“Olde world charm”

Le Chateau de Philiomel
Ranked #2 of 3 Lillers B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2013

A great stop over place on the way back to Calais, the chateau is set in beautiful grounds overlooking a lake, along a long tree lined driveway. Rather an incongruous setting, amidst a newish housing estate, but a haven of peace and tranquility. Lovely owner, huge room and bathroom, outstanding value for money at only 95euros a night. Tasty breakfast with coffee poured from the family's crested silver coffee pot - very grand!! Lillers rather drab so follow advice and eat at one of the owner's recommendations or do what we did and eat a picnic by the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with terrace.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Le Chateau de Philiomel

Reviewed 2 September 2012

This is a lovely b and b run by a charming host. We had a walk in the grounds by the lake before we had our picnic supper as we arrived too late for dinner anywhere. Clean rooms with modern bathrooms and a delicious breakfast served in the well appointed dining room. The house has been in the same family since it was built and is undergoing repair but this did not affect our stay.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monclardeux
Reviewed 20 August 2012

. We stayed at the Chateau Philiomel as an overnight stop from the Channel Tunnel to Brittany. Approaching through the housing estate one wonders where have I got myself but once through the gates and up the long tree lined drive to approach the chateau the opinion soon changes.
We stayed in room 2 (Au Soleil Couchant) which is spacious and sparsely furnished but this is in keeping with the character of the building. The chateau is clean throughout but in need of some general maintenance which I suspect may be work in progress as part of the overall renovation project.
The driveway of the Château is approximately a quarter of a mile and it is then about a further mile into Lillers where as it was a Sunday night we only found one place to eat but this would be different on weekdays and the Chateau would appear to be a good base to tour the region.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband has spent a night few years ago and wanted to bring me there for a long time.

We've finally managed to book a night for a week-end away. We took the Eurotunnel from UK and went straight there. The owner is lovely and make you feel very welcome.
We had a nice big room with a view on the park and a jacuzzi in the bathroom..
The room is nicely decorated and very comfortable!
We had a complementary bottle of champagne which was a really nice touch as my husband try to book few times and keep phoning back to have a date.. So the owner thanks us by bringing us a bottle of champagne in the afternoon.
We had a walk around the estate which was lovely...
The hotel offers breakfast with good croissants, pain au chocolat, fruits, cereals and nice french jams.

We had dinner at a restaurant which was situated in another town which is called 'Le Jardin d'Alice'. Great restaurant!

I would recommend this hotel for a week-end get away or even a stop other for a road trip or holiday. The price is very good!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bugvoyage
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is a charming little find. A great b&b with 4 unique rooms, which are well appointed and beautifully decorated with fabulous French antiques.

We spent one night here as a cheeky get away for my birthday. Not much to speak of in the village for food - but recommendation of le Buffett near the station in neighbouring village was fab meal - 4 courses at 30 euro a head.

Breakfast at the b and b is a simple French croissants, great coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice.

The host is marvellously friendly chap and made us feel right at home - will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank MrsHallett
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Good value, lovely rooms, gorgeous breakfast, charming host - a terrific stop over or weekend retreat, if you can get in.

Room Tip: Only four rooms, all lovely - One room has a jacuzzi if you like that sort of thing...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

I needed somewhere to stay overnight en route back to the UK with my little Yorkie not too far from Calais.
I can't stand Formula 1 type hotels that result in zero comfort and zero sleep, so searched for something a little more upmarket and wow what a find!!!
At just 65 euro for the night including breakfast for me and my pooch it was outstanding and I was blown away on arrival with its old school charm and beauty.

The room was incredibly spacious, clean and very comfortable with views out to the large pond in front of the property.

The proprietor was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast this morning was so good I felt I must write about this place immediately! Freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh strawberrys, cut in single glasses, fresh preserves and pastries all in the comfort of the beautiful dining/drawing room.

I felt I'd gone to heaven!

Would recommend and will definately be back!!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank GypsyGirl27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lillers
La Chartreuse du Val Saint Esprit
#1 of 3 in Lillers
Chateau de Moulin le Comte
Chateau de Moulin le Comte
#1 of 2 in Aire-sur-la-Lys

Been to Le Chateau de Philiomel? Share your experiences!