“Pleasant stay at Totoco Ecolodge”
Review of Totoco Eco-Lodge

and 1 more site!
Totoco Eco-Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Balgue B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed for 6 nights at Totoco and do not regret it.
They have a nice lounge and restaurant area and a lovely infinity pool.
The meals were fine, given the remote location they even managed to have some variation of the menu, and the service very friendly.
They laundry service was amazing!
We liked our cabin that had solar powered electricity and a gas fired hot shower, good bed.
One time there was a problem with the power capacity of the cabin at night but that was dealt with the next day.
The manager took us on a tour over the property and the adjacent farming operation they also run, very interesting, and also we went with a guide on foot to see the petroglyphs.
Seeing them and hearing the explanations is always of interest.
For the rest we made pleasant car trips over the island.
The side road to Totoco leaves the main road at 11º29'25.2N and 085º31'12.5", there is a sign.
In our period the road up was rough, a car with good ground clearance is preferable, but improvement works are on the way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AbrahamPotappel

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed 3 night at Totoco (just my husband and I). I was pretty excited about staying at this property as we have stayed at Eco lodges in Nica before and felt this one was going to be amazing...not so much. When we arrived (after 12 hours of travel), we were greeted by Martijn...the manager. We were told to leave our bags and to go enjoy the last 5 minutes of the sunset on the deck and that after that, we would be checked in. 1.5 hours later.......he was gone and we were still waiting to be checked in. Finally, we asked the bartender what was going on (it was well after 8 pm by this time) and he said he would take us to our room. No tour of the property, no explanation of meal times, no explanation of ANYTHING. Dropped off in our room and left to figure it out. Dinner was okay, but noticed that they served the EXACT same meal on night one and night 3. Leftovers? Sleeping in our room was a nightmare. There is a small power generator of sorts that you can plug a fan in to as it gets pretty hot in Nica. At 2 am, this power strip starts making the most god awful beeping noise. NON STOP. This happened for 45 minutes and we couldn't fix it, so we slept night 1 with no fan. My hubby let the manager know in the morning and he said he would take care of it. Well, Martijn didn't take care of it. 2 more nights of the same thing....alarms going off in the middle of the night for long periods of time followed by sweaty stagnant air due to no airflow from the fan.
On the day of my birthday, we had the manager set up a horseback ride to see the petroglyphs and the coffee plantations. He told us that he would set it all up and let the guide know what tour we wanted to go on. The ride was nice, but that isn't where our guide took us at all. So, unfortunately, we didn't get to see what we paid for.
All in all, we were massively disappointed in our stay here. If I could request my money back, I would.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank holtphotog
Martijn_Priester, General Manager at Totoco Eco-Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Holtphotog, having just read your review I want to extend my sincere apologies for not having done enough to make your stay with us enjoyable. I can only assure you that steps have been taken to avoid in future the same incidents you had to suffer. After hearing about the problems with the energy system our maintenance team thought they had resolved the issue but clearly this wasn't the case. I wish we would have known that our repairs had not worked as we would have gladly moved you to another lodge. I encourage you to always communicate any issues you have to reception as it is only then that efforts can be made to resolve them. We have also spoken with the horse rental operator to help them improve their service and we are taking steps to ensure the changing evening menu always offers a new option for our guests during their entire stay. This was already our policy and as such you should not have seen the same option twice. Finally I can only promise you that we do not serve our guests 3 day-old food! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Nicaragua more. sincerely, Martijn

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I love Totoco. Just the view would be enough, but it's got great rooms, a lively bar and terrific food. Staff very helpful and friendly. It's a unique place to stay, and very environmentally aware which also helps the feel good factor.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank IguanaPhile
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We didn't read many reviews before we booked this place, but all of the ratings were high. Now that we have stayed here we thought we should give our two cents.
First off, the staff was very friendly and help full, and the bar/restaurant area was nice and chill.

