“chalet a bit of a disappointment this year” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kenegie Manor Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gulval
Kenegie Manor Holiday Park
Sussex
“chalet a bit of a disappointment this year”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We have stayed at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park several years running and have normally been quite lucky in the Old Court Bungalows we have been allocated. Sadly this year we were not so lucky and the chalet was very basic. No double-glazing and only the minimum of furnishings and fittings. There was not even a frying pan in the kitchen and we had to request an extension cable in order to use the bedside lamp. There was also no patio furniture but this particular chalet (no.3) did not get much sun anyway due to the direction it faced. However, that said, the staff were helpful, the lady behind the reception desk/bar was very pleasant and helpful. (We didn't request a move as, after a long journey we just wanted to settle in with a minimum of fuss and we were only staying a week plus many things only became obvious after we were fully unpacked). For instance, we found that the water did not heat for the kitchen sink although the shower and bathroom basin both got hot water and the towel rail heated well. The fridge was rather old and the icebox didn't keep frozen things frozen. On the positive side: the park itself is lovely and quiet and very well situated for exploring this area of Cornwall - Sennen Cove, Mousehole, St Ives, etc. I am a little puzzled by people expecting entertainment or a shop as it is well advertised as a quiet park and this is one of the reasons we like it. There is a large Supermarket just down the road so a shop is not really necessary. Due to its position - and as we have been satisfied with our accommodation most years - we will very likely stay here again but I will request a different chalet. If you are exploring South West Cornwall by car, Kenegie Manor Holiday park is a very good base.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Seasidedancer
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

I have been able to identify you from the content of your review and can see that you are one of our VIP customers. To ensure this does not happen again, when you book next time, make the booking by phone and then you can choose the unit - booking online is obviously more random.

I am delighted to read that you still had a great holiday and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We returned to Kenegie Manor this year following an amazing stay last year, and highly recommending to the family. This time my husband and I were accompanied by our daughter her partner and three boys aged 18 16 and 14. We had booked a large barn and on arrival were shown to one which we felt was not suitable for 7. After discussing with the housekeeping manager, we were moved to a larger more suitable accommodation. I have since found that a lot of trouble was gone to to effect this change, but feel it was not on the part of the individual we spoke to as she seemed to have no interest other than to "move to another park" " "there's nothing I can do".
This is no reflection on JF holidays as a whole ,just on the individual at the time. The new accommodation was brilliant for our needs and the rest of our holiday was enjoyed by all.
The only other criticism would be that the facilities were lacking for our party, the pub food was not up to standard and closed at 9.00pm having only opened at 6.00 ( low season and lack of custom) which had it been just the two of us like last year ( when incidentally the food was AMAZING and pub atmosphere ace)we would have been happy with a quiet retreat after days if sightseeing, but with three teenagers !!!
This being said, the park is advertised as quiet and we HAD been before so...we would choose John Fowler again no question, but for this particular combination of ages etc wouldn't choose Kenegie but rather Tolroy Manor nr Hayle which we visited and found more suitable.

1 Thank Sceneit
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Many thanks for your constructive review. As you are aware there has recently been a change of management on this park and I feel sure that the new staff will take on board all that you have to say and make improvements for the benefit of future guests.

Thank you for your understanding and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and that you will coming back to see us again next year, staying at Tolroy Manor.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Booked through John fowler for a weekend due to a funeral. Looks great on the website but it's certainly not.we didn't risk the pool, there was no food available in the bar at all and the beer selection was minimal. Single glazed windows,uncomfortable beds and terrible decor. For all those who say its a lovely place I can only imagine what your houses are like!! 0 out of 10

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Sankey85
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when most of guests have a great time. There are a number of serious items in your review that need to be investigated.

I wonder if you told the park manager or head office of your displeasure while you were there, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. However, I will be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service to discover precisely where you where staying and see what went wrong.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is not a holiday park. Aside from the grounds, which are lovely and well kept, there is little going for this run-down and tired looking establishment. I would not even call it good value for money as I would have happily paid a lot more if we could have got something at short notice. On that note, given that we did get this at short notice, it is no surprise, having stayed there, that there were bungalows available. The whole place has the feel of a gulag. Don't be deceived by the photo on this website, yes there is an old manor house, I suspect Victorian, which is charming to look at, but the rest of the properties are stark and unwelcoming. Our bungalow was consistently damp. The furniture etc was tired and in need of replacement in some instances, for example, one of the sofas was in a terrible condition. We went to the swimming pool on the first day and did not repeat the experience. Our local authority baths are in better nick. I went to the bar one evening and it was just simply awful. No beer to speak of, terrible decor, no atmosphere and completely dreadful. The whole place stank of food.

