'homemade' breakfast table with some additional items cooked in the kitchen available at a small supplement. We are really proud of this, especially as the majority of the items on our new breakfast table are made in our kitchens. All of this is complimentary.

Our complimentary breakfast table includes:

- homemade yoghurt pots (natural yogurt, berry compote, granola individually served in a jar)
- homemade breakfast compote (prunes, apples, pears, oranges, spices, earl grey tea)
- natural greek yoghurt
- choice of breakfast sprinkles (toasted nuts, coconut and dried berries)
- homemade granola
- homemade muesli
- fresh fruit
- corn flakes/rice crispies (not homemade!)
- homemade granola bars
- homemade pastries
- Gallivant brown bread
- homemade banana bread
- homemade preserves (and honey - not homemade)
- freshly squeezed orange juice and local apple juice
- fresh milk

Complimentary hot items include:
- freshly brewed triple certified Matthew Algie coffee (as much as you'd like)
- Clarence Court eggs, cooked to your liking
- hot porridge with bananas and maple syrup

Complimentary Recovery Table includes:
- Stolichniya vodka
- tomato juice
- spices/ice/lemon
- alka seltza and borocca tablets

Miscellaneous item:
- todays newspaper (not homemade)

I am delighted that you found the staff serving in the evening to be professional and speedy. there were in facts member of the management team working in the bar in the evening.

Since January, there has been a substantial investment in our guest bedrooms, this investment program includes:

- New custom made beds
- Luxury, extra deep Hypnos mattresses (as used by the Lanesborough) - I need to check where else these are used, I think the Firmdale too
- Duck and goose down duvets and pillows
- 300 count linen
- Bespoke 'driftwood' chest of drawers
- 'Fresh air' recycling to all bedrooms and bathrooms
- New hot and cold water system to ensure limitless hot water and power showers in all bathrooms
Despite all these improvements, we have not increased our room rates and have actually added more items such as complimentary tea and cakes. This demonstrates that our focus is on guest comfort and satisfaction rather than revenue generation as you have incorrectly stated.

Kind regards

Mark

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were recently invited to attend a wedding ceremony at the Gallivant hotel which was scheduled for 2 pm. On arrival at 11.45 we were told by the "receptionist" that we would be unable to check in until 3 pm. As the Gallivant was supposedly booked out completely by the wedding party this came as a bit of a surprise. The manager was summoned and stated that previous night guests had checked out at 11 that morning so the rooms had not been serviced, also the bride and groom had been advised that some delays might occur !!! As we had two rooms booked we said we would take one room so at least we had somewhere to change for the wedding. Eventually two rooms were found for us but not those originally allocated to us.
With regard to the wedding breakfast as per previous reports there appeared insufficient staff available to satisfactorily serve 80 guests.
Next morning breakfast was supposed to be at 08.00, although this was not publicised as being different from normal as it was a bank holiday, but the buffet was eventually fully available at 08.20, by which time 8 guests had arrived and were waiting to eat. Only one member of staff was in evidence at this time, who was busy laying up the tables, and he appeared to lack the co-ordination to make the buffet ready in time and serve tea / coffee to people wanting a drink with breakfast. There were no serving utensils available for the hot food and one of the lids for the Bain Marie heated serving dishes had the handle missing which could have involved a "health & safety" issue if a guest had burnt themselves.
Whilst the room was adequate, the lack of a wardrobe and having to boil the kettle on the floor because of socket location, did not concur with the prices charged, but must say the comfort of the bed was superb. The management of this hotel need to review their procedures or be around to monitor what is going on particularly in the morning i.e. if breakfast is supposed to 08.00 it should be ready at that time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear JMW35

Many thanks for your review following your stay with us last Sunday as a guest at the wedding party.

I am sorry that you are disappointed that you could not access your rooms immediately on arrival at 11.45am. The hotel was booked exclusively for the wedding party on Sunday, however as it was not booked exclusively for the night prior, there were guests staying with us who wished to stay until the agreed check out time of 11am. This was explained by the hotel receptionist and I was then 'Summoned' to explain this (a polite request to speak with me would have resulted in the same helpful and prompt response). I did explain that the bride and groom were aware that all rooms would not be ready immediately but I did not say there would be a delay. A delay would mean the rooms would be ready after 3pm and as 2 rooms were made available for you to check into 10 minutes (11.55am) after you spoke with me, there certainly was no delay. the 2 rooms made available were not the original rooms allocated but were in the same category of room reserved. I believe my team did an amazing job to have a room for you before midday.

Regarding your reference to a previous review and the staffing at this wedding, I must make a few points on this matter:
-The bride, groom and families were all delighted with the level of service received leading upto the wedding and on the wedding day.
-There were 8 members of staff serving on this day, this equates to a ratio of 1 staff member to 10 guests which is consistent with some of the best restaurants in the country.
-The wedding feast and speeches were complete within 2 hours of being seated. This was within the timeframe requested by the bride and groom.

Please accept my apologies for the late start of breakfast on Monday morning. It should have been available for 8am. I have noted this and am grateful for the feedback on both the timing and setup of the breakfast.

I am delighted that you found the comfort of our beds to be superb. I have also noted your comments regarding power sockets in the bedroom. We are addressing the issue of where to locate power sockets when we commence our bedroom refurb program at the end of this year.

As General Manager of The Gallivant, I regularly review procedures and how we operate. I work breakfast shifts every week (I was on duty from 8.30am on the Monday morning and assisted with breakfast service). I also value the guest feedback I receive and use this to ensure we are constantly striving to exceed our guests expectations.

Kind regards

Mark

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We spent two nights at this friendly relaxed hotel in April looking forward to walking with our dogs on Camber sands. We had a Studio room with its own entrance which worked very well. The beach is a few hundred yards away over the dunes and is dog friendly all year round with some summer restrictions. Our room was very spacious and simply stylish with an extremely comfortable bed with smart crisp linen. The bathroom while not large was functional with good toiletries and we appreciated the sofa and large TV/DVD player. Our dogs were comfortable on two large dog beds!
The food in the restaurant was delicious and the service was attentive. The quality of the breakfast was excellent too and we appreciated little touches such as being able to make your own toast and the home made banana bread.
Some reviewers have commented on the busy road but we were not disturbed at all and could hear no traffic noise at any time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple