“Quirky live music venue in Marrickville”
Review of The Camelot Lounge

The Camelot Lounge
More attraction details
Owner description: Sydney's favorite boutique music venue, and home for World Music in Australia, as well as presenting the best singer/songwriters, jazz, folk, blues, cabaret etc from Australia and beyond. With The Django Bar downstairs & Camelot upstairs, amazing and eclectic collections of objects and art co-exist with incredible music, in a truly unique, fun atmosphere! And...delicious, affordable, unpretentious food and drinks served to complete the experience. All ages welcome (under 18's must be supervised by adult).
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I’d follow singer Christa Hughes - daughter of the legendary Dick Hughes, the first solo jazz pianist to perform at Sydney Opera House – just about anywhere. Which is pretty much how I ended up climbing two long flights of narrow stairs into a crazy collector’s jazz bar in downtown Marrickville. You might know Christa better from her time at the top of the charts as K.K. Juggy with rock band Machine Gun Fellatio. I digress… So what will you find at Camelot Lounge? Well a lot of camels – totally not the reference I was thinking of when I read the name. The walls are well worth trawling for kitsch dromedary depictions. Now while the food isn’t anything to write home about, I’m telling you about this spot because live music venues are getting a bit thin on the ground, and this one’s quirky enough to visit regardless. What you can expect to be eating with your sharp, salt-rimmed Margarita ($15) or Napoleone Pear Cider ($7) are home-style pizzas with thin, crunchy bases. Stay simple with a Garlic Pizza ($8), or dress things up with salami and Kalamata olives on the Salama ($12.50), or pastrami and pineapple on a Blue Hawaii ($12.50). Or just accompany a bottle of wine from their under-forty-dollar list with a Trio of Dips ($8).

1  Thank Jackie M

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We went to see the Russian Gypsy Extraganza, the show itself was great, and for the quality of entertainment it was reasonably priced, the room is quirkily decorated with Camels of all descriptions, that is all the good I could find to say about the Camelot Lounge. A group of eight of us had booked a table and we were implored by the venue to arrive early or the table would not be held, the 8 of us which included some 80 year olds arrived at the Camelot lounge at 6.00 pm on a cold winters night and were made to wait on the street for half an hour before the doors were open, of course nearly everyone attending were milling around the entrance at this stage and we all queued up the stairs while the interminably slow process of checking people in occurred. We then checked out the menu of pizzas and placed an order, I was initially pleasantly surprised at the cost of the pizzas until i saw the size of them, they would easily feed a young child, but most adult men would need two to be satisfied, so $12.50 for pizza is really $25, my advice is to have food beforehand, the pizzas were pretty average, and if you need cutlery a plastic knife and fork is provided, likewise a disposable polystyrene plate to eat off. Lastly the amount of people who attended was way too many to be comfortable, there are so many different styles of tables and chairs all arranged in a mishmash way, that when the music started we were so tightly packed into our tables that escape was difficult, none of us wanted to get up and fight our way to the bar to get drinks at the interval, even though we would have liked to, what would have been nice is a few less people and a small area for those who might like to dance, unfortunately the cramped and overcrowded conditions is my strongest impression of the night which is sad because the entertainment was great.

2  Thank Tony N
CamelotLounge, Owner at The Camelot Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Oh my friend where I do I begin to respond to your reviews? Some nights are really full - other nights are not. Our capacity is never exceeded - but if every single table is reserved, it gets pretty cozy. We noticed you retracted your previous review in which you called the owner greedy (certainly a very cynical and unkind assessment) - but in this new review still maintain that Camelot is overpriced. In fact, we pride ourselves in being very affordably priced - our drinks are amongst the most reasonable in town, and the $12.50 pizzas are considered by most to be a meal fit for an adult. They are hugely popular because they are cheap, fresh and delicious.