Room Tip: Don't go here...avoid it and spend your cash elsehere.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Gary275
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
It is rare to get a poor review about this park and can only think that perhaps it was not to your taste. As you can read in the other reviews, so many of our guests prefer it the way it is and I am sorry it was not to your taste.

The manor house, which you describe as Victorian, is in fact 400 years old and the reason that you saw a number of empty bungalows is that many are privately owned, not let to the general public and only used occasionally.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my family have just returned from our holiday at kenegie manor we all loved the place.
After what started as a awful holiday turned into a great week.

We were transferred here from another John fowler holiday park. When we pulled up we could see it was so much better than the last place. We went to reception and were given the keys for barn 8 what can I say other than it was lovely. This is just what we wanted its such a cosy little barn.

There was everything that we needed the only thing that I can criticise is that it could with a bit more storage.

The bar is great place to relax on a evening. There isn't any tacky entertainment. But there is a pool table and fruit machines also there's a jukebox. The food is lovely and reasonably priced. The staff in the bar are lovely sorry I didn't get your names.

We will definitely be going back again. Thank you for making our holiday great

1 Thank Sball2004
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed on to all departments.

Our returning customers are so important to us and regularly make up 50% of our visitors, so we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Upon entering Kenegie manor we were impressed with the green foliage and palm trees and the peacefulness of the resort. We got to the reception (which is inside the pub), and checked in. It was pretty simple and straight forward. We found our cottage (no.06) - old court, which apparently is called the 'up side down house' which means bedrooms and shower down stairs and open plan sitting room and kitchen upstairs.

When we entered it was apparent that it was a very small 'terraced style cottage'. But I thought thats not a problem, as long as it's cosy, clean and comfortable. I had read some poor or average reviews of this property, but I thought i'd give it a go, as I'm not a fussy person, and easy to please. As you will see from the pictures, we were confronted with cob-webs, dust, dirt, musky smell oozing from the carpets inside the built-in closets, shabby paint work and a tempremental shower. Beware - yourself or your little ones could be scolded, so use with caution. I was advised that some of the cottages are privately owned, so they can't guarantee the same standards throughout the park. But you would think that a basic to average standard would be enforced upon all owners? Bathroom is super-tiny, it might be awkward, if your trying to shower your little ones. I've got a 22 month old and a 4 year old. The outside area for sitting down is perfetic really, your own space is not clearly defined, and just backs on to some grass-land. I saw our neighbor scrubbing the plastic table and chairs because they were so dirty. We didn't have any, and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to ask at this stage, I was too busy with my 4 children and didnt want to waist my holiday time complaining. Is there anything good about this place? Well the grounds are pleasant and if you want peace and quiet, this is the place to go. Good location for lands end and st Ives, 5 minutes to Penzance and Staff are OK, can't say much else, as I haven't had any contact with them since I checked in. Make sure you bring your cleaning materials and washing up liquid, as there's no starter pack for your arriVal. We traveled peak season, so it was quite pricey. would I trAbel to this resort again? Only if it was the modern placements inside the manor house. The bungalows - I was advised that they were the same as the cottages accept without stairs. The outside space for the bungalows looked defined and more inviting. You can gamble and book your holiday here, and you may get a slightly better cottage/bungalow or spend a lot more on the modern apartments and get guaranteed comfort. Cornwall is pretty and has beautiful beaches. If the cottage was cleaned to a high standard, non-shabby paint work and a little thought put in to decor & interior design - I would have given a 4 instead of 3.

1 Thank creation177
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 29 August 2013

With regard to the privately owned cottages, yes we do have minimum standards and I am really surprised to read that you considered yours not to be up to that standard, although it has not been a problem for previous or following guests. It is such a shame that you did not approach us while you were there - we would have instantly moved you to another unit or park

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Gloucester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We booked into a private apartment that was clean, comfortable and well maintained. The owner's agent introduced himself and promptly sorted out a couple of small quibbles. When we went down to the reception area, all of the staff were pleasant and helpful. And even though a family with small children were next door, we didn't hear a thing. So, all good.

It is true that the site doesn't have much in the way of facilities beyond the tennis court and a swimming pool with very limited opening hours. Although set in beautiful countryside, it wasn't easy to walk around the site and the road down into Penzance was narrow and dangerous on foot. From our perspective, Kenegie Manor served us perfectly as a jumping off point to explore the Penwith peninsula. Had the weather taken a turn for the worse, I might not be writing such a positive review, but we had a good time and left with lots of positive memories of this beautiful part of Cornwall.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Greghory
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. Your comments have been passed to all departments, and everyone will be delighted to hear your thoughts.

With regard to the facilities, we try desparately to tell everyone that this is not a traditional holiday park, but a very quiet and relaxing place.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulval
Hotel Penzance
#1 of 17 in Penzance
St. Ives Holiday Village
St. Ives Holiday Village
#20 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Kenegie Manor Holiday Park? Share your experiences!