“Worth £170?!?”

The Gallivant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Camber
“Worth £170?!?”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Looking at the website we were so excited for our once a year night away.... When we arrived my heart sank! The outside looks like an American motel. We were showed our room and when the guy showing us around left I cried! It was dated, battered and old fashioned looking. Nothing like the website suggests and for paying £170 I felt like I had been taken for a ride

The staff were good, they moved us room wise to a much smaller room but only £10 cheaper. The carpet was still stained the walls were all marked, the bathroom was basic. Such a shame!

2 Thank Lucy M
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Lucy M

Many thanks for your recent view and I am sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay.

The Gallivant was previously a motel and the building does retain that look which we feel blends in with the location perfectly. A number of our bedrooms are scheduled for a total refurb from October, however, in January, we purchased brand new beds, Hypnos mattresses and 300 thread count linen for all our bedrooms. Although the bathrooms may appear basic, they do have toiletries by Noble Isle which is now a highly sought after brand.

I am delighted that we managed to change your room and that you found the staff to be good.

I have noted your comment regarding the cost of the room and am currently reviewing the hotel pricing structure and despite a planned refurbishment, it is likely that there will be reductions on the room tariff.

I do hope you will consider returning and if you would like further details of the bedroom upgrade to ensure a return visit was t a new room, please do feel free to contact me directly.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Hamble,United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was lucky enough to have won the stay at the Gallivant it in their Facebook page competition. With the stresses of my husband's own business, two children, one full time employment and studying at the same time and just life in general, this was an exciting opportunity to come away for a break from it all. So we took it without hesitation and made leisurely way to East Sussex. Upon arrival, we had a little wait whilst the receptionist tried to find our reservation as there seemed to have been some confusion, perhaps because the hotel was preparing for a wedding the following day. The beautiful beach across the road is echoed in the coastal feel of the hotel. The relaxed atmosphere extends through out the lounge and the dinning area. The addition of traditional games, vintage catalogues and books are all nice touches. As is the complimentary afternoon tea of hot beverages and freshly baked cakes. We stayed in the smallest room which was cosy and had a comfortable bed. The shower was powerful and the toiletries just gorgeous. We booked dinner at the restaurant and after initial confusion about our reservation and hotel room number (Mr & Mrs Clark?) we were seated and had a wonderful meal of locally sourced ingredients, in fact the beef rump was one of the best I have ever had! My husband was equally complimentary of his dessert. The menu is simple but solid and well executed and really worth trying. We sent our compliments to the chef and heard several other people do the same on the night. My only small niggle would be (and only if you are being particularly picky) that the restaurant is not consistent in its presentation as the same dishes looked differently on three different plates that night, but that is a small detail. The front of the house staff were very attentive as was the night receptionist. Breakfast was equally good, again showcasing local produce, The continental selection of granola, little kilner jars with yoghurt and berries, banana bread and plenty more was laid out beautifully on the trestle table. Our full Gallivant breakfast was delicious and set us up for the morning of exploring Rye and the area. We left totally relaxed and reconnected. If you are looking for a romantic break near an empty beach outside the peak season, this is the place to come to gallivanting :-)

Room Tip: Gallivanting...hop away from stunning beach.
1 Thank Ania A
Dear Ania A

Many thanks for your review and for entering our weekly competition.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with and do hope you will return.

I have noted your comments regarding inconsistencies with food presentation and discussed this with my chef. It is essential that every plate of food looks exactly the same all the time.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a blissful and unexpected visit to the Gallivant this week, this sneaky chic bolthole nestled by Camber Sands was made all the more special when we discovered we'd booked over a guest chef period with Tom Aikens at the helm in the kitchen.

Their already impressive menu created by head chef Ben became a colab between the two, an amazing crab snow, trio of Lamb and accompanying wines made this a suprise gastro visit. This combined with a retreat from the madding sounds of London to the bliss of a calm bed and sea air was just magic. Love this place!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely, ours was tucked to the left, a mere trott from the restaurant.
2 Thank tamsin s
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear tamsin s

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and I am delighted that you joined us for our evening with Tom Aikens.

Ben and Tom created an amazing menu and there will be many more evenings like this in the future.

Looking forward to seeing you back at The Gallivant.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay here on a working trip
We were all welcomed with a huge smile and escorted to our rooms
A comfortable bed meant I slept like a baby
Dinner was incredible
Breakfast was fabulous
The staff a dream
Can't wait to go back and spend a long weekend
Very soon I hope

• Stayed June 2014
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Doubleo03

WOW!!!!!!!

5 out of 5 all the way, thank you so much. Who says staying in hotels when working away is boring and repetitive?

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I would absolutely recommend this for a short beach break - it's a lovely, self contained hotel with a great atmosphere and a location (just across the road from a beautiful, long, clean and peaceful beach) that is second to none. We will be booking in again so that we can explore Rye properly next time.

We arrived late after work and booked in for dinner and the romantic Friday deal.