The car ride in was a bumpy treat. One that we did not want to do many times! Because of this we felt very isolated. We like to go to different places to eat and drink at night to enjoy the culture. Instead we felt like there was no options. There was one restaurant a couple km`s away but we didn't want to walk up that 1,5km hill in the dark.
So instead we were left with the only meal they provided, which was a set three course dinner in either meat or vegetarian. We tried it the first night and unfortunately didn't find it satisfying. Onion soup, with grilled chicken and garlic sauce. The meal was very bland. Is just ashame to only give one option when you have no more options..
The pool too was filled with cloudy water and dirty too. We didn't even want to go in and never saw anyone else using it either.
Now to get to the worst part. The room didn't even have a proper roof on it! It was made out of palm leaves with huge openings all over so that any type of bug, spider, Cockroach and who knowes what else can get in when your sleeping. The bug net around the bed want that comforting since it had holes in it and almost every bug we saw was inside the net.
I guess all in all, for the most expensive place on the island we were very disappointed. At the very least all we ask for is as decent roof over our heads. I've slept in cheap hostles and felt safer. Here we barely even slept at night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Leenie127

Dear Leenie127, after reading your review I just wanted to express my sincere regret that we weren't able to provide you with a satisfactory experience. Generally speaking we get very positive feedback from guests regarding the food and both the onion soup and garlic chicken are normally amongst the most popular recipes! Equally, the palm-thatch roofs are normally a popular feature since they are aesthetically pleasing, a local renewable material and very cool in this hot climate. I appreciate our product may not be everyone’s cup of tea so to speak but I still want to assure you we are taking your comments very seriously and will be using them to further improve. I hope the rest of your stay in Nicaragua was more enjoyable. sincerely, Martijn

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed at Totoco for 3 nights total, while travelling with our children ages 3 and 5. The staff were all friendly and attentive, but only a handful had any level of English so be prepared to communicate in Spanish. The resort is well kept, tidy and felt very safe, but it was more rustic than we had anticipated. While the composting toilets are surprisingly odour free, my husband and I both never got used to them. The food was excellent and fairly priced and very healthy. My kids loved the pool and we had it to ourselves most of the time. The road in to the resort definitely requires 4x4, and we did it as few times as we could. We signed up to do a horse back ride to the coffee plantation, and our guide walked in flip flops as we went horseback which just seemed really uncomfortable. He spoke no English, so made it difficult to get anything our of the trip. There was no tour of the plantation, and the facilities there were very "rustic". We paid the few extra dollars to hike up to the petroglyphs, which would have been fine with only a five year old but we ended up carrying the 3 year old and the petroglyphs were rather unremarkable and with no explanation about them it definitely felt anticlimactic. The horseback riding was straight up/down at points which felt a wee bit much to do with small children. Our guide seemed totally unenthusiastic and we were surprised the resort suggested it even possible to do on foot with small kids, thank God we rode the horses! In the end, we don't have complaints per se, but would not recommend for families with young kids unless you do A LOT of hiking and outdoor activities with them already. Would I return without kids? Probably not, but I can see the appeal for others, thus my rating.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank travellingbird888
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just returned from four wonderful nights at Totoco. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is outstanding, the views are spectacular and the mission inspirational. We toured the farm, visited a nearby coffee plantation and rode bikes from Balgue to Santo Domingo beach. One of our best vacations stays ever.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carl S
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Just spent there 2 nights. I loved this resort. The views are truly amazing, you will find yourself surrounded by beautiful untouched nature, the staff and the owner are very helpful, friendly and professional. The lodges are comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carlo G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balgue
Xalli Ometepe Beach Hotel
Hotel Finca del Sol
Hotel Finca del Sol
#1 of 4 in Santa Cruz
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and ...
#5 of 52 in Isla de Ometepe
Selvista Guesthouses
Selvista Guesthouses
#3 of 7 in Balgue

Been to Totoco Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!