It is sad that you appear to have profoundly missed the spirit of the place if you are fixating over paper plates - indeed it is clear from both your reviews that Camelot is probably not for you.
I'm pleased to say we mostly attract warm easy-going music-loving people who love the eclectic fun vibe of the place - and of course there'll always be those for whom it just doesn't resonate.
No two tables are the same out of an aesthetic choice - and we strive to create as comfortable scenario as possible. We are able to seat 80 to 90% of our audiences - obviously there'd be more room if we took out half of the seats and/or tables, but we would rather our patrons are comfortable and able to sit: this is our priority, contrary to what you have written

As far as arriving at 6pm (when we advertise 630pm doors on a Sunday), you will be hard pressed to find a venue anywhere in the world that will open a half an hour earlier than advertised, so it would seem this criticism is unfathomably unreasonable.

Music venues in Sydney close down one by one - especially ones trying to put on world-music (and other marginalized styles) etc that Camelot presents. Fortunately, Camelot is popular on account of the great music we are able to program, as well as the friendly staff, cheap and cheerful food, and entertaining and welcoming ambiance. 50 less people as you suggested (in your previous review), and Sydney would see another venue close down. It is unfortunate that you felt uncomfortable, and I hope you can find a Sydney venue that meets your comfort needs, that charges less for their food, and in so doing can still sustain themselves to stay in business.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I am adding to a previous review because this is a real issue for people with a disability or with an injury as the stairs are very steep. IN this forum management proudly say there IS disabled access.....but where on earth is it?
Don't get me wrong I love the Camelot Room but haven't been for months because I don't think I would get up the stairs. Last time I tried to go there was no information at the door as to where to find disabled access.
Surely a sign pointing a way to the disabled access would mean such patrons would be able to use it and actually get in. Unless a sign has gone in since my last attempted visit, this seems to be some sort of puzzle that injured and disabled people are expected to work out by themselves at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Is it really disabled access or is it musical instrument access? If people are permitted to use it why is it not sign posted?

1  Thank SleepyINParadise

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback again. It's certainly not intended to be a mystery and we have many disabled and elderly patrons who use our lift regularly.
The lift is at our stage-door. We have this information on our website under the FAQ section:

9) DO YOU HAVE DISABLED ACCESS?
Yes! Pleased to say we have a lift at Camelot Lounge. The lift is situated at the Camelot Stage Door (103 Railway Pde, Marrickville). When you get here, either send a friend upstairs to let us know we need to open the stage-door, or call 9550 3777 upon arrival.

Besides this info on our website, we happily answer enquiries via email and phone, and are more than happy to directly respond to any such enquiries: our email is camelot@camelotlounge.com
Alas you've missed so many wonderful shows since your last visit, which is such a shame since you could have been using our lift whenever required.
In any event, thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention - if even one patron cannot find this info - it's one too many, so we have just had a sign printed, which will now adorn the front entrance of Camelot.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've been to quite a few shows at Camelot, including The Spooky Men's Chorale (hilarious) and Jose Zarb + Marsala for New Years Eve (dancing & going crazy, heaps of fun)...

Camelot takes quirky to a whole new level of great. The venue is loaded up with camels of all sizes and shapes. :) There are a range of spots to sit, stand and often a dance floor.

Very close to Sydenham train station, an ideal location for transport.

They serve decent food, and ticket prices are often good value.

Get a group of friends together for a table, get in early & enjoy the night... :)

1  Thank David_Maywald
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Camelot Lounge in Sydney's inner west is a great place to see music performed, indie bands, world music, cabaret rock and more. The venue holds about 150, serves pizza and drinks and hosts fabulous performers. The sister bar downstairs is smaller and provides another venue for great fun.

I saw Mikelangelo and the Black Sea Gentlemen performing an energetic and hilarious rock cabaret with great music and lively audience participation. A perfect location for this sensational Australian band and its charismatic lead, baritone Mikelangelo. The band's violinist, Ruffino, performed as a lead singer in a "competing" band, Ruffino and the Coconuts. Caribbean versus Balkan musical influences. Fabulous gig, excellent musicians and great vibe.

The audience in the Camelot the night I was there ranged from 12 to 70, with the bulk between 30 and 50. Go, often, and enjoy.

1  Thank SalinaLuisa