“Lovely stay by the sea”
Review of The Gallivant

The Gallivant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Camber
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a lovely 2 night stay here - staff lovely and welcoming, shown to a lovely, clean room which was light and airy. Took advantage of the afternoon tea, which was a very nice touch, then had dinner in the restaurant later - everything very tasty, nice, varied a la carte menu, good wine list. Breakfast the next morning was also excellent - lots of choice, and we had some lovely bacon and egg sandwiches that set us up for the day. The hotel is literally opposite the beach, which is absolutely heavenly. We went to Rye for lunch - only 10 mins drive away, v pretty and worth a visit. The stay was great, and the location of the hotel is fab too - would stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank floraposteLondon
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear floraposteLondon

Many thanks for your amazing review and in particular for your wonderful comments regarding our breakfast which we have focussed enhancing recently.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Gallivant

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I write this on our last night of a 3-day trip, booked last minute through Pets Pyjamas (a highly recommended website to book trips with your dog), and we couldn't be more thrilled with our stay here. The hotel is beach-themed, with lovely light decor that feels like you're on a proper holiday instantly, and in a incredible location across the road from the most stunning beach I have ever seen in the UK. The room is very spacious, with a huge, ultra-comfy bed, seating area, lovely bathroom, and great extras like bathrobes and a decked seating area outside the room. As we are here with our puppy we are delighted to be in a room with its own front door, so we don't have to walk through the hotel with him, and we even have a beautiful comfortable dog bed in here just for him! The food in the restaurant is superb, with lovely fresh homemade breakfast included. The only thing we could possible grumble about is that the WiFi hasn't been working which has been a little inconvenient, but reception have allowed us access to their office network now, which has solved the problem, and the room is not cheap, although I personally think it's worth it for the fantastic experience we're having here. One more thing to add...if you want a holiday with your dog, the beach opposite is dog-friendly and absolutely amazing for dogs....,,miles and miles of stunning golden sand, and shallow enough that they can run, jump and swim without you having to worry for their safety. Cannot recommend highly enough overall, I don't want to leave!!!

Room Tip: Our bigger outdoor room has been absolutely perfect with a dog.

Dear Nikki L

Many thanks for your amazing review following your recent stay at The Gallivant.

I look forward to welcoming you all back in the future and bear in mind that from October 1st, dogs are permitted on all of the beach, so even more space for your dog to run, jump and swim.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We also had the midweek dinner date special offer and I must say that our experience was totally positive - although we couldn't get away from work as early as hoped, and afternoon tea had finished, the very nice young man on reception organised a tray for me, the staff were uniformly well informed, helpful, efficient, but in a friendly low key manner.

We had a walk on the exceptionally beautiful beach before dinner, which we ended up having from the fixed price menu, but we could have upgraded each course individually for £2.50 per starter/pudding, and £5 main course. The food was good - including the mussels in cider.

Our room was fine, comfy mattress, crisp cotton bedding, nice bathroom with yummy freebies. Good coffee in the room - sadly very rare in UK hotels.

Another invigorating beach walk before breakfast, which was extremely good, served with laid-back style.

We went back to work on Friday morning feeling thoroughly looked after and refreshed. We will be back.

Dear 953DianeH

Many thanks for your fantastic review and I am delighted that you found your midweek stay to be the perfect de-stresser.

We have decided to add value to the Midweek Dinner Date package and dinner from our A La Carte menu is now included as standard.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We booked for the "mid-week date" at £140 to include afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast - something which sounded great. When I phoned to make the booking I was asked if I would like to upgrade at a supplement of £10 to a room with decking so I paid the £150. On arrival I was surprised to find that the room was not upgraded. The helpful girl on reception refunded the £10.

We discovered that afternoon tea is available for all guests so there was nothing special about that part of the offer. Before dinner we had drinks in the bar - gin and tonic. When we received the bill in the morning we found that the waiter had given us Bombay Sapphire gin. As that is usually the most expensive gin I felt we should have been asked. Dinner was from the fixed price menu. The main course had only two choices - either fish or a vegetarian risotto - neither of which appealed so we went for the a La Carte option (£5 supplement). When it came to breakfast it was only the continental version on this offer (a surprise as on our previous visit - also on an offer - we could have whatever we wanted).

The main saving grace for the hotel was that the bed was exceptionally comfortable and the receptionist in the morning was very helpful and reduced the overall bill to compensate for some of the disappointments.

1  Thank 558JohnP

Dear 558JohnP

Many thanks for your repeat custom and review following your most recent stay at The Gallivant.

I am sorry to hear that you felt your stay was not as enjoyable as your previous visit and for the error which resulted in you not getting the room expected or reserved.

The package which was booked did clearly state that dinner included was from our fixed price menu. Even with the supplement paid, the package booked represents a discount of over £50 from our advertised rates. Despite this offering great value, we have decided that all future packages sold will have our A La Carte menu included as standard.

