“Highly recommend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Camber
Reigate, England, United Kingdom
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We spent two wonderful days at the Gallivant. The location is great as you can take an early morning walk before breakfast on the beautiful camber sands and return later in the day for a picnic in the dunes. The historic town of Rye is on your door step too.

Mark and his staff are super friendly and welcoming. Sleeping away from home can be unsettling but here the beds are very comfortable, that and the fresh air guarantees a good night's sleep.

If you love your food you'll really enjoy the restaurant. The menu choice is interesting and the food and service is of a very high quality.

We will definitely be back and actively encouraging our friends to check it out.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear Nicola M

It was a pleasure to meet you on your recent visit and many thanks for your fantastic review and recommendations to friends and family.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay with my partner and 1 year old son. What a wonderful place! Beautifully decorated in beach chic, such a relaxing laid back hotel. We stayed in one of the biggest rooms (room 20) which is located at the end of the car park near the road, this wasn't a problem, we couldn't hear any noise for the road or car park. The room was decorated simply but beautifully, with lots of space which was great for my son who loves to crawl everywhere. The room and bathroom were lovely and clean. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room, if you want fresh milk these can be found in the larder (in a thermos in the fridge). There is no mini bar or snacks in the room, these are housed in larder behind reception which is run on an honesty policy, if you take something then you fill out a card and hand it to reception when you check out and these will be added to your bill. We had dinner pre booked in the restaurant and it was just so yummy. We had the plaice and chicken liver to start, followed by the goats cheese salad and lamb and for desert the Strawberries and Carrot cake, the food was delicious and the portions sizes perfect. Our son had the shepherds pie followed by the chocolate brownie from the children's menu, the portion was perfect for a child (large for our 1 year old) and must have been good because he pretty much demolished all of it, but daddy made him share his pudding. I have read in previous reviews about the pricing of the children's meals, all I can say is I was happy to pay the price for the food as it was beautiful and obviously made from quality ingredients. The restaurant uses locally sourced ingredients and the food tastes and looks amazing. The location of the hotel is a major plus, it is directly across the road from the sand dunes which are simply breathtaking. I would highly recommend a stay at the hotel from the location, to the decor, to the food and the staff it ticks all the boxes for me.Thank you Gallivant!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo P
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Jo P

Many thanks for your fantastic review and I am delighted that you, your husband and son enjoyed your visit to The Gallivant.

The larder which you referred is now even more appealing with some truly delicious sweets and marshmallows recently added.

Your comments regarding the childrens menu are really appreciated. As you mention, this is prepared using the same quality and local produce used in our main menuand it is re-assuring to know that it is appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you and the family back in the future.

London
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed as a party of 4 for 2 nights under the 'beachcomber's escape' package, which we all unanimously felt represented very good value for money. Our first impressions from the exterior were that The Gallivant was more 'motel' than 'hotel', but once inside, the tasteful decor and friendly, professional staff soon allayed any fears. Our rooms were extremely clean, comfortable and modern. The food on the first night was 'ok': service was quite slow and our 'salt marsh lamb kebabs' contained un-advertised offal (kidneys?) which drew complaints from other diners. But the lunch and dinner on the second night was absolutely delicious and left a lovely closing note to our stay. Breakfast is a reasonable selection but cooked options can be had as a supplement, which were very nice. If I was to be picky, their coffee is not really a strong point which I suppose only matters if you really like a decent cup of coffee in the morning! The complimentary afternoon tea is a really nice thought and the cakes were extremely moist and lovely. The beach itself is just across the road and was absolutely magnificent. Beautiful soft sand, absolutely huge and surrounded by sand dunes. We went into Rye on a rainy morning and spent several hours walking about admiring the cobbled streets, Tudor houses and quirky antique shops. In summary then, The Gallivant is a very pleasant place to stay for a couple of nights particularly at the price point in the offer we visited under and the only reason I didn't give the full 5 stars was because I felt there were a few small areas where improvements could be made (i.e faster service at dinner, more accurate descriptions of the meals, perhaps better sound proofing of the rooms themselves).

