“Banh mi pleases me”

Marrickville Pork Roll
Ranked #1 of 137 Restaurants in Marrickville
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Delicious banh mi - best I've had in Sydney. The servings are generous - pink roast pork, pate, lashings of fresh vegetables and chilli on a crispy fresh roll, all for $4.50. Service is fast and efficient, don't let the queue deter you. Enjoy.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Don't be put off by the queues here - they move quickly. Probably one of the tastiest pork rolls in Sydney - definitely the best in the inner west. Typical service from a banh-mi place, not unfriendly, but not overly friendly either. I don't mind - we only need to communicate for about 1 minute. I'm not here to get to know people - I want the pork rolls!!

Crunchy, fresh and with the perfect balance of paté, butter/mayo and meats topped with crunchy fresh and pickled vegetables. Just the right amount of coriander and (if you like it like me) as much chopped chilli as you like. I'd give money to know what is in their sauce recipe!! We only ever eat the pork roll so can't judge the other variations.

Parking nearby can be a pain, but worth the pain for such a good pork roll outside of Cabramatta (or Saigon!).

1  Thank vicbrett
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Forget the queue, forget the tiny hole in the wall shop that barely fits 2 customers. Let's cut to the chase: These people make pork rolls that are a feast in every sense of the word!

The display of thinly sliced pink meats and crisp spears of white radish and mountain of freshly-made pate behind the glass counter makes me even hungrier. When I give my order, the precision spreading and the filling and the ladling starts, and I find myself hoping that every one of those colourful ingredients goes onto my roll.

Good Vietnamese pork rolls are a subtle layering of flavour and colour and texture, and I lose count of the exact number of ingredients going onto my roll, but it must be at least a dozen. I'm asked if I want chilli. I certainly do. I want the full experience. The staff work with amazing speed and coordination given the minute work space they have. A ladle of sauce is drizzled over my roll, it's bagged and handed to me.

My plan was to drive somewhere and stop and eat, but hang it all, it's nearly 3 pm, I've skipped lunch and I have a Vietnamese pork roll in front of me stuffed to the size of a small football with fresh ingredients.

Tidy freaks avert your eyes here, because I have to admit that crumbs from that wonderfully crunchy Vietnamese bread went everywhere... but it was sensational. The smooth creamy pate was a great contrast to the crisp vegetables, and juicy slices of meat, and even through the chilli hit, I could taste the fish-sauce tang of the home-made dressing.

Fabulous fresh lunch at a bargain price. Come and embrace your street food, Sydney!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Even though the small takeaway place looks a bit chaotic, the food was excellent and we will definitely go there again. The price of around 5$ is more than fair!

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing banh mi! Prices start at $4.50 for a huge roll stuffed with fresh ingredients. There will be a queue but service is quick. Worth the wait!