“Super place to stay, good food, friendly people, nice rooms” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of YHA Penzance

YHA Penzance
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Super place to stay, good food, friendly people, nice rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a tale of the fruitless search for a hotel with a family room in Penzance or Marazion where we could stay ahead of the Land's End 100 cycle sportif in October. And for those of you who like to read the last page the of the novel first, let me assure you that it all works out ok in the end. The Land's End sportif starts early and, although we live in Falmouth, we thought it would be nice to have a night in Penzance or Marazion ahead of the sportif so that we wouldn't have to get up at 5am to get over to the start, get registered and set off. So I start looking for a hotel with a family room. The Godolphin Arms in Marazion wanted (wait for it) £190 a night for a family room. REALLY???? Another hotel in Marazion was cheaper - ONLY £130 a night. So there's no way I'm forking out this sort of cash for a night in a hotel, off season, in Marazion. But then... a light bulb moment! Penzance Youth Hostel! We have had great success with Coverack Youth Hostel for short family trips (see my review of it from July 2012) and we bring fieldtrips to Penzance Youth Hostel every year. It was refurbished to excellent modern standards only about three years ago and now represents a really good value stay in Penzance in lovely surroundings, especially good for families. I camped in the grounds in the summer whilst cycle touring in the area and it was excellent. We booked a family room for £80. The room was large and comfortable. It was not ensuite but there were rooms that have ensuite facilities. The hostel itself is large, warm, and inviting. The bar/dining room is a great place to sit and eat, drink and hang out. We had an excellent meal in the evening: I had a pizza, daughter had tortellini, and husband had curry. It was cheap, plentiful and tasty. My daughter and husband reported that breakfast in the morning was also delicious (I had to go early to register for the sportif). Overall I can highly recommend this youth hostel. It is in a lovely spot, walking distance from the town centre, and is well run. It's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you really want ensuite facilities, ask for these when you book. But don't be put off by shar...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OutAndAbout40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Arriving as a group of soggy smelly hikers walking the Coast Path it was a little disconcerting to place grimy boots on a plush cream-coloured carpet as we crossed the threshold. However nobody batted an eyelid and we were made very welcome by the receptionist who showed us to our spacious shared room. Although feeling a bit like a hotel at first and offering a well stocked bar and catering service for breakfast and dinner, this was clearly still a youth hostel at heart which pleased us. Self catering facilities were impressive and loos and showers plentiful. The room was spacious and beds comfortable and they even provided lockers for our rucksacks. There was also a games room and laundry which we would have used had we stayed more than one night.

Doors were locked with a key card, which made everything very secure but a bit of a pain to get in and out of the room. Easily remedied by sticking a boot in the door. We went out for a pub meal as it was the last night of our trip and were pleased to be able to get back in on our return around midnight. Bit of a walk into Penzance - roughtly 3/4 of a mile - but worth it for a quiet night away from the town.

All in all a great place with a luxury feel but retaining practicality. Nice one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PLoDRS_1
Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

on arrival we were greeted by a young lady that checked us in then told us of where everything was and our rooms as there were two of us in different sex rooms,
we had never shared before and we found that this not as bad as we had thought,
the self catering kitchen was huge and very well equipped with all that you would need,
the hostle has a nice tv room and the showers were ok but not many for the amount of people that can stay here say with the camping as well,
we have stayed at many hostles within the yha and this has to be the best so far as the location is far enough away from the town but close enough to walk,also a great place to use to explore cornwall,

Room Tip: we shared this time but will camp next time,
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

The first comment I would make about YHA Penzance is how genuinely friendly I found the girl who checked me in and also served breakfast the next morning. She made the stay. The hostel is in a nice location on the edge of Penzance (about 25 minutes walk from railway station) and was situated in nice grounds. The room was clean as were the toilets. Whilst I have no doubt the shower was clean initially, once one person had been in there with muddy shoes the shower remained muddy for the rest of the morning. The showers also seemed to be quite easy to flood, both the showers I used had been flooded by a previous user. I was glad that, unlike some hostels, the bathroom facilities were not en-suite, so I could sleep a bit later and did not get woken up when the first person got up to use the shower...

I only used the self catering kitchen to fill up a water bottle but it seemed modern and well equipped. There was an all you can eat breakfast for £4.99 which was good value, but I feel that a vegetarian option could have been offered. They also do meals and pizzas in the evening. Camping in the grounds is permitted. I would stay here again but will be sure to pack some flip flops for the shower!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rtl2
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Were in UK on 2mth holiday. Stayed at YHA where possible to reduce costs. This is a well presented property witheverything sparkling and new. Very nice staff who were funny and professional at the same time. Obviously perfect for the job. Gps tried to take us to the wrong end of the closed road which led us up the wrong garden path. Very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here, it was at the end of a end to end cycle. Building itself was beautiful and there was lots of artwork on the walls. Manager could not be more helpful. Meals served were excellent and the room (6 bed dorm) was very modern, if a little cramped. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Snow_hill2
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed here twice recently. The first time, I was in a dorm which wasn't fully occupied, so slept ok. On my return, I arrived late, and had a bed in a full 6 bed dorm. I've stayed in other backpackers where the beds are made up, but here I had to make up my own, which meant I disturbed the others in the room. The total cost of the room was almost £120, which for an overheated and overcrowded room was a bit much.
There weren't enough showers and toilets.
Wifi is available, but 50p for 10 minutes is no bargain.
I had supper on the first night, as the centre of penzance is about 15 minutes walk away. There was a long wait for a mediocre pie.
I used to be a supporter of the YHA, but am no longer impressed. If they want to go upmarket they could learn a lot from some of the budget hotel chains.

Room Tip: Travel out of season!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 7 in St Just
Trereife House
Trereife House
#4 of 87 in Penzance

Been to YHA Penzance? Share your experiences!