Room Tip: Maybe avoid room 1 which is right near the 'honesty bar' and opposite the main entrance to t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank indy88London
Dear indy88London

Many thanks for choosing to stay at The Gallivant and for your feedback following your visit.

I am delighted to read that you had a very pleasant stay. Your feedback is very constructive and I can happily report that following this review, the Lamb dish which contained the kidneys was removed from our menu. I have also noted your comment regarding service being a little slow. With the introduction of a new menu and further training of our team, the service at The Gallivant is now commented on as being friendly, efficient and professional.

Approximately 1 year ago and following feedback from guests, we changed our coffee supplier. After various meetings, tastings and discussions, we decided on the Matthew Algie coffee. Since this review, I have been in contact with our supplier and a representative was sent to us without delay. The team received training on how to prepare and serve amazing coffee and I do hope you can return and sample.

The package on which you stayed is still available, however it has been amended to offer increased value. In addition to the tea and cakes (of which we are immensely proud and delighted that you found them to be lovely), the dinner included is now from our full A La Carte menu.

I do hope you get the opportunity to return and perhaps award the 5 star rating.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Ever since I checked out this place as a potential wedding venue last year, I've wanted to go and stay. Going to an intimate, stylish boutique hotel with good food really appealed to me. And I am glad I went. The service was very good and everything about this place was cute from the rooms decor to the little complementary afternoon tea they put on in the afternoon. It was also nice to cross the road and go for walks on the beach. However, I wouldn't go again.

The rooms were overpriced for their size and you could hear people walking by in the hallway so it was difficult to relax completely. If you wanted anything extra, the prices were extortionate even for a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vicky B
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Vicky B

Many thanks for posting a review following your visit to The Gallivant.

I am delighted that you found the room décor to be cute and were impressed by the complimentary tea and cakes, however, I am disappointed by the "Overpriced and Overrated" heading.

Despite a considerable investment in The Gallivant over the past 12 months with an upgrade of our restaurant and reception public areas, the room rates have not increased in 2 years. It is our wish to offer a comfortable room where you can have an amazing sleep after enjoying a delicious meal. Rather than increase our rates, we have also included tea and cakes for all residents on a complimentary basis (as already stated in your review). I should also mention that as of 1st October our room rates will be reducing and rooms will be available from £95 (a reduction of £20 on our current lowest rate).

We like to think that are prices are competitive with our local competitors. A G&T or most spirits with mixer are available at £5. We also offer an extensive selection of wines by the glass starting from £3.95.

It is a shame that despite you describing the hotel as "cute", praising the service and also liking the complimentary tea and cakes, you still thought of us as overrated and overpriced. I would welcome any further feedback on this so I can compare the prices to ensure we are always offering value.

General manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Tiny rooms, noisy, expensive. I was excited to try this hotel due to the reviews that had been left, but it really disappointed me. The rooms were so small, for £140 a night I'd really expect more space. You could hear most people slamming doors and kids screaming. The dinner was average (small portions, chewy beef and cold desserts) it's safe to say we won't be going back. I felt robbed for the money we have paid and what was delivered.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bethanyrc
snagger, General Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear bethanyrc

Many thanks for your review and I am sorry to hear that you feel robbed.

The rate of £140 was for one of our special packages which also includes dinner (not mentioned as included in your review). This rate is also for one of our "Small" double rooms. These have been deliberately named "small" to ensure we are managing our guests expectations.

We have a strict policy regarding the behaviour of children in our restaurant and do not tolerate children running around our restaurant or hotel. I don't recall receiving any feedback or complaints regarding this and would have happily discussed this in person after the receptionists enquired as to how you enjoyed your stay.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We really liked this hotel and felt that in general it lived up to the image created by the web site. It's a true boutique hotel with an American feel to the rooms and décor. We had one of their larger rooms which overlooked the car park. Note, although it says its on the sea road, the walk to the beach is a fair distance and there are no sea views, with high dunes between the hotel and the sea.

