“stopped for lunch”
Review of The George Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hubberholme
The George Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hubberholme B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Hubby and I did a leisurely stroll the other day and happened upon this little pub had intended to stop just for a quick drink to freshen up but stayed and had lunch. Vey enjoyable - even the friendly banter after I got attacked by the umberella!!! (I told you I was going to put it on trip advisor....lol.) The food was freshly cooked and very tasty. All the family were mucking in to help as it was busy due to the hot weather. Very welcoming and would recommend it to all. Would definitely return again if we are in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Not-so-Oldies
There are newer reviews for The George Inn

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stopped at the George for lunch, lovely quirky pub, we've been many times before. I ordered quiche and salad and chips, and a tuna and cheese sandwich, and 2 orange juices (bottled). The bill was nearly £15. We waited 40 minutes, and were served a small cold piece of quiche with a few leaves, 1 slice of tomato, 1 of cucumber and 2 slivers of pepper, with a drizzle of dressing over. I asked if the chips were coming, and was told I hadn't ordered any. When I queried why it took so long, I was told his wife was on her own, and there had been 8 food orders. Well, I'm not a trained cook, but I reckon I could make 8 sandwiches or put 8 pieces of quiche on a plate, or a combination of these a darn sight quicker than 40 minutes! I will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mitziglitzi
Jackie Y, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We at The George are passionate about customer satisfaction and consider all feedback both good and bad to be very helpful in our striving to deliver excellent service, food and hospitality. Your comments seem to be a little at odds with most other reviews, and we would dispute one or two of the points you make however there seems to be little to be gained debating these and have taken on board your criticism. We hope you will reconsider your decision to avoid a return visit. Regards - The George Inn

Reviewed 2 July 2014

From the welcoming friendly reception from the landlord to the wonderful warm atmosphere, excellent food and service and fantastic location, the whole experience was thoroughly enjoyable! Given the fact it was a Monday and the chef was having a night off the Landladys food was great, my friend and I had the Chicken Tikka Madras and the sticky toffee pudding and the chocolate brownie for desert, it was all really good. We drank the Black Sheep on draft which was great as well. I really wish the couple well who are running this place, I highly recommend this venue, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank columchris
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just returned home after a really good few days in the Dales. We stayed at The George Inn for 3 nights and from the start were made to feel welcome by Ed, Jackie, Jeff the chef and not forgetting George the Jack Russell. We loved the character of the inn itself but what made the difference was the way Ed and Jackie treated us. They seemed to really enjoy what they do and the feel really was more like a home, especially in the evenings when everyone would sit in the small bar telling stories and having a laugh. The food was something else that impressed us. We ate in every night we were there and the food was delicious. My husband liked the steak and blue cheese pie in particular and the sticky toffee pudding was yummy. Sometimes things like the vegetables being overcooked can let the meal down but everything was cooked perfectly. Apparently Jeff has only been there for 10 weeks but he certainly seems to be a great find. Oh and my husband wanted me to mention the Black Sheep beer which he managed to consume a fair amount of! We stayed in room 3 which had lovely views of the river and church and a bath which was much needed after a long days walking.
We are already planning a return visit in the autumn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fiona222
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the George whilst walking the Dalesway in June.
Only stayed one night but would thoroughly recommend it.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was a good size with a comfortable twin bed, however you did have to duck whilst getting in and out of bed to avoid bumping your head on the ceiling beams. George the Jack Russell puppy provided huge entertainment and will no doubt only get more entertaining as he grows. The excellent breakfast ensured we didn’t have to worry about lunch whilst walking the next leg to Dent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Matt C
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just returned from a truly fantastic weekend's stay at the George.

It's a brilliant pub! I wouldn't want to lead you on and say it's perfect - the owners are relatively new and are still addressing some small legacy issues. It's also a small pub with a small kitchen that isn't completely flexible in meeting heavy demand.

These downsides are however hugely outweighed by the enormous positives. It's the friendliest pub I've ever been to. Ed, Jackie (the owners), Jeff the chef and George the dog just make you feel incredibly welcome and like part of the family. Their involved and friendly attitude encourages everyone else in the pub to talk and have fun, and the result - for us at least - was a really memorable and incredible weekend.

The beer (Black sheep, 2 Wharfedale beers and others) was great and the food (evening meal and breakfast) was absolutely wonderful - including a delicious pink, succulent and tender rump of lamb.

This pub really deserves a recommendation - though I'm not sure I want everyone to know about it. Go there with expectations of a small, beautiful, isolated Dales pub and I hope you'll come away delighted - with expectations far surpassed as mine were.

Ed - I know you won't reply to this as you don't know how to (!) - but many thanks from all of us to you, Jackie, Jeff (and George) for a great weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank R B
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We called in today for Lunch, we were asked if we wanted the roast. We had had a large breakfast earlier on so we didn't fancy the roast dinner. we were offered an alternative instead. A cheese sandwich, scampi in a basket, chicken in a basket or burger in a basket. In such a small pub this was very kind gesture as when a roast is in full swing other options cause some difficulty in a tiny kitchen. The lovely staff were so welcoming and thank goodness they're interested in the traditions of this historic inn as the candle still burns where it always has done.
The quality of the food wasn't amazing when it arrived, and I'm not sure about them being served in a basket. I will have to make a return visit when the usual menu is on. There's potential with this place - but it's not quite right yet.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Matthew A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hubberholme
Red Lion Hotel
The White Lion Inn
The Blue Bell Inn
The Blue Bell Inn
#2 of 10 in Kettlewell

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!