“Has to be the Worst Experience Ever !”
Review of Coach and Horses Pub - CLOSED

Coach and Horses Pub
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Coach and Horses is a family run free house, serving homemade pub grub and a traditional Sunday carvery every week...a range of local real ales, ciders and largers as well as a comprehensive wine list. Dogs and children welcome (dogs on leads in the lounge area) We can also offer BnB, with 5 letting rooms, 3 of which are family rooms, all ensuite, with freeview and tea and coffee making facilities.
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Visited the Coach and Horses with a business colleague just before the floods in Winterbourne Abbas on Saturday July 8th. We weren't too hungry so we ordered a starter and a main course to share. We sat at our table and noticed that one of the owners was trying desperately to mop up a very bad leak in the ceiling, my colleague, who suffers the cold easily, asked the female owner whether the heating was on and was informed NO, but we have shut the door and in any case the pizza oven should warm you up! Both the starter and main came out together, when we asked why this had happened the waitress didnt apologise or offer to rectify, just blamed their till system. We asked for some plates as we were sharing. The waitress bought over 1 side plate so we had to ask for another. Anyway we tucked into the mushrooms with Blue Vinney sauce, the sauce was very powerful and you could't taste any mushroom. Then we ate the pizza (their speciality) it was suppossed to be thin and crispy, it was far from it, the topping was only over a small part in the middle of the soggy dough and was very dissappointing. No one came and asked whether our meals met our expectations or whether we were OK. When they decided to clear the plates we asked about cakes as they served 'High Tea'/ Cream Teas and were interested in having a cake, we were informed to take a look at their selection which was on display right at the other end of the pub. When we informed the waitress that we had already looked at that end of the pub and could see no cakes we were then informed they must have sold out then. As she left the table my colleague mentioned that the pizza was not very nice, she responded with a sorry whilst walking away from the table. No further conversation took place. We then had a brief and polite conversation with a very pleasant young bar man who gave some insight into the pizzas and desserts. We decided to order a cream tea, why we bothered I don't know. It had to be the worst cream tea I have ever had in my life. Scones were more like sponges and margarine was served rather than butter. The tea was tasteless. You would have thought that nothing more could go wrong, however, the female owner came over with the bill, and said 'sorry the pizza was [--]!' I thought, have I heard that correctly? We hadnt described her pizza in that manner, nor had we asked for the bill, she then went on to say to me that I should never speak to her staff like I had ever again. I was somewhat confused by this because apart from pointing out their error delivering the starter and main together I hadn't said anything else. I could not believe what this woman was saying, in quite an aggressive way to me, without establishing any facts beforehand. I pointed out that actually it was my colleague who had passed comment on the pizza and he certainly didnt describe it using the same language as her. She was nt interested in what I had to say and slammed the bill down on the table saying it's all free, I haven't charged you for anything and dont ever speak to me staff like that again. Well I was dumbfounded and speechless. I can only assume things aren't going too well since they took over recently. I have to say the refurb does lack warmth and creativity, it is rather stark, clinical and lacking in any atmosphere. Avoid if you can. I am a regular visitor to pubs and restaurants, being a contractor working away from home frequently, so I do have plenty of experience dining out, I have never though been treated in this way by anyone ever!

11  Thank Ricardo H

Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed a night for bed and breakfast at this recently refurbished hotel/restaurant/pub. Lovely west country atmosphere, comfortable beds, good decor, great breakfast and ultimately fantastic value for money. perfect place to drop in if you are passing by or looking to explore the local area

1  Thank pzeun
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We were holidaying in the area and came across this pub, so went in! There wasn't much seating other than large sofas or window benches in the bar area, it seemed to be much more suited to large groups than couples. We wanted to eat anyway, so collected menus and drinks from the bar and went into the restaurant area. Inspection of the main menu made us realise options may be limited, especially for myself - I am a vegetarian with an allergy to goats cheese, and alas, every vegetarian dish listed featured (you guessed it!) Goats Cheese! Panic didn't set in just yet though, as the menu stated they had an extensive specials board and also did pizzas, which were to be found listed on another separate board. I sent my boyfriend on a little recon mission to read the specials board, and he came back reporting the extensive choice was just one meat dish. Oh well, at least we could still have pizza, we thought. Off went Boyfriend again to find the 'pizza board'. This time, he was told there was no such thing - 'Don't get your hopes up, that's coming soon'. Now was the time to panic, so we collected our belongings and made a break back to the bar area, which was quite full, so we finished our drinks outside (and this June has not exactly been the nicest on record!). There is no doubt that the staff were friendly, and the building is nice, but the false advertising was very irritating. I can only hope the woodlouse seated next to me in the restaurant enjoyed his experience more than we did.

4  Thank Jessie H
Reviewed 24 June 2012

A welcome return to the village. Very friendly atmosphere and excellent refurbishment by new management. Great food and good wine menu.

1  Thank glenn j
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The Coach and Horses looks amazing so refreshing to walk into now.To be welcomed on our first visit was lovely,all the staff were really friendly and wonderful with the children,a real warm feeling.Looking forward to tasting the food,menu looks yummy...