Since your last visit, we have significantly upgraded our breakfast table with a range of homemade produce including granola, museli, banana bread and pastries available. In addition, eggs any style and served on toast are in the room rates. As noted in your review, tea and cakes are served complimentary for all hotel residents at 4pm daily.

I do hope my response might encourage you to return to The Gallivant and should you decide to do so, please contact me directly to make a reservation.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We arrived early room not ready so took our dog for walk. Once we checked in room like a sauna as radiator was on. Was turned off by reception but 2 hours later still hot so once again they switched off from elsewhere and had windows/doors left open whilst we were treated to a complimentary drink. Very basic rustic rooms but personally I like to have somewhere to hang my things no just on a peg on wall. Mirrors not brilliant for ladies light wise. Lack of sockets fortunately I took extension cable! Went for dinner was disappointed with menu choices eventually chose the mussels bad mistake the ones on top were delicious but then had 7 underneath that were not open. Unfortunately this turned my stomach and put me off rest of meal. Had BBQ chicken with salad very much over cooked. All in all our food was quite a disaster. We had booked for 2 nights but are checking out today as cannot face coping with any more time here.

2  Thank Xxyyzzww
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Xxyyzzww

Many thanks for your review following your short visit to The Gallivant.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and I too am disappointed that there is no reference to the lengthy conversation we had prior to your departure.

The heating was turned on at the request of the previous occupant in your room and admittedly this should have been turned off. I do believe my team did all they could to reduce the temperature in your room immediately after it was brought to their attention.

When you arrived, for dinner it was apparent that you were not satisfied with the menu included in your rate. Again, there is no mention that without prompt, you were offered the opportunity to order from our full A la Carte menu.

I would disagree with the number of mussels served in closed shells but would certainly agree that you should not have had any closed mussels served. There was no further mention of your dissatisfaction with your meal when we spoke so I am surprised to the reference of the meal being a 'disaster'.

It is such a shame that my teams efforts to make your stay an enjoyable one have not been mentioned and that there is no reference to our conversation. I am happy knowing that you left after a positive conversation and thanked me in person for the solutions offered.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had looked at the website several times and finally managed to get there. The receptionist was lovely, as were all staff. The bedroom was comfortable but the bathroom in room 18 is very tired. The cost is the main grumble, the £230 per night we knew about but £10 extra for a full English breakfast! Continental breakfast was fine, though I prefer a selection of fresh fruit to be prepared rather than peel your own orange or apple! The prune and apricot compôte was nice though. Our evening meal was mainly good, puddings delicious. There were several errors on the bills, but corrected on being pointed out. So check carefully before signing...
So a pleasant stay, but not such a treat as we expected.

Room Tip: Room 18 is a 'biggest room' with a pleasant green outlook from the rear window is on the gro...
1  Thank Judith N
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Judith N

Many thanks for your recent review and I am delighted that you found the staff to be lovely.

We are planning a refurbishment of bedrooms to commence from the beginning of October with 2 bedrooms being completed at a time.

We are immensely proud our breakfast table and have received some amazing feedback regarding this over the past months. This table is full of homemade produce and the fruit basket is not intended to replace a fruit salad but for our guests to eat a whole piece of fruit.

Please accept my apologies for the errors on your dinner bill.

I do hope you will consider returning to The Gallivant and should you wish to do so, please feel free to contact me directly so I can ensure you are allocated one of our newer bedrooms.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent one night at The Galivant in the last week and although there were plenty of positives, our experience was a little marred by a couple of small but slightly irritating issues.
We arrived shortly before 4pm to quite noisy building work in the reception area and then it seemed to take quite a while before we were eventually shown to our room. The room itself was lovely with a very comfortable bed, great linen, relaxing colour schemes and a general good feel.
We had opted to have dinner as part of our package and sevice throughout the evening was a little on the chaotic side. We had a poor starter but upon pointing this out were immediately offered alternative choices from the a la carte menu. The main course and deserts were really nice but the overall level of people who were in some way dissatisfied that evening did somehow create a slight edge to the evening. Although we did bother to quibble at the time, the prices charged for drinks were higher than those on the menu. By around 20%. So not a big deal perhaps as it was only on two post-dinner drinks but still worth keeping an eye on. Breakfast was good, the staff were lovely and overall this is a fine little hotel which with just a little more attention to detail and better service in the dining room could be quite special.

1  Thank Evelyn W

Dear Evelyn W

Many thanks for your recent review and I am sorry that your visit was marred by some small but irritating issues.

I totally agree with the heading of your review about keeping an eye on the detail. Training of the restaurant staff is ongoing and I am confident that should you return, you would see a noticeable improvement in the level of service.

It is my intention to work on the detail and as you very kindly mentioned 'to make it quite special'.

Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camber
The Mermaid Inn
River Haven Hotel
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lydd

Been to The Gallivant? Share your experiences!