As a tip, I would recommend booking dinner late if you're a couple, as the restaurant had lots of young children around earlier in the evening (to be expected for a hotel right on the beach) which was fun but not so romantic! Overall the restaurant had lovely food, great decor, friendly service and tasty beer.

Our room was extremely comfortable and pretty. Powerful shower, cozy dressing gown and beautiful soft bed. Even a selection of DVDs to borrow as a treat. We were in room 5, which was a small room and overlooked a small private garden, just lovely!

Very accommodating staff - we had a small issue with some shower noise in the morning but they did everything possible to ensure it didn't impact our stay which was massively appreciated appreciated.

Dear darkbluemood

Many thanks for your fantastic review and more importantly for taking the time to discuss your stay with me in person, therefore ensuring you left the Gallivant with smiles on your faces.

Your comment regarding the dining times of children has been noted and we are introducing stricter guidelines for childrens dining times.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sarratt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Take two weeks of early summer rain, drop a magical sunny weekend in the middle, bring 160 lifelong friends together for a stylist's gay wedding then book every room at The Gallivant and you get the recipe for one of the most romantic and stylish weekends I'm likely to remember.
My wife and I spent fri-mon at The Gallivant and witnessed the whole build-up, the event itself and the waves goodbye and not at one moment did we feel anything other than impressed with this little beach-side Hotel in Camber, East Sussex.
Only an hour from London down the M20 and 3 miles from picturesque and historic Rye, The Gallivant is 20 rooms on one level, a good restaurant/bar and space for a marquee big enough to seat 160 guests. Decor is lime-washed "Hamptons" throughout. The basic rooms which make up most of the accommodation are quite small but there are three (?) more which are a little more lavish. Don't expect 5* excesses (no wardrobes or fridges in the rooms and no pool or spa) but do enjoy good food from an energetic and creative kitchen in a welcoming environment. And if you get the munchies at 4am there is an "Honesty larder" stocked with choccies, cokes and drinks (under the watchful eye of a camera we noted!).
Licensed to hold weddings, they cleared the bar area for the ceremony and then we all trooped the 200 yards to the dunes for cocktails and nibbles before returning for the wedding feast.
Gallivant didn't drop a stitch at any time and the staff were friendly and helpful. Wedding rate was £120/night so its upscale price-wise but like the event itself it sets itself apart by being achingly stylish and just a little bit, well, special.

Room Tip: Room one has its own little terrace.
Dear John G

Thank you so much for your amazing review following your stay for a wedding.

It certainly was a weekend to remember and I along with my whole team were delighted to be part of such a special day. From an arrival dinner on Friday, followed by us catering for a party at a friend of the couples house on Saturday and followed by the big day itself on Sunday (and into the early hours of the Monday morning), it was one of the most unique and enjoyable weekends I have experienced in some time.

We are all flattered by your very kind words and look forward to welcoming you back in the future (I hear there is talk of a reunion for the 1st wedding anniversary).

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Having first stayed at The Gallivant almost 3 years ago we couldn't wait to come back. I was a little concerned about the description of the 'Small Room' but it was more than adequate. The room was very cosy, comfortable bed, beautiful decor, enough space to store our things for a 1 night stay, good sized bathroom, lovely toiletries. We really liked the addition of a mini afternoon tea after check-in. It's in a perfect location for accessing the beach and we were also able to walk into the quaint village of Rye along a safe country path.

We dined from the A La Carte dinner menu, while the food we ordered was delicious and beautiflly presented, a number of items on the menu were not available. This may have been because the majority of the other guests that night were part of a wedding party on a set menu but we payed full price for our meal and would like to have had a choice on the night (only 2 starters were available prawn cocktail or the sea-food platter, thankfully we both like seafood!).

Breakfast the next morning was also a little disappointing. We helped ourselves to the buffet, the wedding party had arrived for breakfast before us so some items were not available on the table nor topped up while we were there. We were not given a menu with the hot options, or told about the complimentary hot options, I downloaded the menu on my smartphone as it was difficult to attract a waiter's attention.

Overall we had a great stay and will definitely come back. Service was excellent, top quality food and lovely room. However, please do consider other guests when you are catering for large groups such as this, as we'd like to have the full Gallivant experience too!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LouOH
Dear LouOH

Many thanks for posting your review. Although you did enjoy your return visit, I am sorry that your most recent stay had a few disappointments.

I am unsure when you last stayed, but I can assure you that there has not been (and never will be) such an unacceptable shortage of menu items again.

We have also recently upgraded our breakfast table which now has an amazing selection of homemade produce including museli, granola, banana bread, yoghurt pots and the most amazing homemade compote. these are topped up through out the morning and the table will be full of this delicious produce regardless of the time you come for breakfast.

It is never our intention for guests to feel intimidated or of less importance to larger parties and I am sorry that it appeared that a wedding party had all of our attention.

I look forward to welcoming you back for what I am sure will be the full "Gallivant experience"

Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camber
The Mermaid Inn
Rye Lodge Hotel
#5 of 9 in Rye
Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
River Haven Hotel

Been to The Gallivant? Share your experiences!