“Amazing whilst sobering”

and up
Makati Sightseeing Tour Including Ayala Center and American Cemetery
Ranked #3 of 31 things to do in Taguig City
More attraction details
Owner description: This monument includes the graves of thousands of Americans who died fighting in the Philippines in World War II.
San Jose, California
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Amazing whilst sobering”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Quite an amazing spectacle which reminds us again of the futility and cost of war. To see the headstones of so many, combined with the names of those etched in the walls whose bodies have yet to be found, it's a solemn site, yet it combines it with a beauty, maybe to give us hope.

Visited July 2014

85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I had the fortune of visiting and receiving a private tour of this cemetery just a couple of weeks ago, and the experience was TRULY moving! Admittedly, my knowledge of the war in the Pacific is quite limited; however, the memorial does a FANTASTIC job of educating the visitor on the TREMENDOUS sacrifice made by MILLIONS in the defense of freedom! Upon entering the cemetery, I was immediately reminded of the National Museum of the Pacific in Hawaii; however, that's where the likeness ends. Overall, this was just a FANTASTIC experience that I would HIGHLY recommend others to enjoy!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Thurman M
Mason, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We had been romping through the islands for over two weeks before coming to Manila and I'm glad that we stopped to learn about the history of the islands during WW2. I have a friend who lives in Manila and said that the cemetery is the most beautiful and tranquil place in the city. I agree!!

It reminded me of how patriotic that generation was and I'm grateful for the things they fought for!

2 Thank JenBraz
Oahu, Hawaii
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A must visit for every American”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

A somber and peaceful resting place for many of our brave soldiers who never returned home during WWII. There are mosaic maps throughout the memorial that explain the conflict. The cemetery is expansive, but it's the memorial that takes your breath away. Every massive wall is engraved with the names of soldiers whose remains were never found. Many of these men and women had family, who probably can't afford to visit and pay tribute to their loved ones. If you are American, I encourage you to visit and pay your respects, and to learn about an important part of our history.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank RNGKLAP
Indianapolis, Indiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Proud to be an American here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I had no idea the American armed forces were so heavy involved in the Philippines. This place was highly educational, clean and seeing the American flag made me proud. We were with a tour and only stayed 20 min, I could have stayed for hours looking at all the different battles they had reconstructed on the walls. A must see!!!!!!!!!

Visited May 2014