“New landlord & lady”

The Maypole Inn
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Maypole Inn has just reopened with Chefs Alex & Darren providing the menu of pub classics cooked using the best local ingredients. Nick is behind the bar and we have a great selections of Ales, Lagers and wines from around the world. We have 6 lovely en-suite bedrooms and prices start from £35.00 Per night B&B.
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just had a lovely light lunch with friends. I believe the previous people were not up to scratch and would like to say to those who had a bad experience please give it another go. Very pleasant and helpful staff.

1  Thank Shelagh W

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have visited the Maypole on numerous occasions over the last 20 years. In mid December my wife and I stopped for a drink on our way home.
It was during this visit that we witnessed two male customers being verbally abused by an employee of the pub. We were sat in the bar when the two men came out of the restaurant. We heard them talking to the barman and it transpired that they were customers who were trying to pay their bill. We didn't pay much attention until my wife pointed out the argument that was taking place as the customers were talked to very aggressively by a member of staff from behind the bar about 'not going in to his kitchen and not abusing him'.
Fortunately the customers in question did not respond to the verbal abuse they suffered at the employee's hands and chose to leave without further incident. However I was astounded at what I had seen. Being insulted by anyone is not pleasant, but seeing 'mature' customers spoken to in such a manner by a member of staff is something I would never have believed had I not seen it with my own eyes.
This sort of behaviour is not something I would ever expect to see in a village like Long Preston in a 'family pub' and was totally unacceptable.
The pub is advertised as being under new management and unfortunately from what I have experienced change is NOT for the better.
I am sorry to say that after 20 years I shall not be returning!

5  Thank grooverider999
Reviewed 9 January 2014

If you want to experience a Fawlty Towers in the Yorkshire Dales, visit The Maypole. And if you have the temerity to complain to the landlord expect him to imply that it was all your - i.e. the customer's - fault.
Briefly: Four of us - two couples - had a meal on 17th December. We ate in the dining room which was pleasantly decorated. The food was adequate pub food, served by a pleasant young waitress. However. after we had finished our meal, our troubles began. We found ourselves alone in the dining room with no staff to be seen. We wanted to pay so the two men went into the adjoining bar to enquire of the barman who said he would send the waitress. We returned to the dining room and waited, although it did seem obvious to us that the waitress had gone home. I was then foolhardy enough to knock on the kitchen door where I saw the chef. I asked him if the waitress was around and was informed in no uncertain terms that it was nothing to do with him and that I had no business coming into his kitchen and abusing him! We then returned to the bar where the barman told us that he could accept our payment. Why he didn't say that the first time I do not know. To my surprise the chef then appeared at my side and in front of the barman and customers engaged in a loud rant to the effect that I had no business coming into his kitchen, that I should respect him and that I should not abuse him! Having got that off his chest - without any intervention from the barman - he left, only to accost the four of us in the same vein as we left the pub.
On the 19th December I felt that I ought to ring the landlord to advise him of what had happened. His manner was aggressive even though he called me his "buddy" and "my friend" At no point did he express any apology and them began to imply that it was all our fault anyway as we had been "awkward" since we walked in. I think he was referring to the fact that we asked for a wine list. (There isn't one)
If it wasn't for the £90.00 bill, I could see an element of dark humour in all this as the landlord and landlady say they have 30 years experience in the hospitality business. Where?
The whole experience left us bemused and aggrieved. The ladies were upset.
Needless to say, we shall not be returning and unless there is a change in attitude of the staff and landlord, I would suggest you give it a miss

12  Thank Bemused2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Superb. We had dinner Friday night. 4 adults & one 16 year old daughter. All had separate meals. I had braised venison. Simply mouth watering. Followed by raspberry & apple crumble. Friendly staff. good price. well priced wine. Highly recommended

Reviewed 15 September 2013

A limited menu,but can improve.
Ale's on sale are well kept,Guinness is good
Just leaves the new Landlord's.to spend on the rooms or bring the price down,and prepare to defend against the local's that think they run the place

2  Thank Mike E