“Meeting up with friends”
Review of The Maypole Inn

The Maypole Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Long Preston
The Maypole Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Preston
Wigston, United Kingdom
“Meeting up with friends”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My husband & I booked a double room at the Maypole Inn in North Preston just for an overnight stay as we were meeting friends there, we didn't have to ay a deposit up front. The Inn is situated on the village green and looks like a typical traditional village inn. We were greeted by a member of staff who showed us to our room, a lovely querky room complete with beams and creaking floors. It was nicely furnished in style with the type of building, it was spotlessly clean and had a lovely if smallish en suite complete with bath/shower. there was a very comprehensive hostess tray complete with tea pot and a variety of teas/coffes and hot chocolate and some very nice biscuits.
We met our friends in the bar which was obviously a meeting p[lace for the locals and we reserved a table for 6 for the evening meal. We were not disappointed with this either. There was a wide range of items on the menu and a specials board, the food was freshly cooked and plentiful and as the owner told us all local and home cooked. Breakfast the next day was just as good, fresh fruit, yogurt and a variety of cereals followed by full English breakfast, or kippers etc. The toast was from an uncut loaf and was lovely both brown and white brought to us together with a large pot of tea and coffee, jams,honey and marmalade. In all this is a lovely place to stay in a beautiful part of the country. It cost us £75 for the room and the evening meals were of a price I would say would be average for that type of establishment.We would go again.

Room Tip: The front rooms do face quite a busy main road, the rear rooms are over the kitchen area but this is...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My wife and I decided to stop and have a meal in a small eatery in a small English village. The Maypole Inn looked inviting with the trees and small village green just outside the front door. Parking was difficult but it is a small village. Once inside we noted the décor was rather tardy but this did not deter our looking forward to a village meal. Where do I start, (understanding the premises were busy - holiday Monday) service was slow but polite. I ordered our meals which consisted of chips with my meal and a plate of chips as an extra portion with my wife's meal. The food finally arrived with my fish and mushy peas on one plate and my chips in a bowl. No chips for my wife, thinking a genuine mistake had been made I asked the waitress who went to see and she returned telling us that this small portion of chips was for the both of us???. Knowing that quantity of the portions is up to the management we decided to just eat and accept until the table next to us was taken by a single person who ordered a salad and chips and guess what? his chip bowl was the same size for one as our portion. When I again asked about this the reply was the bowls were different sizes, sorry we asked the gentleman if we could check the sizes and again guess what? they were identical. The fish I would rate at 5 out of 10 as the batter had come off in the frying and the fish was to dry. Finally to add insult they had lost our bill and they had no idea what we had but OUR HONESTY prevailed. Not a place I would recommend.

Room Tip: Try the boars head down the road
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank scotent01
Scotland
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Managed to get a room late one evening after travelling too far between towns.
We received a very warm welcome and enjoyed a pint and a friendly chat with the owner and the locals. The bedroom was clean, tidy and well appointed with a lovely big bathroom. Breakfast was special, a huge freshly prepared fruit salad, local bacon, sausage and eggs, fresh bread and preserves - just marvellous for setting us up for a day's walking in the beautiful Dales. I'd recommend this Inn to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed here with a friend recently when we did the Walk For All. I would highly recommend it, the rooms were really nice and spacious and the staff were really helpful. They even offered to make us breakfast before the normal time as we had to get up early each morning. We ate there both nights and the food was great, especially the puddings!! Great place to stay if you want to enjoy the Dales.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Germany, Germany
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Warm welcome - proper and tidy room. Mattresses a little bit worn.
However, the diner was excellent. The braised lamb (marinaded in red wine?) was extraordinary, marvelous! The best food we had in our round trip through the whole UK!
Very friendly host! A nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JamesHerriot3
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Very good, freshly cooked breakfast, comfortable bed, if somewhat creaky, so why won't I be staying again? A few minor niggles such as very lukewarm welcome and lack of understanding how the point of sale equipment works could probably be addressed by watching a few episodes of The Hotel Inspector.
However the main problem was that we hardly slept during our one night stay. Our room was alongside the busy A65 with lorries driving past all all times of the day and night. Perhaps triple glazing and/or ear plugs would help or perhaps a room at the back of the inn would solve the problem.
We stayed there the night before our steam train journey on the Settle to Carlise railway in case there was a problem parking at the station (the inn is just a short walk from Long Preston station). On the day of the trip the station car park seemed to fill up about 25 minutes before the train was due so a better option may be to stay in a quieter place and drive to the station on the day, making sure you arrive in plenty of time to get a space in the car park.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the back of the inn is quieter but see other reviews
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian S
derby
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Booked the Maypole inn for a midweek walking break in the Yorkshire dales. , saw it on late rooms .com & read the reviews on Tripadvisor .
Just returned today & my only regret is that I could not stay a second night.
On arrival I was greeted by Rob who although busy serving guests in a packed lunchtime bar ( a good sign ) still found time to show me to the room and give me a map of local walks from the Pub . We spent the afternoon In the local area enjoying the weather & the splendid scenery. On going down for the evening meal I was again met with a very busy restaurant & bar area , but found that the managment had already reserved tables for staying guests , a nice touch I thought ! Whilst the restaurant was busy , it only took us around 5 minuits to order & be seated . The menu itself is varied enough & there was a good choice of specials . The food was excellent & the portions generous , at a very reasonable price.
I had seen comments about the decor being dated & whilst some of it may need refreshing ! The place itself was very clean & a credit to Country Pubs . We were in a large double room (no 5) which also had a single bed , Plenty of room & a shower / bath en suite. The only minor point was the road noise , no problem with the window shut , but in the height of summer you may want some ear plugs?
Cannot fault the Staff for being so efficient & friendly. . Left the Inn with a full stomach , thanks to another very nice meal (full english breakfast )
Clean , efficient , friendly & very well priced , What more can you ask for ? Will put this one on my must revisit list .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Hawes
Old Stone Trough Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook

Been to The Maypole Inn? Share your experiences!