The Gallivant
US$273
Hotwire.com
US$189
  • Breakfast included
The Hope Anchor Hotel(Rye)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
US$337
US$280
Travelocity
US$128
Toprooms.com
The Regent Motel & Bar(Rye)(Great Value!)
US$119
Orbitz.com
The Lodge at Winchelsea(Winchelsea)(Great Value!)
US$63
Travelocity
The Ship Hotel(New Romney)
US$119
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
1,476 results
All reviewsrestaurant with roomsdeck roomcamber sandsbeach hutsand dunesenglish wineslambdungenessopposite the beachwine listsmall roomboutique hotellocal producetea and cakesouth coastgranolacomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here in early June 2014. The room was nice, we were staying in a twin (room number 6) and was spacious, and modern. The location is good, the beach is just over the top of the sand dune (quite steep!!) but less than 3mins walk.

The hotel is nice, but i feel the Bistro let it down... The dinner can be ordered from the fixed menu or the a la carte menu. Just for the pleasure of ordering of the a la carte you must pay £15pp which is a bit steep. The fixed price menu has a very limited choice, and we had to send back one meal because it was like a big bowl of oil. This is why i didn't give it 5 stars.

My last comment would be the price. We payed £160 for our room (high season, i think) which is a little steep if you ask me! When i travel i can normally get a much more luxurious room for that price.

Room Tip: Some rooms face a brick wall... i know for certain that room1,3,5 do
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HELIBREW
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Heli B

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at The Gallivant in June.

I am sorry that you felt the restaurant was a disappointment. I believe you stayed on one of our offers which included dinner from our fixed price menu. This is a menu with a choice from 2 starters, mains and desserts. The £15 upgrade to the A La Carte is so as the package booked is such a saving. Our regular dinner inclusive package (A La Carte dinner) would start from £210 per night(£230 for your room), so even with the supplements there is a saving of £40 from our advertised room tariff. I am unsure of the dishes ordered on the night but I will certainly pass on your comments regarding excess oil to my head chef.

A stated in a previous response, I am reviewing the hotel rates for 2014/15 to ensure we are meeting our guests expectations.

I noticed your tips at the end of review and I am sorry but I must make a correction here. Rooms 1 and 3 are our deck rooms and do not face a brick wall. They have a private deck fully enclosed with wooden fencing and no sight of a brick wall. Room 5 looks out onto the rear of the property with a grass lawn and a wall approximately 20 feet from the window.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Looking at the website we were so excited for our once a year night away.... When we arrived my heart sank! The outside looks like an American motel. We were showed our room and when the guy showing us around left I cried! It was dated, battered and old fashioned looking. Nothing like the website suggests and for paying £170 I felt like I had been taken for a ride

The staff were good, they moved us room wise to a much smaller room but only £10 cheaper. The carpet was still stained the walls were all marked, the bathroom was basic. Such a shame!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Lucy M

Dear Lucy M

Many thanks for your recent view and I am sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay.

The Gallivant was previously a motel and the building does retain that look which we feel blends in with the location perfectly. A number of our bedrooms are scheduled for a total refurb from October, however, in January, we purchased brand new beds, Hypnos mattresses and 300 thread count linen for all our bedrooms. Although the bathrooms may appear basic, they do have toiletries by Noble Isle which is now a highly sought after brand.

I am delighted that we managed to change your room and that you found the staff to be good.

I have noted your comment regarding the cost of the room and am currently reviewing the hotel pricing structure and despite a planned refurbishment, it is likely that there will be reductions on the room tariff.

I do hope you will consider returning and if you would like further details of the bedroom upgrade to ensure a return visit was t a new room, please do feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was lucky enough to have won the stay at the Gallivant it in their Facebook page competition. With the stresses of my husband's own business, two children, one full time employment and studying at the same time and just life in general, this was an exciting opportunity to come away for a break from it all. So we took it without hesitation and made leisurely way to East Sussex. Upon arrival, we had a little wait whilst the receptionist tried to find our reservation as there seemed to have been some confusion, perhaps because the hotel was preparing for a wedding the following day. The beautiful beach across the road is echoed in the coastal feel of the hotel. The relaxed atmosphere extends through out the lounge and the dinning area. The addition of traditional games, vintage catalogues and books are all nice touches. As is the complimentary afternoon tea of hot beverages and freshly baked cakes. We stayed in the smallest room which was cosy and had a comfortable bed. The shower was powerful and the toiletries just gorgeous. We booked dinner at the restaurant and after initial confusion about our reservation and hotel room number (Mr & Mrs Clark?) we were seated and had a wonderful meal of locally sourced ingredients, in fact the beef rump was one of the best I have ever had! My husband was equally complimentary of his dessert. The menu is simple but solid and well executed and really worth trying. We sent our compliments to the chef and heard several other people do the same on the night. My only small niggle would be (and only if you are being particularly picky) that the restaurant is not consistent in its presentation as the same dishes looked differently on three different plates that night, but that is a small detail. The front of the house staff were very attentive as was the night receptionist. Breakfast was equally good, again showcasing local produce, The continental selection of granola, little kilner jars with yoghurt and berries, banana bread and plenty more was laid out beautifully on the trestle table. Our full Gallivant breakfast was delicious and set us up for the morning of exploring Rye and the area. We left totally relaxed and reconnected. If you are looking for a romantic break near an empty beach outside the peak season, this is the place to come to gallivanting :-)

Room Tip: Gallivanting...hop away from stunning beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ania A

Dear Ania A

Many thanks for your review and for entering our weekly competition.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with and do hope you will return.

I have noted your comments regarding inconsistencies with food presentation and discussed this with my chef. It is essential that every plate of food looks exactly the same all the time.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a blissful and unexpected visit to the Gallivant this week, this sneaky chic bolthole nestled by Camber Sands was made all the more special when we discovered we'd booked over a guest chef period with Tom Aikens at the helm in the kitchen.

Their already impressive menu created by head chef Ben became a colab between the two, an amazing crab snow, trio of Lamb and accompanying wines made this a suprise gastro visit. This combined with a retreat from the madding sounds of London to the bliss of a calm bed and sea air was just magic. Love this place!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely, ours was tucked to the left, a mere trott from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tamsin s
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear tamsin s

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and I am delighted that you joined us for our evening with Tom Aikens.

Ben and Tom created an amazing menu and there will be many more evenings like this in the future.

Looking forward to seeing you back at The Gallivant.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I was lucky enough to stay here on a working trip
We were all welcomed with a huge smile and escorted to our rooms
A comfortable bed meant I slept like a baby
Dinner was incredible
Breakfast was fabulous
The staff a dream
Can't wait to go back and spend a long weekend
Very soon I hope

• Stayed: June 2014
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Doubleo03

WOW!!!!!!!

5 out of 5 all the way, thank you so much. Who says staying in hotels when working away is boring and repetitive?

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.