“We loved it, great friendly service”
Review of Totoco Eco-Lodge

and 1 more site!
Totoco Eco-Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Balgue B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a remote ecolodge with great bungalows. It is solar powered, has long drop toilets which are very regularly serviced and four poster beds. Very few spoke English but every member of staff was friendly. The choice at dinner is between vegetarian and meat and it made a refreshing change not to have a huge choice. The food was excellent both breakfast and dinner. The ethos is around saving the planet and helping others less fortunate by having a foundation programme. It has a small pool with the best view of any pool I've ever swum in. We loved it. Slept so well in pitch blackness and howler monkeys howling. A top tip would be to take a torch!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The location and views couldn't be better. The staff and services were all great. I totally agree with their ethics and sustainable tourism. It's a shame more hotels don't do more for the local people and give back like these owners. Only negative was that, for the price, I felt the rooms could have been cleaner. I know we were essentially in the jungle but there were layers of dead wasps and flies on ledges that clearly had been there some time. Other than that ver nice place.
Brilliant vibe about the place and overall really great. it is pricey but hopefully that's because of their other projects and is given back to the community,

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bradburyburrows
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The pluses:
-Spectacular view from room, dining room and pool.
-Friendly staff
-This is a true ecolodge and they really walk the talk.
-Nice patio in front of my cabin with a hammock and rocking chairs.
-Beautiful plants and birds abound, the sounds of nearby howler monkeys and countless stars at night.

The minuses:
-Occasional creepy crawly spiders and other insects in the cabin.
-No flush toilets, only the composting variety (which are better for the environment.)
-The room could have been a bit cleaner though it wasn't dirty by any means.

On the whole I thought Totoco was a special place and I would recommend staying there.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This place is stunning, far better than I had expected. The lodges are very pretty, secluded, fantastic outdoor shower with hot water, and your own private deck/hammock. The view in our cabin was amazing! You wake up and you can see the volcano right in front of you. The toilets are interesting as there’s no water system so you have to use compost. You also get the odd gecko or frog in the bathroom, but this is an eco lodge after all, so I wasn’t too bothered. It was all part of the experience!

The reception/bar area was nice, again great views. There was also an infinity pool which I would sit around to watch the sunset. There’s Wi-Fi but it doesn’t work half the time so don’t rely on it.

Location-wise, it’s great for nature, but I didn’t realise how far out it was. To get to the nearest restaurant/town there was a 30min steep hike to the bottom of the volcano, which was only advisable during daylight. We had to eat at the hotel restaurant most of the time, which wasn’t bad but we wanted the option to go to the local town. In terms of taxis, they were expensive in general around the island so after hours we stayed at the hotel.

All in all, whilst I loved the eco-lodge and its secluded nature, I found the location a bit limiting. The costs of getting to and from the hotel became quite expensive so we didn’t get to do all the things we had planned.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GlobeTrotterNo2
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Marvelous location once the rough road has taken you up to the lodge. Quite unforgettable views and sunset. Good if not exciting food, superlative Margheritas..
Nice cabins close to the edge of the jungle. Very engaged owner, you will understand the ecological direction of the guesthouse from a guided tour with him(you may also meet his adorable family taking that stroll). Recommended!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nihilnisibene
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed for 6 nights at Totoco and do not regret it.
They have a nice lounge and restaurant area and a lovely infinity pool.
The meals were fine, given the remote location they even managed to have some variation of the menu, and the service very friendly.
They laundry service was amazing!
We liked our cabin that had solar powered electricity and a gas fired hot shower, good bed.
One time there was a problem with the power capacity of the cabin at night but that was dealt with the next day.
The manager took us on a tour over the property and the adjacent farming operation they also run, very interesting, and also we went with a guide on foot to see the petroglyphs.
Seeing them and hearing the explanations is always of interest.
For the rest we made pleasant car trips over the island.
The side road to Totoco leaves the main road at 11º29'25.2N and 085º31'12.5", there is a sign.
In our period the road up was rough, a car with good ground clearance is preferable, but improvement works are on the way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AbrahamPotappel
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed 3 night at Totoco (just my husband and I). I was pretty excited about staying at this property as we have stayed at Eco lodges in Nica before and felt this one was going to be amazing...not so much. When we arrived (after 12 hours of travel), we were greeted by Martijn...the manager. We were told to leave our bags and to go enjoy the last 5 minutes of the sunset on the deck and that after that, we would be checked in. 1.5 hours later.......he was gone and we were still waiting to be checked in. Finally, we asked the bartender what was going on (it was well after 8 pm by this time) and he said he would take us to our room. No tour of the property, no explanation of meal times, no explanation of ANYTHING. Dropped off in our room and left to figure it out. Dinner was okay, but noticed that they served the EXACT same meal on night one and night 3. Leftovers? Sleeping in our room was a nightmare. There is a small power generator of sorts that you can plug a fan in to as it gets pretty hot in Nica. At 2 am, this power strip starts making the most god awful beeping noise. NON STOP. This happened for 45 minutes and we couldn't fix it, so we slept night 1 with no fan. My hubby let the manager know in the morning and he said he would take care of it. Well, Martijn didn't take care of it. 2 more nights of the same thing....alarms going off in the middle of the night for long periods of time followed by sweaty stagnant air due to no airflow from the fan.
On the day of my birthday, we had the manager set up a horseback ride to see the petroglyphs and the coffee plantations. He told us that he would set it all up and let the guide know what tour we wanted to go on. The ride was nice, but that isn't where our guide took us at all. So, unfortunately, we didn't get to see what we paid for.
All in all, we were massively disappointed in our stay here. If I could request my money back, I would.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank holtphotog
Martijn_Priester, General Manager at Totoco Eco-Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Holtphotog, having just read your review I want to extend my sincere apologies for not having done enough to make your stay with us enjoyable. I can only assure you that steps have been taken to avoid in future the same incidents you had to suffer. After hearing about the problems with the energy system our maintenance team thought they had resolved the issue but clearly this wasn't the case. I wish we would have known that our repairs had not worked as we would have gladly moved you to another lodge. I encourage you to always communicate any issues you have to reception as it is only then that efforts can be made to resolve them. We have also spoken with the horse rental operator to help them improve their service and we are taking steps to ensure the changing evening menu always offers a new option for our guests during their entire stay. This was already our policy and as such you should not have seen the same option twice. Finally I can only promise you that we do not serve our guests 3 day-old food! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Nicaragua more. sincerely, Martijn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balgue
La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant
#1 of 4 in Santa Cruz
El Zopilote
El Zopilote
#1 of 8 in Santa Cruz

Been to Totoco Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!