“Swanky Pants - Perfect unless you're self catering”
Review of YHA Penzance

YHA Penzance
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This large hostel has an incredible reception, dining room and lounge area. It looks like a 4 star hotel! It gets very busy in summer so book ahead. I camped in the large garden which cost £9. The self catering kitchen is small for the size of the hostel and the dining room (for the self catering kitchen, which is different to the restaurant one upstairs) feels a bit like a dungeon.

I didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked wonderful - I would definitely try it out another time. There is a washing machine and dryer, but only one set, so its busy. There is also a pool table.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for YHA Penzance

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Our day of arrival, couple of foreign chaps starring me out well I put my tent up. I cought a polish girl leaning her car door against my pride-n-joy car. Main bin over flowing. I went to use toilet was covered in wee, on several occasions. Tents pitched right next to ours with selfish people snoring there heads off. We will not come back here again. Penzance was lovely, shame the site was not!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stopped here for one night when i started my cycle ride up the country LEJOG. It was well placed for a quick trip to Lands End for a photo before continuing on. Secure bike storage. Wouldn't be too keen on spending more than one night here at a time in dormitory room as its quite noisy.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 11 May 2014

FRANCAIS :
J'ai trouvé cet hôtel super ! Le petit déjeuner typiquement Anglais n'a déçu personne de mon groupe et moi y compris. Les chambres sont très grandes. Le fait qu'il y ait les sanitaires dehors n'est pas un problème. C'est quand même un inconvénient car il y a parfois beaucoup de monde alors il faut aller chercher sa douche un peu loin. Au niveau de la propreté j'ai trouvé qu'il n'y avait rien a dire. La salle que l'on peu appeler salle "commune" est un réel avantage il y a des ordinateurs qui fonctionne avec un code il faut payer et même quelques livres et un puzzle. L'extérieur est très bien entretenu.

ANGLAIS :
I found this great hotel! The typically English breakfast disappointed nobody of my group and me including. Rooms(chambers) are very big. The fact that there are toilets outside is not a problem. It is all the same an inconvenience because there is sometimes a lot of people then it is necessary to fetch its shower a little bit far. At the level of the cleanliness I found that there was anything has to say.The room that we to call few room "municipality" are a real advantage there are computers which(who) works with a code it is necessary to pay and even some books(pounds) and a puzzle. The outside is very well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a tale of the fruitless search for a hotel with a family room in Penzance or Marazion where we could stay ahead of the Land's End 100 cycle sportif in October. And for those of you who like to read the last page the of the novel first, let me assure you that it all works out ok in the end. The Land's End sportif starts early and, although we live in Falmouth, we thought it would be nice to have a night in Penzance or Marazion ahead of the sportif so that we wouldn't have to get up at 5am to get over to the start, get registered and set off. So I start looking for a hotel with a family room. The Godolphin Arms in Marazion wanted (wait for it) £190 a night for a family room. REALLY???? Another hotel in Marazion was cheaper - ONLY £130 a night. So there's no way I'm forking out this sort of cash for a night in a hotel, off season, in Marazion. But then... a light bulb moment! Penzance Youth Hostel! We have had great success with Coverack Youth Hostel for short family trips (see my review of it from July 2012) and we bring fieldtrips to Penzance Youth Hostel every year. It was refurbished to excellent modern standards only about three years ago and now represents a really good value stay in Penzance in lovely surroundings, especially good for families. I camped in the grounds in the summer whilst cycle touring in the area and it was excellent. We booked a family room for £80. The room was large and comfortable. It was not ensuite but there were rooms that have ensuite facilities. The hostel itself is large, warm, and inviting. The bar/dining room is a great place to sit and eat, drink and hang out. We had an excellent meal in the evening: I had a pizza, daughter had tortellini, and husband had curry. It was cheap, plentiful and tasty. My daughter and husband reported that breakfast in the morning was also delicious (I had to go early to register for the sportif). Overall I can highly recommend this youth hostel. It is in a lovely spot, walking distance from the town centre, and is well run. It's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you really want ensuite facilities, ask for these when you book. But don't be put off by shar...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OutAndAbout40
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Arriving as a group of soggy smelly hikers walking the Coast Path it was a little disconcerting to place grimy boots on a plush cream-coloured carpet as we crossed the threshold. However nobody batted an eyelid and we were made very welcome by the receptionist who showed us to our spacious shared room. Although feeling a bit like a hotel at first and offering a well stocked bar and catering service for breakfast and dinner, this was clearly still a youth hostel at heart which pleased us. Self catering facilities were impressive and loos and showers plentiful. The room was spacious and beds comfortable and they even provided lockers for our rucksacks. There was also a games room and laundry which we would have used had we stayed more than one night.

Doors were locked with a key card, which made everything very secure but a bit of a pain to get in and out of the room. Easily remedied by sticking a boot in the door. We went out for a pub meal as it was the last night of our trip and were pleased to be able to get back in on our return around midnight. Bit of a walk into Penzance - roughtly 3/4 of a mile - but worth it for a quiet night away from the town.

All in all a great place with a luxury feel but retaining practicality. Nice one.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PLoDRS_1
Reviewed 7 September 2013

on arrival we were greeted by a young lady that checked us in then told us of where everything was and our rooms as there were two of us in different sex rooms,
we had never shared before and we found that this not as bad as we had thought,
the self catering kitchen was huge and very well equipped with all that you would need,
the hostle has a nice tv room and the showers were ok but not many for the amount of people that can stay here say with the camping as well,
we have stayed at many hostles within the yha and this has to be the best so far as the location is far enough away from the town but close enough to walk,also a great place to use to explore cornwall,

Room Tip: we shared this time but will camp next time,
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Coverack
YHA Lizard Point
YHA Lizard Point
#3 of 7 in The Lizard

Been to YHA Penzance? Share your experiences!