“Appalling. Wouldn't go back if you paid us”
Review of The Maypole Inn - CLOSED

The Maypole Inn
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Maypole Inn has just reopened with Chefs Alex & Darren providing the menu of pub classics cooked using the best local ingredients. Nick is behind the bar and we have a great selections of Ales, Lagers and wines from around the world. We have 6 lovely en-suite bedrooms and prices start from £35.00 Per night B&B.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Appalling. Wouldn't go back if you paid us”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stopped off here a few weeks back on a trip home from the lakes and the food was really nice although the staff could do with a bit more training. One of us had ordered steak pie with chips but the waitress only brought the pie out. Finally after half way through the meal he had to go up to the bar to ask for them as the waitress never came out again, not even to check everything was ok. They took so long to bring them out that the meals were eaten by then. There was no apology from the waitress which was a bit off putting but everything else was ok and everyone enjoyed their meals otherwise. We thought it might have been a one off and we were just unlucky.

We decided to stop here again the other weekend as the food was nice last time but this time was horrendous. There were 2 young waitresses on and they looked and acted like they didn't want to be there. There was a lot of tension between the bar staff, the landlady and landlord and the waitresses that you could cut the air with a knife. The waitresses were complaining to each other in full view of the customers about how bad their day was. Completely unprofessionall. 3 of our tables meals had to go back because they were cold. One of my friends rejected their meal as the meat wasn't even cooked properly and got a sarcastic comment off one of the waitresses who was muttering to herself the whole way to the kitchen and back. The waitress tried to give someone else the wrong meal. The waitress kept telling her thats what she had ordered and didn't believe that she had ordered something else which resulted in a bit of an argument. All the staff in the bar and restaurant had a look of thunder the whole time we were there and we could hear other customers getting frustrated with the staff too about mixed up orders and wrong orders and cold orders.We didn't bother ordering anything else and just paid up and left quickly. If the staff have a bad day, they shouldn't take it out on their customers but they did which was completely unacceptable. They were rude, unprofessional, sarcastic, unhelpful and we all left feeling disgusted and will NEVER go back again.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Kateteejones

London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming Pub”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We recently spent a week in Long Preston and ate at the Maypole a few times. Very much enjoyed the tasty food and friendly atmosphere. Good pub food, with hearty portions. Reasonably priced. The landlord and landlady were very welcoming and helpful. We liked the cosy bar and tended to eat there rather than the restaurant. On our first evening we asked if they did breakfasts; they did indeed. They provided us with delicious cooked breakfasts every morning for the duration of our stay, which certainly set us up for the day. Well worth the daily few minutes walk from our cottage! If we are ever in the area again we would happily visit the Maypole again.

• Visited April 2014
skipton
“Never again!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Last Sunday, 13th April, my husband,friend and I, went for lunch at the Maypole. On arrival it was obvious that things had changed. We were told that Robert, the previous owner had retired since we had been,last summer. I ordered scampi and chips , my husband a beef dinner and my friend haddock and chips. Each of these meals left a lot to be desired. My husbands beef was inedible and consequently he left all of it. We mentioned about the beef to a waitress who went to see the chef. The chefs reply was "there is nothing wrong with it" to which my husbands reply was that he could sole his shoes with it! The chef then said he could have a free dessert. My husband then ordered bread and butter pudding which was luke warm. My friend had sponge and custard which she said was average. I ordered a trifle. When I got to my third mouthful I felt something hard and sharp which grazed my mouth. On further investigation and to my horror I found that there were three shards of jagged glass ,a good half inch each , along with three smaller pieces,came out of my mouth.!! On inspection of the glass dish, that the trifle was in, I noticed there was a deep crack all the way round bowl. Someone needs to go to Specsavers!!
My husband asked to speak to the owner. When the owner came down to see us he proceeded to call my husband 'mate'. Not very professional in my opinion. The owner then went to speak to the chef and when he returned we were told there was no charge for our meal. Not from anyone did I get an apology or asked if my mouth was injured.
As a result of all this, it goes without saying, that we will not be making a return visit....EVER.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank johndSkipton
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“New landlord & lady”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just had a lovely light lunch with friends. I believe the previous people were not up to scratch and would like to say to those who had a bad experience please give it another go. Very pleasant and helpful staff.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Shelagh W
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Unbelievable Behaviour”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have visited the Maypole on numerous occasions over the last 20 years. In mid December my wife and I stopped for a drink on our way home.
It was during this visit that we witnessed two male customers being verbally abused by an employee of the pub. We were sat in the bar when the two men came out of the restaurant. We heard them talking to the barman and it transpired that they were customers who were trying to pay their bill. We didn't pay much attention until my wife pointed out the argument that was taking place as the customers were talked to very aggressively by a member of staff from behind the bar about 'not going in to his kitchen and not abusing him'.
Fortunately the customers in question did not respond to the verbal abuse they suffered at the employee's hands and chose to leave without further incident. However I was astounded at what I had seen. Being insulted by anyone is not pleasant, but seeing 'mature' customers spoken to in such a manner by a member of staff is something I would never have believed had I not seen it with my own eyes.
This sort of behaviour is not something I would ever expect to see in a village like Long Preston in a 'family pub' and was totally unacceptable.
The pub is advertised as being under new management and unfortunately from what I have experienced change is NOT for the better.
I am sorry to say that after 20 years I shall not be returning!

5 Thank grooverider999