“Proper Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Frosterley
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014

A party of four - we were taken by some friends - had a great Sunday lunch. A proper pub Sunday lunch. Delicious lamb / pork / free-range chicken (pre-ordered). I love my chocolate desserts but so often they are style over substance - this was a beautifully satisfying chocolate dessert to end on.

1  Thank FloSol

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Black Bull has become a place of pilgrimage for my family over the last ten years of visiting Weardale.We have enjoyed freshly baked scones and fresh coffee, lunch, evening meals and Sunday lunch. All are delicious and look spectacular. There is always an excellent choice and the atmosphere - particularly if you visit in the autumn when the fires are burning makes you want to curl up in the high-backed settles and doze by the fire. We have spent happy evening doing the pub quiz, when we were made to feel like part of the community and terrific music nights when the mood has been magical. I can't recommend it highly enough. We are visiting next week again and are sad we can't be there on opening days (only open Thursday to Sundays - not Monday, Tuesday or Wednesdays) so we will miss it this time. Always best to ring and book - an oasis like that is popular.

1  Thank Glenis M
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The pub was full for the second lunch sitting of the day but didn't feel crowded. The welcome was warm and the service first rate. The roast beef was perfectly cooked and both tender and full of flavour. The Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and other vegetables were cooked perfectly too. The puddings were delicious and certainly home made as advertised.

4  Thank David R
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After a visit to hill end with my family to show my granddaughter the sheep
We thought we would try the black bull for Sunday lunch . On arrival the pup was full but we entered anyway and waited in a small hallway where we could see a couple of empty tables which were big enough to seat my family. So I was approached by a lady and told I might add before she had even asked if we had a booking that there was no room (if you want lunch you are out of luck) is what she said .ok she might have bookings coming in but to not even ask if we had a table booked seemed rather rude . It spoilt what had been a very pleasant morning and we won't be trying to have lunch there again .

18  Thank Alison B
Broddlestrappe, Owner at Black Bull Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

How inconsiderate of us to be full when you turned up for Sunday lunch.
If only you had said at the time that if you didn't get a table you would rate us as “TERRIBLE" on Trip Advisor.
I would then have had the chance to turf some of the diners off their tables to accommodate you.
I could even have cancelled the Golden Wedding guests who were due to take the empty tables you saw. I am sure they wouldn’t have minded.
Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to deal with you personally as we only let the slightly rude staff work on Sundays.
They tend to chain me upstairs on the Sabbath.
If however you are planning another 'sheep staring' excursion to Bollihope moor it might be wise to leave it till next season as we have now cooked most of the flock.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very charming pub, stripped back to basics but still oozing charm, lovely people (family owned) and the most gorgeous meal. Can't wait to go back some day!

2  Thank Moomaloo2