Without a doubt the best thing about the hotel is the restaurant. It is seriously good with very fresh seafood cooked in creative ways. We also liked that you could get good quality wines in 50cl carafes.

The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

So in conclusion we would really describe the Gallivant as a very good restaurant with decent rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff S
Dear Geoff S

Many thanks for your great review and it is wonderful to read that the look and feel we have strived to create has been recognised.

We currently have over 30 wines available by the glass or carafe and feel this gives our diners the opportunity to try something different or to have the perfect wine to accompany a meal without having to purchase a bottle.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Gallivant.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a last minute two nights here. The website sold it to us. It looked like somewhere we had been in Devon and we were delighted they had rooms available at the last minute.

So, we arrived on a very hot day at about 1.30pm. We'd decided not to have breakfast and enjoy lunch when we arrived. The website stated lunch until 3pm. The staff were delightful and friendly but told us the kitchen was closed. So we spent nearly £7 on three bags of crisps and a bowl of nuts from the 'larder' no bar snacks available.

We had a standard room and the bed was lovely but other than that the rest was just driftwood styled. Really not worth £150 per night more like £90 we thought. Definitely more of a travel lodge room. Maybe the bigger rooms are nicer but still the price is too high for a standard room.

Evening meal was nice but we kept being told things weren't available. My husband ordered brill and got Dover sole. We had looked forward to crab claws, the weren't available. We were laughing in the end about everything being 'off'!
Of course we understand this happens but with the hotel promoting itself as high endish, it just didn't quite do it.

Overall they have the quality of produce right, but expensive. Too many staff (but it was a Monday). It just felt like it was trying to be something it's not. And we left after one night, didn't stay the two. It just didn't feel like value. And I would say that should be at the heart of it.

On a side note, I would say it's great for the more immobile guest as there are ramps and it's all one level.

Possibly is positioning itself incorrectly and might benefit from simplifying it's offering but adding value. All businesses have to make money but get it right. Simple, affordable fresh fish platters would keep that great 'by the sea' feel. Coupled with the local lamb ideal.

Camber is a bit run down and I think it's great to have a something a bit higher quality in the area. But something just doesn't quite do it.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Victoria M
Dear Victoria M

Many thanks for your review following your stay at The Gallivant.

I am grateful that you decided to stay with us but am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.

We have invested substantial sums into our bedroom furniture and linen to ensure that all our guests have the best possible sleep. The driftwood furniture (including bed) is handmade to our requirements. the beds are completed with a hypnos mattress and 300 thread count linen. Luxury Noble Isle toiletries and fluffy towels and robes complete the room and all are far superior than anything that can be found in a Travelodge. Despite the fact that we feel we are offering a quality product at a competitive price, we have taken the unusual step and decided to reduce our room rates from October 1st with small double rooms available from £95 inclusive of breakfast from our breakfast table.

I understand the frustrations when trying to order and being advised that a dish is sold out or unavailable, please accept my apologies for this.

We are surrounded by some amazing produce with seafood from Dungeness and Rye and Lamb from the Romney Marshes, all of which we include on our menus. Although these are all sourced locally, the quality of these ingredients is reflected in the price we pay. Romney Marsh lamb is probably the finest in the country and can be found on menus in some of Londons finest restaurants. We do try to accommodate the wishes of all our guests and do feel that our meals are affordable. As we are not just a seasonal restaurant and are open all year round, it is our aim to offer a menu which will encourage diners to return to us throughout the year.

Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camber
The Mermaid Inn
Rye Lodge Hotel
#5 of 9 in Rye
Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
River Haven Hotel

Been to The Gallivant? Share your experiences!